Chris76

Anyone get out for sea bass opening tweekend?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Can anyone here who fishes for BSB in "the popular places" please send me direct email (jason@littlesister1.com) with the estimated or actual count of how many other boats you saw out fishing the day you were catching sea bass? "The MRIP Figures", that cost us a reduction of a fish/person/day is based on the math that 2148 boats with an average of 3.5 person/boat were fishing for BSB 7 days/week from the opener to the end of June.

I'm guessing that is very far from reality (but I am not there to count myself) but actual numbers from people who are there will help.

Thank you!

Captain Jason Colby

Little Sister Charters

Fished opening day Saturday in Buzzards Bay. Fog was very thick. Jigging bucktail with gulp on both hooks. Not much luck. One keeper after 2hrs with two of us on the boat. Made a move and tried Tog fishing with green crabs. No Tog but 2 more keeper sea bass.

Fished Tuesday alone. First drift with the same set up bucktail etc. nothing. Next drift put squid on both hooks. Limited out in about an hour. I guess it pays to have a plan B.

5 hours ago, Wfmdfm1 said:

Fished opening day Saturday in Buzzards Bay. Fog was very thick. Jigging bucktail with gulp on both hooks. Not much luck. One keeper after 2hrs with two of us on the boat. Made a move and tried Tog fishing with green crabs. No Tog but 2 more keeper sea bass.

Fished Tuesday alone. First drift with the same set up bucktail etc. nothing. Next drift put squid on both hooks. Limited out in about an hour. I guess it pays to have a plan B.

About how many other boats did you see fishing around you?

On 5/23/2022 at 11:54 PM, Pescador710 said:

Took the yak out for my first sea bass trip of the year this morning. A little choppy but the drift speed was good. Took a half hour to find a pile of them then limited out on 19”+ knobheads in no time. Trolled up a few 6-8 lb blues on the way in.

Water temps ranged from 56 to over 60. Sea bass found in 23 to 40 ft. Blues were spitting up big squid.

Lots of squid around

squid-stuck-in-mahone-bay.jpg

3 hours ago, jason colby said:

When I was out on Thursday I saw two other boats.     

5 hours ago, jason colby said:

I was on a boat running radar Saturday. Way less boats than I expected for opening day at the ledge. 

19 hours ago, jason colby said:

SAturday the boats I could see were very few because of the fog. Radar showed many boats as expected for day one. Tuesday there were in the mile area maybe 4 one being a head boat. 

So you guys have not seen "an average of over 2000 boats/day"?

That was the number they used (with the MRIP System) to reduce the sea bass daily bag to 4 fish....

Please continue to post (or email me) the number of boats you see fishing BSB through June. I will make sure the info gets to where it needs to go.

Thank you!

Anyone have any luck in cape cod bay yet? Also curious, when do fluke start coming inshore north of the cape? I did well in the middle/end of summer last year.

Out of westport I saw 4.out by the ledges.  I wasn't fishing for them. Ended up getting into some bluefish and didn't have the time. Going to give it a go tomorrow 

3 hours ago, jason colby said:

How many boats were fishing BSB today?

I was out again today and definitely more boats than on Thursday, which is not a surprise.   There were less boats than I expected though.   I was east of the ledge and probably saw 10 boats out for BSB plus some kayaks.    Little slow today for me.   Got my limit in about 90 minutes but no giants and not very steady.   I only kept two the first 2-3 hours hoping to get some BSB over 20”.   Kept one more later in AM.   all three around about “18 each.  

7 hours ago, mcnar said:

Anyone have any luck in cape cod bay yet? Also curious, when do fluke start coming inshore north of the cape? I did well in the middle/end of summer last year.

already here

I'm probably personally seeing anywhere from 100 to 200 boats including kayaks fishing every time I have gone out. I would say on a nice calm weekend during peak seabass time (opener thru mid june) there is probably around 1000 boats fishing seabass in this state throughout the day. now nice weekday I would cut that number to a couple hundred