Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nicebass

POISONING!!!

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

The topic of this post is of great concern to all of us. I recently overheard two fishermen, one of whom is a respected member here, discussing "loaded" lures, specifically redfins. For those of you unfamiliar with the technique it involves drilling a hole in the lure and then injecting it with mercury, and then plugging the hole. The technique gives the lure added weight and thereby increases castability. Gentlemen, this technique should be STOPPED IMMEDIATELY! Aside from the grave danger the handling of this TOXIC product, we need to think about the environmental impact of introducing MORE mercury into our water system. One gram of mercury, the amount found in a thermometer, is enough to contaminate a 20 acre lake! Break of one of these "loaded" redfins, filled with 20+ grams and we are talking about doing a tremendous amount of damage to the ecosystem. We can barely eat fish as it is; please help preserve our waters. We need to be responsible and end this practice of "loading" lures. As an alternative some have used mineral oil but complain that it leaks out over time. Please help spread the word on this one.

Thanks!

[ 03-13-2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: nicebass ]

nicebass... I couldn't agree more. Well said. Tossing mercury out there is not only very dangerous it's extremely unnecessary! I find it hard to believe that anyone is actually still employing this technique but if you are please consider stopping.

Insert gratuitous crying indian here~~ crying.gif

Are you sure they were talking about mercury? I've heard of loading with water and lead shot,but not mercury. Can you even buy that stuff anymore?

[ 03-13-2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: longshot ]

Yes, high levels of mercury are definatley dangerous and have been found in many contaminated fish. Also, if you do eat fish and you know that the water is polluted, you should limit your serving to one per week.

BK

Are you sure they were talking about mercury? I've heard of loading with water and lead shot,but not mercury. Can you even buy that stuff anymore?

100% positive they were talking about mercury. It used to be a popular practice, but I didn't think people were still doing it. It is more difficult to obtain now but certainly not impossible.

Yes, high levels of mercury are definatley dangerous and have been found in many contaminated fish. Also, if you do eat fish and you know that the water is polluted, you should limit your serving to one per week.

BK

True story:

My wife's uncle caught a large halibut in Alaska and had it steaked and frozen. He brought it home and consumed it over a period of one year. (His wife did not eat fish.) He started losing mental capacity 6-8 months later and died shortly thereafter. Cause of death was mercury poisoning. Eating that fish killed him. Granted, he ate large amounts, but it is scary to think that that was in Alaska! I'm not trying to scare people from eating fish -- I eat fish at least 3-4x/month, but it is something to be aware of. This was not "some guy that my friend knows" it was my wife's uncle.

100% positive they were talking about mercury. It used to be a popular practice, but I didn't think people were still doing it. It is more difficult to obtain now but certainly not impossible.

Lead's not the best to use either. I hope whoever you're talking about reads this Topic and stops the practice- if indeed they were serious.

Let's see... there's water... bunker oil (thatmakes sense) but mercury? You'd have to be dumb as a box o' rocks. rolleyes.gif

"Here's your sign."

Are you sure they said mercury? I can't imagine anyone having access to it that freely. It's a hazardous material that has to be reported. Inhalation isn't recommmended and a self contained breathing apparatus is required. Just seems foolish.

I know I'm going to pay for this but here I go...

I'll try to clear this up a bit. I used mercury for years in my plugs and so did a lot of guys it worked better than any thing else. I would heat up a nail with a lighter to soften up the plastic than use a syringe to inject the Mercury though the plug heat up the nail again and close the hole. Once it was said to be a health hazard I stopped using it and switch to antifreeze biodegradable of coarse. Getting Mercury back than was not a problem at all any hardware store sold it. Some of you may be too young and don't know this but science teachers would go around the class putting Mercury in your hand no one knew it was bad for you. I have not met anyone in years that use's Mercury now.

Eddie

The reason they used mercury was because of its weight. A "flask" of mercury weighs 76#s and is approximately the size of a quart oz beer. The same size container of water weighs 2#s.