hobbyisterisis

Accurate Tern 2 400 (TXD-400X) Failure: Handle knob coming off

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I just came back from Yankee Capts Pulley Ridge LITE trip, which consists of fishing in 300-400 feet of water using 10 oz to 20 oz sinkers.

I made it through the first day and a half with Shimano Talica 16 II and caught a lot of fish. At one point, I got stuck on the bottom and lost the bottom rig. I was tired by then and switched to my backup combo so that I didn't have to rig up again. I also wanted to test out my new star drag reel. I pulled up a fish or two and at one point, I hooked a fish, but the knob became wobbly and came off. I ended up pulling the fish up (Yelloweye snapper) without the handle and it was a PIA.

I spoke to some folks after the trip and I wasn't alone. There was someone who had a Tern on the last trip with Yankee Capt, the handle came off and he said he just threw the reel in the trashcan. A couple of others chimed in who said Tern is no good. I took a glance at the screw when it came out and didn't see any signs of Loctite on it. Wondering if it's quality control issue or it's by design.

At this point, I think I have 3 options:

1. Send the reel in for warranty service (The clicker is also very stiff and hard to disengage, especially compared to other reels)
  2. Unscrew the knob, apply Loctite and just continue using the reel to see what other problems pop up
  3. Remove the knob and find an alternate knob altogether

Does anyone else have Tern 2? Any issues with the reel? I had high hopes for Gen 2!

Video: 

Posted (edited)

57 mins ago, Joe Paranee said:

Locktite it and go fish 

Yea, now that I’m home I’ll take a look at the screw and the handle more closely. Looked like the handle side was stripped/worn down, probably from turning the handle while it was loose. I never had this happen to any of my other conventional reels…

Edited by hobbyisterisis

They make the SPJ handle for that reel I just put the one made for the Valiant on a 500 for a chunking setup 

5567FDE4-82D8-4724-A4C5-152B510CD1A2.jpe
806FBA77-2486-4639-A55C-D9852691BD9C.jpe

If you want to use the stock handle configuration call Accurate they have great customer service 

When Accurate first started doing business I bought one of their aluminum handles.  Turns out it had a right-handed screw holding it on and it came loose just as yours did.  I brought the handle with me to a fishing show and they said they new about the problem and replaced it.

I can see a right-handed thread on the video.  It should be a left-handed thread to keep it from coming loose.  Loctite will work, but may eventually work free.

Bicycle pedals also have left handed threads on the right side.

1 hour ago, Mike Mendez said:

When Accurate first started doing business I bought one of their aluminum handles.  Turns out it had a right-handed screw holding it on and it came loose just as yours did.  I brought the handle with me to a fishing show and they said they new about the problem and replaced it.

I can see a right-handed thread on the video.  It should be a left-handed thread to keep it from coming loose.  Loctite will work, but may eventually work free.

Ahh gotcha. But this is a brand spanking new Gen 2 reel… You’d think they fixed known issues for Gen 2. Smh.

As suspected, handle side doesn't look too good. Knob side doesn't look as bad, but it has some damage as well. I'm going to see if Accurate can send me another handle and knob assembly or I'll just have to send it in for service. I still can't believe this happened after a few fish. I got the reel on 5/13/2022 and fished it for the first time on 5/18 before it broke. It's probably a good idea to bring tried and true tackle on a multi-day boat trip! A picture is worth a thousand words.

IMG_8552.jpeg.6af374d5f463fc6c2e5191d918e54ca2.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg.6673ceace827a60a779990ae36750369.jpeg

I would give them hell until they either make it right, or refund your money. You'd expect this from Chinese job lot junk, not a reel at that price point. If they don't want to make it right, and you ultimately unload for another Talica or something similar, I'd make them aware of that too.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

I would give them hell until they either make it right, or refund your money. You'd expect this from Chinese job lot junk, not a reel at that price point. If they don't want to make it right, and you ultimately unload for another Talica or something similar, I'd make them aware of that too.

its an accurate designed priced to be cheap spec junk job. lol

Edited by EricL

11 hours ago, hobbyisterisis said:

As suspected, handle side doesn't look too good. Knob side doesn't look as bad, but it has some damage as well. I'm going to see if Accurate can send me another handle and knob assembly or I'll just have to send it in for service. I still can't believe this happened after a few fish. I got the reel on 5/13/2022 and fished it for the first time on 5/18 before it broke. It's probably a good idea to bring tried and true tackle on a multi-day boat trip! A picture is worth a thousand words.

looks like its designed with a normal thread screw. not a reverse thread.

knobs should have reverse threads for RH, and normal for LH.

against the crank direction.

Dogfish down in Florida has a more easily accessible clicker for the Tern 2

Not sure if they sell them separatley or if you buy the reel from them.

Any time I go on an overnight run.  I do a quick once over on screws and clamps....lots of things rattle loose on long runs.

After a zeebass rotor shed 2 of the 3 screws...and there were only a few threads left holding it on....while tight with a 120lb bluefin....I never run offshore without a quick check.

Take 10 minutes to do an entire spread along with all the jig and pop setups.

Should thread locker have been used....yeah....suprised it wasn't....

At the same time...who doesn't bring a tool kit on an overnight run....

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Dogfish down in Florida has a more easily accessible clicker for the Tern 2

Not sure if they sell them separatley or if you buy the reel from them.

Any time I go on an overnight run.  I do a quick once over on screws and clamps....lots of things rattle loose on long runs.

After a zeebass rotor shed 2 of the 3 screws...and there were only a few threads left holding it on....while tight with a 120lb bluefin....I never run offshore without a quick check.

Take 10 minutes to do an entire spread along with all the jig and pop setups.

Should thread locker have been used....yeah....suprised it wasn't....

At the same time...who doesn't bring a tool kit on an overnight run....

Hahah, me and a handful of others who haven’t been on an overnight trip before. I did bring spare reels though, lol.

Quick follow-up question: Do you have a recommendation on multi-functional tool for servicing reels out in the field? Thanks!

Posted (edited)

14 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Hahah, me and a handful of others who haven’t been on an overnight trip before. I did bring spare reels though, lol.

Quick follow-up question: Do you have a recommendation on multi-functional tool for servicing reels out in the field? Thanks!

I bring a kit box.....

6" Knipex pliers wrench will handle all bolts of all sizes found on any reel...I use parallel jaw pliers to pull hooks so if i have to go after something from both sides...I have two "wrenches"

I work with a few reel service centers.....many fell in love with that thing and now it's their go to.

Proper sized drivers to to tighten or loosen fasteners.  hex or torx keys wiped with corrosion x hd does a good job and they don't take up much room. 

A penn wrench juse because

something to tighten reel clamps.

And a large bladed screwdriver....that's like an inch long...and has a full size handle....in case I have to whack on something anodized...

Edited by scoobydoo

16 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

Send it back and let them fix it.

For the record, the Left crank arm bolt, Bottom bracket lock ring and pedal have the CCW threads.

Thanks all for the input.

Accurate sent me a prepaid label, so I’ll be dropping it off at FedEx today. After looking at the knob/handle, I may look to see if SPJ handle is a good alternative option. I don’t have high confidence on how it will hold up after it’s returned from service.

I’ll also be getting a low profile toolkit, probably following scoobydoo’s recommendation. Lol, I packed a lot of things that were useless, but forgot a simple tool kit!

For anyone who cares, S/N is #303 in case Accurate recognizes the problem and beefs up the knob in the near future so that this sort of thing doesn’t happen frequently!