KarpsnKatz

U.S. VS England

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

The other day, for the first time, I was watching some surf fishing videos from England on YouTube. I was amazed at the difference is casting technique from here. For instance they thumb the spool with their left hand(unless everyone in in England is a lefty), grip the rod up high with the right, and the rod butts appear to be shorter to accommodate casting from the left. So the question is, which style is technically correct, ours or theirs? Or does it really matter. I mean primarily in the fishing sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes, the Euro style of the reel way down low and addressed with the left hand (for a righty) is quite popular.  And they fish that way too, usually by adding a "reducer" to the butt (an odd name because it's really about a 12" or so rod extension).  This style increases the rod length and allows for a longer payload drop off the rod tip.  Not all Euros use the reel down style, and not all Yankees use the reel up style.  There is no correct style.  Use whatever works best for ya.

Edited by BeachBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

 Both styles work. I grew up casting and fishing low reel. Now I use a high reel set up.

Incidentally, low reel for multipliers and fixed spool on heaver type rods has its roots in South Africa, not England or Europe.

 

 

Edited by ZAFisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BeachBob said:

Yes, the Euro style of the reel way down low and addressed with the left hand (for a righty) is quite popular.  And they fish that way too, usually by adding a "reducer" to the butt (an odd name because it's really about a 12" or so rod extension). 

Well, I still have some rods with 34mm butt caps and high mounted reels with 32mm reel seats.

 

For me the ergonomic size for the handle should be 26mm. In the case of the 34mm handle, it needs to be "reduced" down to 26mm. An appropriate size tube would be inserted into the handle.

 

Should the OD of tube and handle be the same, it would be properly called an extension.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don B said:

Well, I still have some rods with 34mm butt caps and high mounted reels with 32mm reel seats.

 

For me the ergonomic size for the handle should be 26mm. In the case of the 34mm handle, it needs to be "reduced" down to 26mm. An appropriate size tube would be inserted into the handle.

 

Should the OD of tube and handle be the same, it would be properly called an extension.

 

 

I get that, but no matter whether the addition to the rod has a spigot end to keep the OD of rod addition the relatively same flowing diameter, or if the addition has a tapered end going into the rod's butt end and the entire addition is of a smaller diameter than the rod butt's diameter, both of these rod additions will extend the length of the rod.  I have a reducer on a 13'3" Zziplex M4 HiFlex Match rod that adds a bit over a foot of smaller diameter butt end to the length of the rod.  That said, yer spot on Don, and I do get the need for the type of rod addition terminology, reducer or extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

As a point-of-fact, John Holden advocated the use of plate-type fuji reel seats for fishing - one located low on the butt for casting, and then immediate relocation of the reel to a higher seat for more comfortable reeling in and/or fighting of the fish. In addition, there have been/currently are several "sliding reel seats available that either have a fore and aft locking ring or a coaster for tightening the reel seat in place - I use the 2 seat arrangement on my Shimano heaver and the sliding reel seat on my Zziplex and Century rods. Top seat pictured is Shimano, originally from my heaver, which no longer fit once I converted to Japanese Shrink Rubber for the handle (which I permanently extended by 12 inches with a carbon-fiber tube of forgotten origin).  Bottom is a Century seat, which is actually a modification of a readily available Fuji Graphite seat, easily made with a Dremel cutting wheel prior to the addition of the (Century) coaster.

WIN_20220522_08_48_47_Pro.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BeachBob said:

Yes, the Euro style of the reel way down low and addressed with the left hand (for a righty) is quite popular.  And they fish that way too, usually by adding a "reducer" to the butt (an odd name because it's really about a 12" or so rod extension).  This style increases the rod length and allows for a longer payload drop off the rod tip.  Not all Euros use the reel down style, and not all Yankees use the reel up style.  There is no correct style.  Use whatever works best for ya.

They were interesting videos to watch. One of them was a rather long video that broke down the mechanics of a cast. They stressed the importance of lead position on the drop, as well as keeping the lead "outside" of the rod tip. A lot of stress on arm position too. It seems like good info, because them guys can launch! The bad part is, now I'm looking at magged reels, which I probably really don't need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

 Both styles work. I grew up casting and fishing low reel. Now I use a high reel set up.

Incidentally, low reel for multipliers and fixed spool on heaver type rods has its roots in South Africa, not England or Europe.

 

 

Thats interesting. Do you know what the thought process was behind lowering the reel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like using Fuji plate reel seats coastered on blanks with heat shrink tubing on the butt section.  Plate seats allow easy on/for for reels.

 

Lowered reel seats allow a longer drop off the rod tip and a fuller flex of the rod.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Thats interesting. Do you know what the thought process was behind lowering the reel?

To use a smaller dia reel seat / blank; started years ago with large dia blanks that needed reducing to be easily held

Also, South Africans used (and some still do) Scarborough reels that are always mounted low down, when Penn multipliers (specifically) became more readily  available here post WW II, I imagine anglers just put them on the rods they already owned.

 

 

KP Reel.jpg

Scarborough reel low.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

To use a smaller dia reel seat / blank; started years ago with large dia blanks that needed reducing to be easily held

Also, South Africans used (and some still do) Scarborough reels that are always mounted low down, when Penn multipliers (specifically) became more readily  available here post WW II, I imagine anglers just put them on the rods they already owned.

 

 

KP Reel.jpg

Scarborough reel low.jpg

Thanks. That makes sense.

 

Fighting a big fish on those Scarborough's seems like it would be a challenge. Ever use one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Thanks. That makes sense.

 

Fighting a big fish on those Scarborough's seems like it would be a challenge. Ever use one?

No, but I'd like to learn to cast one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, BeachBob said:

Aren't those KP reels like the ones turned sideways for casting, like a fixed spool?

Nope.

You are thinking of Alvey reels.

 

 

 

Alvey ready to cast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.