SC

Nose Loop Size and Shape

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Every change changes everything. My opinion is this aspect is as critical as more widely discussed aspects of plug presentation such as nose wire or lip adjustment yet I can't recall ever seeing the topic discussed discussed and am curious why? Any opinions? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Prolly just taken for granted. Most guys use bought plugs and customs and assume the plug is set up properly to fish. I make my own and set them up with loops I can tie a loop knot to or a Rapala knot. :howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

I haven't noticed much change how using different loop knots effects swimming action but also havent studied it too closely. Of course tested the strength of them. I do like the tag to point at the lure and tie a smallish loop to reduce the small chance of snagging when throwing around submerged timber.

Edited by BobBarker
clarity

Hasn't the use of quick clips like the breakaway or tactical angler pretty much made the loop knot obsolete?

I am cautious about having a split ring connected between the wire loop on the plug and a quick clip.  I remove  the split ring when using a quick clip as I think the double pivot point mutes the action of the plug.

16 mins ago, BobBarker said:

I haven't noticed much change how using different loop knots effects swimming action but also havent studied it too closely. Of course tested the strength of them. I do like the tag to point at the lure and tie a smallish loop to reduce the small chance of snagging when throwing around submerged timber.

I was referring to the stationary front nose loops on plugs

Okay, now I am interested.  On plugs with a horizontal line tie, I will bend wire loop up and down to change the running depth of the plug.  Bend down to run shallower and up for deeper.  I was tought to never mess with the actual lip, but to tune using the line tie.  

What else is there to do?  Did you used tune vertical wire loops on minnowbaits like a cordell?

6 mins ago, MikeK said:

Okay, now I am interested.  On plugs with a horizontal line tie, I will bend wire loop up and down to change the running depth of the plug.  Bend down to run shallower and up for deeper.  I was tought to never mess with the actual lip, but to tune using the line tie.  

What else is there to do?  Did you used tune vertical wire loops on minnowbaits like a cordell?

Plugs like a Cordell RF already come with vertical line ties. Not the subject of this post but since you mentioned it most realize that bending a horizontal line tie up to achieve greater depth as the direction of pull is at an upwards angle but fail to realize a vertical line tie is doing the exact same thing but never is mentioned. The upwards direction of pull is already present due to the vertical line tie.

The point of this post was trying to point out that the larger the front nose loop is on a plug the farther away the point in which the plug will pivot and the farther away the pivot the less stable it becomes and the more likely it will turn over in rougher water or at closer distances from the caster.

I'm trying to discuss little discussed nuances that I feel are important and often "explain away" differences in otherwise "identical" lures and are the most likely reason some believe a particular lure is "luckier" than identical baits and are more often than not the reason why one guy is catching while other guys are not.

I think that size and shape of nose loop coming into play is at least partially dependent on whether one attaches with a direct cinched down knot or a loop knot or clip. IMO a loop knot or clip allows the plug to work more freely as opposed to a cinched down knot which acts as a leash and dampens action.

34 mins ago, afterhours said:

I think that size and shape of nose loop coming into play is at least partially dependent on whether one attaches with a direct cinched down knot or a loop knot or clip. IMO a loop knot or clip allows the plug to work more freely as opposed to a cinched down knot which acts as a leash and dampens action.

Here is how I came up with the point I am trying to get across. I noticed after rewiring a successful metal lip that the action was different. The only semi-noticeable difference to me was my front nose loop was a larger diameter so I cut the wire off and rewired the plug again with the same diameter as the original and the action was again different. Now I was curious as I also built a few plugs from scratch. What I did was to put a kink in the thru wire so it had to be semi wedged into the plug body. I did the same thing in the rear. The wires were not connected as this was a test. I noticed that whenever the front line tie wire was slightly pulled forward the action would change. The point I'm trying to make is pulling the wire forward which did initiate a change in action is no different than changing the diameter of the loop size as both change the location at which the plug begins to pivot - snap, or tied direct will not be the same as each other but nevertheless the line tie/nose loop is undisputedly where the plug "begins". Where that point is in proximately to the  swimming lip (multiple planes on a metal lip and usually a single plane on a minnow swimmer) has a definitive influence in how the plug will swim and I think is often overlooked in comparison to more widely discussed nuances such as bending nose loops or metal lips, changing hook sizes or styles, hardware change, loading or other means of implementing action change, realized or not. The difference being some are recognized and discussed and some likely fly under the radar. or deemed imagination or unimportant. 

Edited by SC

13 mins ago, afterhours said:

SC what change did you notice when you extended forward?

Sloppier action with more rollout I guess would be my description. More randomness as opposed to a set cadence if the description makes sense in any way. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that one way is better or worse and only trying to say that often I find it to be an overlooked subject. Most thigs don't matter until they do and when they do I feel that recognition of seemingly unimportant (to many) outliers has often made a big difference (to me). 

29 mins ago, SC said:

Most thigs don't matter until they do and when they do I feel that recognition of seemingly unimportant (to many) outliers has often made a big difference (to me). 

Very well said.

26 mins ago, SC said:

Sloppier action with more rollout I guess would be my description. More randomness as opposed to a set cadence if the description makes sense in any way. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that one way is better or worse and only trying to say that often I find it to be an overlooked subject. Most thigs don't matter until they do and when they do I feel that recognition of seemingly unimportant (to many) outliers has often made a big difference (to me). 

So moral to the story is; don't get sloppy because

dog nip GIF

SC I admire your attention to detail and engineering/design. It should be very obvious to any fisherman reading this thread why you achieved success in our sport. Early on after catching the Striper bug I was reading a instruction sheet that came with Rapala plugs at the time giving hints about tuning there lures via bending the line tie. It immediately occurred to me that if this was important enough for a manufacturer to include this in there packaging I should check it out. The filter return in my pool provided a valuable test tank. 

Another never discussed and very often overlooked problem area are the molded in hook hangers found on plastic plugs. More often than not they are so tear dropped in shape nothing could swing freely. Every new plug put into my rotation received a reshaping/rounding with a Ice Pic so the split ring never hung up. Common to find these all twisted after a good night.

13 mins ago, XBMX said:

Another never discussed and very often overlooked problem area are the molded in hook hangers found on plastic plugs. More often than not they are so tear dropped in shape nothing could swing freely. Every new plug put into my rotation received a reshaping/rounding with a Ice Pic so the split ring never hung up. Common to find these all twisted after a good night.

I also reprofiled my hangers with an icepick for the exact same reason

Edited by SC