TightLined

Van Staal VR150 & Lamiglas GSB10LS - Good Pairing?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have a Van Staal VR150 and recently purchased a Lamiglas GSB10LS 10' Light (GSB1202L blank) - is this a good pairing or is the 10' too large a rod for the VR150? Haven't used or taken the tags off the Lami yet so I can exchange if need be. Have received conflicting advice after purchasing it based on advice! For use in the surf on the East End of Long Island, South Shore beaches... (more) advice (conflicting or not!) is appreciated! Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skip the advice. Take off the tags and go fishing. You're overthinking this.

 

The outfit might be light for a NE gale under the light, but that's not happening now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's a great surf rig. I fish something similar (same rod but one piece model and a VS200). You'll love it. Very versatile. Jigs, plugs, live and rigged eels.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The outfit might be light for a NE gale under the light, but that's not happening now.

That’s about right. Nice NS setup too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel that class reel great on 8-10’ rods, and is best on a 9’.  What you feel and think is what matters most. The setup has to feel right for YOU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jayfish said:

If it feels good in your hands you will do fine !    

Simple, but great advice. Welcome to SOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect pairing. I have the VR150 on a 9' BH SBS and feel it's a little heavy for that rod. I put it on my 11' BH SBS while waiting for my VSX200 to return from SWE and it felt great. The VR150 is not that light at 18.7 oz, especially compared to the 12 oz. VSX150. I can't speak to whether or not that rod is good for where you are fishing, but it will pair perfectly with a 10', IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the great responses guys! So I’m leaning to taking off the tags and fishing the GSB 10L with the VR15 after your input… then I was told again that the VR 150 is too small for that rod by someone, and I should go 9’, but I don’t see it, and it seems fine to me. Am I right? Give a man some final reassurance please! I’m going nuts over the decision because of the price tag on this thing and I want to make sure I get it right! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're well equipped. Stop worrying.

 

Matching rods to reels is one of the most over-thought, over-discussed pseudo-issues in fishing, along with the perfect "balance" of rod and reel, and the incredible secret must-have plug.

 

You will never, never, never, ever get unanimous agreement about anything on the Internet. Not on tackle, not on women, not any anything. You will die of old age trying.

 

Go fishing.

 

P.S. And forget about finding the last worthwhile Incredible Must-Have Secret Plug. I own the last three ever made, and they're not for sale.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TightLined said:

Thanks for all the great responses guys! So I’m leaning to taking off the tags and fishing the GSB 10L with the VR15 after your input… then I was told again that the VR 150 is too small for that rod by someone, and I should go 9’, but I don’t see it, and it seems fine to me. Am I right? Give a man some final reassurance please! I’m going nuts over the decision because of the price tag on this thing and I want to make sure I get it right! 

Fire your advisor. You will find that it pairs perfectly. IMO an Imbalance is more noticable when the reel is too heavy for the rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2022 at 4:53 PM, TightLined said:

I have a Van Staal VR150 and recently purchased a Lamiglas GSB10LS 10' Light (GSB1202L blank) - is this a good pairing or is the 10' too large a rod for the VR150? Haven't used or taken the tags off the Lami yet so I can exchange if need be. Have received conflicting advice after purchasing it based on advice! For use in the surf on the East End of Long Island, South Shore beaches... (more) advice (conflicting or not!) is appreciated! Thanks! 

I have my Van Staal VR 150 on an ODM genesis II 10ft. 1-3.5 oz lures. It’s as good as it gets IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.