boskonov

Gas prices a first

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Saw two 7-11s down 7 and 9 cents from yesterday. Anybody remember the gas wars in the early 70s, 17 to 19 cents. 2 dollars would fill up my 72 Datsun pickup, go to Hatteras for the weekend. Another dollar when I got back would cover back and forth to work for the week.

I was 16 in 1965, it cost me less than 75 cents to fill up my 50cc Suzuki and drive it for a week. Gas was $.28 per gallon and my Suzuki got 150mpg.

5 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I was 16 in 1965, it cost me less than 75 cents to fill up my 50cc Vespa scooter and

:rav:

About the cheapest I recall was about 1983 when I got my license - I remember paying about .75/gallon. That barely covers the tax on a gallon now :dismay: 

I remember when I got my license gass was just under a buck.  80 cent range?  And a gallon of water was about a buck.  Gas was cheaper than water. 

I remember 29.9 at the off brand stations, in NJ DEANS was one of the off brands, Hess was 35.9. The sad part is 2 years ago it was $1.89. This is crazy, near $100 to fill an economy auto.

Feel it for commuters and boat owners. 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

About the cheapest I recall was about 1983 when I got my license - I remember paying about .75/gallon. That barely covers the tax on a gallon now :dismay: 

yep.  I remember maybe 80 something cents in 86 or 87 when I got my license.  $5 kept me going to school and back for a while in my chevette

2 hours ago, makorider said:

yep.  I remember maybe 80 something cents in 86 or 87 when I got my license.  $5 kept me going to school and back for a while in my chevette

When I got my license in the 1950s regular was 17.9 cents and high test was 19.9 and then a few years later it was 24.9 for high test.