Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Mini Split "Mr. Cool" DIY System

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, richie c said:

I was looking at this several years ago, the neighbor kid went to VoTech school and  now has his Master Lic. When I asked him about it he gave me a quote of 1600.00 installed for a single unit for the Lv rm., the home is only 1100 sq ft. He now has 4 or 5 trucks and the price went up to 5K.:waiting: My son, who I wanted to take HVAC in Vo Tech went for cooking/baking instead and spent 13 yrs in a kitchen, has been working for him for the last 11/2 years and really likes the work.   Whats the saying about having a Dr., lawyer or plumber in the family?:laugh: I'm going to look into this and have my son do the work for deal old mom and dad.

The unit I have, 24k , was plenty to satisfy  the demand this weekend. I am buying portable thermostats to test at ends but so far I was able to maintain 64 during the day and 68 at night. I am still going to keep a high efficiency window unit in bedroom window just in case we want to close the bedroom door. I would have bought a 2 zone or Multi-zone unit but it did not qualify for the Mass Save Rebate on the DIY kit. 
 

It's a powerful unit with multiple settings. I would not recommend to install it facing a sitting area. If you can, for the 1100 square feet. Choose a central location where it can have the best shot at satisfying equally. As best as you can. For esthetics and convenience of electrical I chose my location and it worked out. 

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting stuff, I've been thinking of a 2 head unit for our ground floor. What was the reason to go with the minisplit if you already had the ducting for central air? In one of the pics there's a register over the baseboard heat. Is the baseboard new and you got rid of the furnace in favor of a boiler?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Interesting stuff, I've been thinking of a 2 head unit for our ground floor. What was the reason to go with the minisplit if you already had the ducting for central air? In one of the pics there's a register over the baseboard heat. Is the baseboard new and you got rid of the furnace in favor of a boiler?

When I bought the house it came with oil forced hot air. It made sense to convert to gas for me. Ripping out the oil tank would give immediate space to the downstairs as well as removing the air handler after I get the mini split installed. I will see if I can find Zillow picture of the way the house looked when I bought it. I had everything kicking around to install the boiler and 1/2 the baseboard. It was a win and Mass Save kicked me back over 2 grand. Hoping to get 2500 more for the min too. From what I am understanding Mass Save wants a professional lic. on the install. My Master Plumbers will cover it. I know you live in New York, I would inquire about incentives are, if any. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Interesting stuff, I've been thinking of a 2 head unit for our ground floor. What was the reason to go with the minisplit if you already had the ducting for central air? In one of the pics there's a register over the baseboard heat. Is the baseboard new and you got rid of the furnace in favor of a boiler?

Found a pic. To expand living and area and potential for a legal inlaw  or 2 family it made the best sense to rip out the air handler and tank. My new gas condensing boiler is on far back wall on the right. Its in the other pic with partial oil tank still in view. That is all gone now, framed and rocked.

 

 

 

88690100-0D4E-45C2-A735-D301E17E3A9C.jpeg

A6170AB5-9DFE-40CE-8C0A-D55AD40A3853.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, The Riddler said:

When I bought the house it came with oil forced hot air. It made sense to convert to gas for me. Ripping out the oil tank would give immediate space to the downstairs as well as removing the air handler after I get the mini split installed. I will see if I can find Zillow picture of the way the house looked when I bought it. I had everything kicking around to install the boiler and 1/2 the baseboard. It was a win and Mass Save kicked me back over 2 grand. Hoping to get 2500 more for the min too. From what I am understanding Mass Save wants a professional lic. on the install. My Master Plumbers will cover it. I know you live in New York, I would inquire about incentives are, if any. 
 

 

 

I was going to ask if Mass Save had a new DIY rebate. I did my own Mitsubishi unit 6 or 7 years ago in my new addition. Should've done a 2 head unit and put one in the bedroom too. Thinking I might try another small single to cover the bedroom and that end of the house. But any Mass Save rebate I've looked at requires a licensed install. Knew you were a plumber - I'm not.  :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

 

I was going to ask if Mass Save had a new DIY rebate. I did my own Mitsubishi unit 6 or 7 years ago in my new addition. Should've done a 2 head unit and put one in the bedroom too. Thinking I might try another small single to cover the bedroom and that end of the house. But any Mass Save rebate I've looked at requires a licensed install. Knew you were a plumber - I'm not.  :laugh:

I think other members here can answer that. I believe Mass Save wants a license, not just plumbing. Electrical etc. Once the line set cover comes and I will install an outside reset t-stat for further savings, then I will start the rebate process. 
 

here is the form:

 

https://www.masssave.com/-/media/Files/PDFs/Save/Residential/Mini-split_Heat_Pump_Rebate_Form.pdf?la=en&hash=3D928BE15C4BDAA6F23798AB4CC91150D2BBD53E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I think other members here can answer that. I believe Mass Save wants a license, not just plumbing. Electrical etc. Once the line set cover comes and I will install an outside reset t-stat for further savings, then I will start the rebate process. 
 

here is the form:

 

https://www.masssave.com/-/media/Files/PDFs/Save/Residential/Mini-split_Heat_Pump_Rebate_Form.pdf?la=en&hash=3D928BE15C4BDAA6F23798AB4CC91150D2BBD53E

 

Yeah, they even want an "approved contractor" to get a rebate on a new woodstove installation. 

 

Don't think I can find anyone who will sign off on it if I DIY. Heck, not even sure I can find an installer if I don't also order the unit from them.  :why:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was shot down on the Self install via loan. That would have been a score. Even if I had to pay income tax on it and every  room would have had its own ceiling cartridge. 4-5 zones in all. Fujitsu stock came to 7400. The next best deal was the Mr. Cool. That was 2100 and change with shipping. Just front up the costs and hopefully get a check after inspection. You need to book Mass Save to come out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Riddler said:

A couple of box wrenches, cordless drill, 3 1/2"-4" hole saw. Used a hammer drill on the brick. Need a source for the electric. You open up an Allen wrench and that fills the system. Use soapy solution to check for leaks on the brass union connections. 

220?

Cabo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

 

Yeah, they even want an "approved contractor" to get a rebate on a new woodstove installation. 

 

Don't think I can find anyone who will sign off on it if I DIY. Heck, not even sure I can find an installer if I don't also order the unit from them.  :why:

 

 

The restrictions were tighter on the loan program. I was given misinformation to begin the job. When I spoke to Clear Result, who handles the loan program, they told me Self install is not allowed. Mass Save told me yes. 
The mini split program was rushed out and it left people wondering what was going on. It was hard to get the correct information but did later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Cabo2005 said:

220?

Cabo

Yeah, it says 21, online that is the only one I can find. If a 22 is found that would supercede.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised to see nothing in New York and small rebate numbers in Jersey. 
 

 

D91AE6DA-B5DA-42FD-A706-4D6E667982D9.png

026F5BFB-BBEA-4B90-8306-0E5A500F0E5A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.