Chris76

Anyone get out for sea bass opening tweekend?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

If so how did you do?  Any bigger fish yet in the mix? Water is still cold. Was 53 when I went out Friday.. I'm going to try to get out mid week if weather is good. Thanks for any info in advance. 

It’s slow still kinda early upper buzz bay water is cold some bass around lots of boats out look for warmer water temperatures as of today 

Yeah, l kind of felt it my be a little early too with cold water temps. Hopefully these 2 warm days wiill kickstart things. I got a couple in about 40 ft of water Friday doing a little prospecting with metal  jigs but both were shorts

3 hours ago, stifftip said:

It’s slow still kinda early upper buzz bay water is cold some bass around lots of boats out look for warmer water temperatures as of today 

At what temp do they get more active?

Went out Saturday with a friend in his boat. Limited on BSB and then went for stripers. Found blitzing fish on tiny bait, mostly small but one 41” striper in the mix. 

Posted (edited)

got my limit in 30 minutes Saturday evening. then this morning me and my buddy got our limit in around an hour and a half. all nice males.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

26 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

got my limit in 30 minutes Saturday evening. then this morning me and my buddy got our limit in around an hour and a half. all nice males.

How deep?

I'm hoping to go Friday if the weather holds.   Looking like it could be a lot of wind.   Still early though.  

Went out today to look for them, plenty of small ones..... biggest was only 14" ...... ZERO fluke.... not hitting the right place. 

2 keeper tog, 1 HUGE scup and plenty of smaller ones. Wind held out until 9-10am then start whipping. Not as bad as they forecasted depends on where you fish.

I''m not asking for specific spots but  what general area are you guys fishing?  I'm out of westport harbor. I'm guessing water is colder  outside westport than buzzards bay so fishing may be slower for me than someone out of Wareham or south cape for example.

Took the yak out for my first sea bass trip of the year this morning. A little choppy but the drift speed was good. Took a half hour to find a pile of them then limited out on 19”+ knobheads in no time. Trolled up a few 6-8 lb blues on the way in.

Water temps ranged from 56 to over 60. Sea bass found in 23 to 40 ft. Blues were spitting up big squid.

Going tomorrow morning, wind looks tougher on Friday so we moved our trip up a day.       

Went out yesterday with a friend with a game plan of targeting sea bass, but looking for some stripers for the first 15-20 minutes.   We ran into a large school of stripers chasing small baitfish on the way out and never really left them.   Fished them for a few hours, with fish anywhere between 18-25".   If it was just me, I would have left them and targeted the sea bass as we knew the wind was schedule to pick up later in the AM.  But he loves striper fishing and had never caught a blue, so we stayed on them.   

Things started to slow down a bit, so we shifted over to sea bass but by then the wind was pretty strong and the seas sloppy.   We did a few drifts but it was tough with the conditions.  Threw out the drift sock which helped a bit but fishing with drift socks is a pain and just means the conditions suck.  We fished for about 20-30 minutes and my friend wanted to go back to top water so we went back to the stripers.   Caught a few large blues and some more stripers and called it a day.    While bottom fishing we caught some small seabass, large porgy, and a small tog.       

So while things definitely did not turn out as expected, it was a great day on the water.   While I would have preferred to spend more time bottom fishing, my friend caught a nice 5-8 lb bluefish and a ton of stripers.   And fishing topwater stripers all morning on a sunny day is never a bad thing.