TopStriperAngler

Looking For Something Less Fast Than 10'6" Tiralejo

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking for a 11 foot surf rod in the $200-$300 range. I'd like a medium fast action and cast 3/4-4 oz. I usually fish needlefish, gliders, and spooks in the 4"-7" range but want ability to cast doc spook sized stuff when neccessary. Any recommendations? 

Fished the TRS106MA Tiralejo last year and this spring. It's a fine rod and I seemed to be able to get great distance out of it. But for my personal preference I think that:

1) too fast/stiff to absorb shock from fish leading to dropped fish

2) problems with casting longer lures like the doc spook (wobble in flight)

3) not forgiving with bad casting

4) a lot of shock of casting transmitted to joints

5)

6) except for small aerodynamic lures I don't find this a pleasant rod to cast. 

I do not have dedicated saltwater tackle shop in my area so will be very difficult to demo rods. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

A used ODM Genesis 10 or 11 3/4-4oz is what you want (new is closer to $400). I have the 11 and it’s great with non-aerodynamic lures and is moderate action. I’ve gone up to 3.5 oz on it with a Gibbs pencil popper and it has thrown it with ease! 

I'm confused.....Is there a 10'6 tiralejo that I'm not aware of?

Since when is that rod considered too fast...

They make an 11 footer which is the definition of a broom stick....they also make a softer 11 footer which came out later in the life cycle which is very nice.

Are you sure you're not talking about the 10 or 11 footer?  Those rods are very differernt from the 10'6 and 9'6.  

Always get a chuckle seeing rod recommendations and it appears those making them have never used the rod being discussed....

Edited by scoobydoo

It's the TRS106MA. I'm not great with rod terms. I mean this rod will throw all the small stuff even below 1oz up to 4 oz. and that's great. But like I say it just seems like there's not enough flex in the tip area to absorb shock from fish for my liking. And it's transmits a lot of shock into my arms when I stop the cast. And you sort of have to cast it fast and with a short stroke or it will go haywire on u. Just mean sloppy casting like i do you get weird things happenign with lure. I think from not casting in straight line?

To cast these larger lures you have to stop the rod almost at vertical with top hand real close to your head not extending. If you go forward too far lure wobbles. Again I blame sloppy casting but fishing is supposed to be fun.   

IF you can help me express my concerns more precise I would appreciate in case I call a shop. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

37 mins ago, TopStriperAngler said:

It's the TRS106MA. I'm not great with rod terms. I mean this rod will throw all the small stuff even below 1oz up to 4 oz. and that's great. But like I say it just seems like there's not enough flex in the tip area to absorb shock from fish for my liking. And it's transmits a lot of shock into my arms when I stop the cast. And you sort of have to cast it fast and with a short stroke or it will go haywire on u. Just mean sloppy casting like i do you get weird things happenign with lure. I think from not casting in straight line?

To cast these larger lures you have to stop the rod almost at vertical with top hand real close to your head not extending. If you go forward too far lure wobbles. Again I blame sloppy casting but fishing is supposed to be fun.   

IF you can help me express my concerns more precise I would appreciate in case I call a shop. 

Gotcha,

That's the rod unloading and recovering.

Rods like the 11 St croix rated to 8 ounces....Salt x 11 footer....9'2 and 9'6 black hole cape cod nano rods

have easy to load tips that recover a bit less abrutply.

I wrapped both those black holes mentioned conventional...and love em.  The shorter length means it's easy to get around.  They rip yozuri twitch baits...and handle Doc's fine (9'6"

The salt x is like how I had hoped the 2-6 10'6 st croix legend and mojo would have been like.  

Gsb lami's offer a similar action...but no way i'm spending the kind of $$ they're asking for that rod now..especially since there are a million other options out there.

Try posting a wtb 10' old tiralejo....see if you can score one cheap....I ain't giving mine up....

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Gotcha,

Rods like the 11 St croix rated to 8 ounces....Salt x 11 footer....9'2 and 9'6 black hole cape cod nano rods

I wrapped both those black holes mentioned conventional...and love em.  The shorter length means it's easy to get around.  They rip yozuri twitch baits...and handle Doc's fine (9'6"

The salt x is like how I had hoped the 2-6 10'6 st croix legend and mojo would have been like.  

Gsb lami's offer a similar action...but no way i'm spending the kind of $$ they're asking for that rod now..especially since there are a million other options out there.

Try posting a wtb 10' old tiralejo....see if you can score one cheap....I ain't giving mine up....

Whats the model number on the old 10’ tiralejo? Recommend?

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Gotcha,

Thanks for the unloading and recovering thing. That makes sense. Yeah i feel not as much fun to cast altho like I say it does basically handle everything and seems to get good distance. Not so great on larger plugs because of that wobble coming from by the tip recovering. 

I can fit 11 foot in car fine without breaking down. 

I'll check out those other rods you are mentioning.