D1fishr

Brass Sash Chain

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I did a search and only came up with text.  Does anyone have a link or pictures of eel rigging or rigged eels done with sash chain?  Maybe @DZ or @SC can step in to help.  Thanks!

14 mins ago, SC said:

I never used it (many reasons) but it's pictured in many older bass books

Thank you, I was attempting to explain it to someone, but wanted a picture to support my description. 

1 hour ago, AKotoun said:

You can get it on Mc Master. They also have tiny stainless steel chain. 

They really a good source.

I remember using these in the CCC about 50-60 years ago. My Dad made them but they were for ell skins, not a whole eel. We rigged whole eel in a variety of ways either weighted or unweighted. Dad used brass sash chain attached to a piece of half inch  brass pipe cut on an angle. I remember some were made of SS bead chain but they were store bought. The hallow pipe would keep the skin inflated, the current did the rest. I had some of these around and will take a look, no promises, but I will post if I can find one. Probably weighed about 4 oz. Penn squider, 36# nylon line, split bamboo rods.... not for the meek.

I have some that we used rigged on Tony Acetta Pet Spoons.  I’ll look around for the files and post them. 

28 mins ago, Cascade said:

I remember using these in the CCC about 50-60 years ago. My Dad made them but they were for ell skins, not a whole eel. We rigged whole eel in a variety of ways either weighted or unweighted. Dad used brass sash chain attached to a piece of half inch  brass pipe cut on an angle. I remember some were made of SS bead chain but they were store bought. The hallow pipe would keep the skin inflated, the current did the rest. I had some of these around and will take a look, no promises, but I will post if I can find one. Probably weighed about 4 oz. Penn squider, 36# nylon line, split bamboo rods.... not for the meek.

15 mins ago, DZ said:

I have some that we used rigged on Tony Acetta Pet Spoons.  I’ll look around for the files and post them. 

Thanks guys!  I’m an old soul and was feeling nostalgic. This stuff is before my time, but I have been exposed to it.  I may even give it a try with the old Squiddah!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had these out on the garage.  I think they can be used for rigged eels.  Two feel like tin, and one is lead. 

717ABF8B-7625-4BFA-BEFD-CC69ED9C0ACD.jpeg

Edited by D1fishr

I still use sash chain for rigging the TA spoons.  Back in the day we did it this way to prevent bluefish bite offs of the rear hook.

We found the chain allowed more action and also added weight to get deeper than nylon covered wire.  

26198610_1203896409742433_8090325309964502152_o.jpg

26232684_1203896466409094_7965558298045794196_o.jpg

11 mins ago, DZ said:

I still use sash chain for rigging the TA spoons.  Back in the day we did it this way to prevent bluefish bite offs of the rear hook.

We found the chain allowed more action and also added weight to get deeper than nylon covered wire.  

26198610_1203896409742433_8090325309964502152_o.jpg

26232684_1203896466409094_7965558298045794196_o.jpg

Perfect, thank you!

On 5/23/2022 at 10:44 AM, D1fishr said:

I had these out on the garage.  I think they can be used for rigged eels.  Two feel like tin, and one is lead. 

717ABF8B-7625-4BFA-BEFD-CC69ED9C0ACD.jpeg

Don't, under ANY circumstances, put a dead eel on one of those! :ph34r: