Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 22 - May 29

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Morning tides should be better as the week goes along.

Certainly with the warmer weather (expected this weekend), water temps should rise rapidly in most protective and shallow coves. 

The herring runs have peaked a few weeks ago and spawning has occurred.

Watch for some buckies returning back to the salt.

Not much tiny bait around, but there are schools of scattered pogy's around the upper bay in several locations.

Nothing yet toward Providence?  

Big Blues are in. 11-12 lb range at the outflows. Blind casting on calm water, at the end of outgoing was a blast.

Did some tog fishing on Friday morning after the fog broke.   It was slow.  Didn't fish long but moved around to 4-5 places within a 2 hour stretch.  I was doing some scouting for a Saturday trip with friends.   Only one place produced, about 20' of water.   When I got there I dropped the line and then pulled in up about a minute later.  I forget why, but a tog chased it all the way up until it saw the boat.   Never had that happened.   Dropped it down again and a nice tog.   Then it went silent.   That was my highlight.   Never ended up going on Saturday as fog was brutal and by the time it had cleared we had other stuff we had to do.   

Fished the outgoing this morning. One short, one keeper, a few medium sized blues once the sun started coming up. Saturday morning was more of the same. 

Hit a pretty reliable spot at a reliable tide phase and it was a dead zone.. Not much bait noted and no fish around.  Tide had flushed a lot of the weeds out but still lots of pockets and big matts of that red annoying weeds all over.  Not sure what the deal is with all the weeds this year, but have never seen it like this constantly.

Tomorrow is my 1st trip to a secluded location off the mainland that I will keep secret.

Anytime I burn more fuel moving around the bay for one fish here and there, it's time you use the extra fuel to go off shore.

Went togging last Saturday. Pulled up a few shorts but was pretty slow overall. Will be my last outing for tog this spring. Threw some squid hoping for porgy but no action. Saw a guy pull in a slot striper in the afternoon.

Went for a few quick casts after work today. Water was crystal clear, medium sized Blues, 24-28 inches, for a couple hours of non-stop action, they were still biting when I left. 

For the first time in my life I fished a spot loaded with dropping herring, and couldn’t get a sniff. Saw no boils or anything. 

Not much to report. fished sakonnet river area on tuesday sundown timeframe. didn't get anything. didn't see any sign of bait. tried another spot closer to fall river. didn't get anything there either. fishing for stripers or blues. 

Just a quick recap of the last two days of 5-6 hours of fishing trips.

Wednesday, Block Island, great tide, 50 degree air temp, water @54 degrees, wind down.

Not one fish. The most sand eels we seen never materialized on the surface, stayed down 20 feet from the surface.

Plenty of sand eels in the shallows surrounding New Harbor, but nothing on them, not even a tern. What wrong here?

We did see sporadic space out boils a few time close to the three mile limit. Could never get close.

Thursday, Upper Bay, same cold weather, flat calm water temps mid 60's in the shallows, high time near 6:00am.

Found 4 bass in one location, one more up toward Providence to show for a five and one half hour trip. Wind really picked up around 9:00.

This cold snap and winds have shut off the fishing. Millions of jelly fish in Greenwich Cove so thick it looked like bubble wrap.

Posted (edited)

After what seemed like a week long lull in the fishing (in between migration groups? Bypassing RI? Who knows), I got into some big angry blues willing to hit any offering you put in front of them. Swimmers, spooks, and poppers all caught. Man they are vicious. Watching them fight over the spook was half the fun! Not sure how anyone couldn’t enjoy those guys, they’re a riot. Somehow one 50 lb fluoro leader lasted me the whole session, got lucky I guess :D. Couple of schoolies mixed in for a change of pace as it got dark..

Edited by Peelin' Drag

Fished hard the mid and upper bay from 6 AM to 11 AM. Fog rolled in mid bay and it was a wrap for me.

3 schoolies caught and an aggressive searobin snagged, they were all returned to the water safely. But I saw at least 5 stripers fish taken by other boats that appeared to be of proper size.

But once the small pod of pogeys dispersed the stripers did as well. We couldn't find the bait again after snagging only a handful.

Went out on a buddies boat last night around 1900. Poked around some rocky spots mid bay with the doc and it’s little brother. Had about three blow ups over the course of an hour but none of them committed. Saw some fish working the surface but couldn’t get them to bite. 

After dark moved over to Newport and filled half a bucket with squid. They came in waves and definitely weren’t thick or all that consistent but were still there. Had a few schoolies moving around the edges of the light and on the way out worked a few more blow ups on top water along the light line. 

Tonight Went to my friends house who lives right by a little outflow mid bay. Usually little schoolies hang out and we catch them on single hook little spooks and small plastics. Tonight there were bigger fish in the 20-25 inch range which was a blast on light tackle. They were super aggressive slamming the top water. 

Did a little sweetwater with Special Fred today and we slayed the big rainbows, 15 inch average for an hour.  Both hit our limit or better and then headed home happy.  All fish released clean and happy.