DoorGunner

Watch out for this reel.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Tried it and took it off my rod and will never go back on. Was going to order a new Okuma Bait Feeder reel this past winter. Was searching on line and found another name out there called Sougayilang. Don't know why but I decided to give one a try just for something different.

For me it seems like poor design and for the life of me I can't figure out why they did it. I was going to use it for carp fishing and using two rods I need the bait feeders so when I hook one I can flip the feeder on the second so if another carp hits while I'm fighting one I won't loose the rod.

Okuma is set up so when you flip the feeder lever to the back drag the lever is back and away from the body of the reel. Turn the handle and it flips flush to the body of the reel and you are on the fighting drag. The Sougayiland is the opposite so the feeder position is with the lever flush to the body and the fighting drag is when the lever is away. 

Last week I was carp fishing and both rods were on my rod holder right next to each other. The Sougayiland reel had a good bite and I was ready with my hand right above the rod ready to set the hook. Finally the carp took it and as I reach down with my hand my fingers hit the lever and flipped it to the feeder position and the hookset just ended up with line flying off the spool.

I set the rod back down on the rod holder and did the same process five times and three times my fingers tripped the lever back to the feeder position. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

The reel in the fighting position.

IMG_1165.JPG.8080f84e1ff5cf710d4fe32a9e9ab451.JPG

The reel in the feeder position.

628b01f48733f_IMG_1166(3).JPG.8ac7f1c2ac38bdf1f2d009ecfbcf970f.JPG

Put the reel on the top shelf in my shed behind some boxes. Won't use it again unless it was the last reel left and won't give it away because I wouldn't do that to another fisherman.   

You hope for Okuma after taking so much angler feedback to help their product and it looks like not much has changed.

9 hours ago, Kapfish said:

I gave up on okuma years ago. You bought a sougayiland? Why? What even is that? No offense but you have to know better.

Don't see anything wrong with trying something different. Gave Sougayiland a try just like someone way before me gave Shimano a try. Then you can pass info along on a site like SOL that may help others. 

On 5/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, DoorGunner said:

Don't see anything wrong with trying something different. Gave Sougayiland a try just like someone way before me gave Shimano a try. Then you can pass info along on a site like SOL that may help others. 

Thanks for the info. Long shot but if its not too late you should try for the refund.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/23/2022 at 1:24 PM, bigfish4me said:

Bummer on the reel being a dud, you can turn any reel into a bait feeder with a clothes pin and a piece of mono.

C0C1FEA9-C7D1-4E6C-9A8B-2DD00B5EDF43.jpeg

can also cut a rubber band and then tie it to your foregrip. slide loop of line under the rubber band with bail open. 

Edited by BrianZ

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, DoorGunner said:

They are part of that group of Amazon chinese reel producers, just like Kast King for example. I had decent luck with a Kast King "Sharky III" baitfeeder reel but it was hands down leagues behind my Shimano Baitrunner. For the budget minded it's not terrible, but if you hook a giant fish or ironically a big shark or ray you might be in for a hard time. Schoolies etc are fine, but a big big fish I would not trust it.... the plastic reel stem is very prone to snapping especially in colder weather. I snapped one in the bed of my truck driving. Not knocking it for what it was. Just not very durable. The thing with chinese no-name reels is that they always cheap out on something, whether that something is important to the structural integrity of the reel or not is what you have to watch for. Name brand chinese made reels have to live up to a minimum level, you take a risk buying completely off-brand stuff. YMMV - slow ride take it easy

Edited by Slowwwride
egregious typos

I bought a Sougayiland long cast reel about 4 years ago for $45 on Amazon and it was the worst POS I've ever owned.  It started locking up after my first use.  I ended up removing my braid and bought a Penn Conflict LC.  Since that, I've decided to purchase better quality gear, rather than taking the chance with the knock off garbage.  My Penn's and Shimano's have not let me down, yet...