rkw

higher seat for old guy with fake hip

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've read several older threads about a similar question.  None were actually answered for what I kinda sorta need. 

Had a new total hip almost 5yrs ago next Jan 27.  Seems like just yesterday really.  generally it's been OK though. unfortunately it didn't fully work out pain free as there were complications during the surgery as in the original stem was not near big or long enough for the size of my femur. apparently.  Extra hour under and extra unit of blood neither of which are that great to learn, but meh, life goes on. 

Can't sleep on the left side (oops yeah left hip) as I apparently  have most of the last week.  Ice works get over pain meds as a miracle cure so it's ok just part of my concern for a kayak. Sitting is OK as long as I'm in a chair where I can not be at a 90-deg sitting position.  So far from learning I need to have the seat 18" or so above floor.  Hard to get exact info from mfg's.  So thrilled to find this sub-forum. 

So I'm looking at maybe an Old Town 136.  Might even play around with an outrigger I've seen on one, you know just for fun now & then. 

I'm not asking about padding or seat back height (doesn't matter for my needs) just finding a nice comfy taller seat to take a look at.  I just noticed the Old Town has a seat that does have a height adjustment which looks really close but not sure.  

I'm still in planning stages.  I just moved to Sacramento California and we have several wonderful rivers for King Salmon, Stripers and Steelhead migration for spawning.  I'm stuck bank fishing which is actually fine as I learn the rivers buuut just turned 61 on 5/11 and dang it, I wanna have a new toy!  hahaha... 

oh, just as an added bonus, I was Dx'd with Rheumatoid Arthritis way back when I was 9yrs old.  Luckily no significant joint disfigurement just pain in all large joints and hands (spent 40yrs writing code, go figure but hands are Fine while actually typing just have issues for physical stuff at times) 

Edited by rkw

Just know that as you go up, either you need a wider boat or you're less stable. A wide boat is slowwww, which may not matter if you're drifting a river down to a shuttle vehicle.

I have had my left hip replaced twice. I was on the table for seven hours the second time , had some complications but no matter. I fish out of a 14 foot Hurricane Skimmer with a low seat and I spend all day in my boat with only a occasional pee stop. I have found that putting a little padding under my hamstring muscles does the trick. also the adjustment of the pegs is critical. It took a  while to get it right but you are far better off staying as low as possible. Another part of the equation is after hip replacement you may loose some strength and mobility which possible could hinder your reaction time. In gnarly conditions you  would cant your hips to manage your stability, with a high seat this is very difficult having your center up high. Access to the water is also a consideration being lower allows a shorter paddle and less torque when you rotate your torso for your forward stroke. Try some boats, experiment with seats,  padding, and paddles. Good luck from one hipster to another. Hope it helps.

Edited by Fishinjohny

Nucanoe has a big tall seat with a 360 option and a wide open deck to stretch out on. I've nodded out a few times on mine.

41 mins ago, Fishinjohny said:

I have had my left hip replaced twice. I was on the table for seven hours the second time , had some complications but no matter. I fish out of a 14 foot Hurricane Skimmer with a low seat and I spend all day in my boat with only a occasional pee stop. I have found that putting a little padding under my hamstring muscles does the trick. also the adjustment of the pegs is critical. It took a  while to get it right but you are far better off staying as low as possible. Another part of the equation is after hip replacement you may loose some strength and mobility which possible could hinder your reaction time. In gnarly conditions you  would cant your hips to manage your stability, with a high seat this is very difficult having your center Access to the water is also a consideration being lower allows a shorter paddle and less torque when you rotate your torso for your forward stroke. Try some boats, experiment with seats,  padding, and paddles. Good luck from one hipster to another. Hope it helps.

A lot of awesome points here! Especially about being able to use a shorter paddle.  But I think the OP is intending to pedal. You're the first paddler I've seen post here with a Skimmer, very similar to my Caribbean 14.

Edited by gellfex

gellfex, I paddled both boat s found the skimmer to be a bit faster, and turning on edge was far superior. Both are good boats considering they are sit on tops.

I believe its navarette kayak fishing.  they sell a riser kit for hobies for about 30 bucks. I think its 1.5 inches 

6 hours ago, Fishinjohny said:

gellfex, I paddled both boat s found the skimmer to be a bit faster, and turning on edge was far superior. Both are good boats considering they are sit on tops.

You sound like you know your way around a paddle! A rarity in these parts where pedals are king. The only paddle boats that I've previously heard are as fast as the C-14 are the various derivatives of the Scupper Pro. Someone told me that even the South African boats are not as fast, but I have no 1st hand knowledge. The C-14 is great on a flat, but with no rocker it doesn't like a following sea. Weirdly, in chop it handles better under sail than paddled.

Solved the problem a few years ago. I purchased a turkey hunting portable seat from Amazon for about $40. This is like a small beach chair but more robust. It rests on the bottom of my native kayak. I can sit in that thing and fly fish for four hours without having to get out once.  Very comfortable!