Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Mini Split "Mr. Cool" DIY System

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Finally got delivered from KY on Friday. With the impending heat this weekend I was looking forward to installing this as soon as possible. 

Background:

I have a small shome for me and the lady. 24k BTU was all I needed. The condenser when I bought this home only had a one ton and it was plenty. Out the door shipped from Ingrams down in the deep south came to 2150 with everything including remote control. The good news for rebates? Mass Save offer a rebate for this system at 1800-2400 dollars. I will update this thread when I get the rebate. 

Install:

The hardest part about this job was going through the outside wall. I have a standard 5-6". Wall and a layer of brick. That really took an hour. The line set was the smallest available. I had a 10' run if that. Coiled up the rest neatly. The entire project was on youtube and the 3rd generation Mr. Cool is easy to put together. All skill levels can handle this. I used the old whip from my condenser and it made it a plug and play system. 4 hours and was done. 

Startup:

Once I hit the breaker on, I could not believe how quiet this system is. Ice cold and when needed in the fall and winter, super heart. 

line set cover tube:

the line set cover tube is backordered.  Not too keen on the white over the brick. I may ended up painting it brick red. 

E55F6B2F-1EDD-4F44-902B-3A16320C3752.jpeg

0B12A366-1FBC-40A0-B8E0-443CA760D748.jpeg

0B7BBD27-7523-4BD9-9558-C8176571ED87.jpeg

D552755B-7DD8-43D0-B50E-4E35A2B6A5FE.jpeg

4D1C5402-BDFB-4F77-924C-E66605DA945F.jpeg

Nice job on the DIY!

Just an FYI for those in, Mass, at least most of Mass, there is a $10,000 rebate through MASS Save that started this year... . Depending on the size of your home you could end up with a free system (a small house). For me and my 160-year-old house (11 small rooms) the total estimate is $18,000 - with the $10,000 rebate (covered by the installer) and using the (interest-free) Mass Save Heat Loan for the $8,000, it will be nothing out of pocket. The payback should only be a few years with the saving in oil, my furnace should last much longer with less use and even if I broke even, the value of the house will go up more than I put into it (central air) and I won't be putting in and taking out window AC units! It is not income-based, you just have to be using a participating utility and have your insulation up to program standards. 

39 mins ago, Reel Deely said:

I did one a couple of years ago and it was a breeze. Like you the hardest part was going through an 8” thick concrete wall.

FEF59983-6FD7-4800-98AA-E5021C962873.jpeg

DE75A51A-DE64-49CB-BE29-8367B3AFE47D.jpeg

Core drilling ! Fun! Your eyes in that pic speak volumes.

11 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Core drilling ! Fun! Your eyes in that pic speak volumes.

That’s my buddy, he works in Verizon buildings and apparently they do a lot of core drilling.

5 mins ago, Reel Deely said:

That’s my buddy, he works in Verizon buildings and apparently they do a lot of core drilling.

Looks like he knows what he’s doing. The horizontal ones are a challenge. I do a lot of verticals at my job.

21 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Looks like he knows what he’s doing. The horizontal ones are a challenge. I do a lot of verticals at my job.

It took 30 minutes to set up and 15 minutes to drill the hole

30 mins ago, Reel Deely said:

It took 30 minutes to set up and 15 minutes to drill the hole

That’s a fast time , takes quite a bit longer if you hit rebar.

14 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Finally got delivered from KY on Friday. With the impending heat this weekend I was looking forward to installing this as soon as possible. 

Background:

I have a small shome for me and the lady. 24k BTU was all I needed. The condenser when I bought this home only had a one ton and it was plenty. Out the door shipped from Ingrams down in the deep south came to 2150 with everything including remote control. The good news for rebates? Mass Save offer a rebate for this system at 1800-2400 dollars. I will update this thread when I get the rebate. 

Install:

The hardest part about this job was going through the outside wall. I have a standard 5-6". Wall and a layer of brick. That really took an hour. The line set was the smallest available. I had a 10' run if that. Coiled up the rest neatly. The entire project was on youtube and the 3rd generation Mr. Cool is easy to put together. All skill levels can handle this. I used the old whip from my condenser and it made it a plug and play system. 4 hours and was done. 

Startup:

Once I hit the breaker on, I could not believe how quiet this system is. Ice cold and when needed in the fall and winter, super heart. 

line set cover tube:

the line set cover tube is backordered.  Not too keen on the white over the brick. I may ended up painting it brick red. 

E55F6B2F-1EDD-4F44-902B-3A16320C3752.jpeg

0B12A366-1FBC-40A0-B8E0-443CA760D748.jpeg

0B7BBD27-7523-4BD9-9558-C8176571ED87.jpeg

D552755B-7DD8-43D0-B50E-4E35A2B6A5FE.jpeg

4D1C5402-BDFB-4F77-924C-E66605DA945F.jpeg

Maybe 2 pcs. of brown down spout with a 90 to cover it up?

1 hour ago, richie c said:

Maybe 2 pcs. of brown down spout with a 90 to cover it up?

The cover is going in the problem is my local supplier on Saturday is having supply chain issues. I don't know if it can be ordered brown but had plans on painting it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, The Riddler said:

The cover is going in the problem is my local supplier on Saturday is having supply chain issues. I don't know if it can be ordered brown but had plans on painting it.

I was looking at this several years ago, the neighbor kid went to VoTech school and  now has his Master Lic. When I asked him about it he gave me a quote of 1600.00 installed for a single unit for the Lv rm., the home is only 1100 sq ft. He now has 4 or 5 trucks and the price went up to 5K.:waiting: My son, who I wanted to take HVAC in Vo Tech went for cooking/baking instead and spent 13 yrs in a kitchen, has been working for him for the last 11/2 years and really likes the work.   Whats the saying about having a Dr., lawyer or plumber in the family?:laugh: I'm going to look into this and have my son do the work for deal old mom and dad.

Edited by richie c

8 hours ago, rathrbefishn said:

Very cool.  I had no idea that they had DIY kits for these.  So, no gauges to special tools needed, just prefilled lines? 

A couple of box wrenches, cordless drill, 3 1/2"-4" hole saw. Used a hammer drill on the brick. Need a source for the electric. You open up an Allen wrench and that fills the system. Use soapy solution to check for leaks on the brass union connections.