U.S. VS England

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, FlatWing said:

I do not know why, but I keep coming back and looking at this video - I would never try it, but it is quite mesmerizing

Sinker passes not far off his left side; it is very much close to an OH cast.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:50 PM, ZAFisher said:

Sinker passes not far off his left side; it is very much close to an OH cast.

Yes - except that there is a sinker travelling the wrong way for the weak of heart or occasionally clumsy (like me) - I would have to wear a hockey Goalie helmet. :howdy:

13 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Always use proper shock leader and cast safely …. To swing a led weight on a beach in the summer can get a little anxious when your line snaps and sends the weight down a crowded beach …..

Have you ever seen this happen?

It’s happened to me when I first started throwing bait casters …it would take a dozen or so casts but I would snap 25 lb mono then moved to 30 and it would still snap …all on 9-10-11-12 foot rods . I think some one actually killed him self in Long Island by hitting him self in the head …as for the present day I take the main line usually 18 - 20 lb mono and thread it thru at least 20 feet of 50 lb hollow core and Finnish it with gorilla glue … no knots , very strong .. it does take time … U tube does have videos …when a weight snaps off it going down the beech parrell to the water high and to the right for a righty and left for a lefty ….always use a shock leader 

• 7 months later...
On 5/22/2022 at 1:34 AM, ZAFisher said:

Both styles work. I grew up casting and fishing low reel. Now I use a high reel set up.

Incidentally, low reel for multipliers and fixed spool on heaver type rods has its roots in South Africa, not England or Europe.

my 1st experience with distance casting was in southern California. A man  from South Africa ,can't recall his name, started a surf fishing club. He was a distributor for Gemini and several other fishing products. what most impressed me was the rods he sold . It was a cox executive 4/0 -4  The reel seat was set 8" up from the butt. Took me a little while to figure out to use it. I still cast  low reel to this day. If you are going for large fish ,get a gut bucket.

39 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Purglas CQ 400/4 is powerful rod: 8oz + big bait

yes purglass. he showed us how to rig an 8oz weight with a whole sardine, or squid, get it out there as far as possible. At 1st I couldn't believe the fish we caught and released. shovel nose sharks, leopard sharks and giant sting rays. He was into weighing each fish and recording the catch. One night 3 of us landed over 300lbs of what he deemed inedibles.

prior to fishing with him, all I ever caught were small surf perch occasional corbina and small croakers.

2 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

If it was manufactured as a casting rod I think the guides will have a smaller diameter and low to the rod where a spinning rod will be elevated off the rod and a larger diameter… I know , some folks will put a casting reel on a spinning rod and never have a problem .

Yes. But what I'm getting at is, if you have a rod set up to cast low, will that effect the positioning of the guides, since the reel will be further away from the first guide?