MuskieJim

South NJ - First Time Stripers in June

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone.  Avid surf angler - been going go OBX for years slinging for drum, cobia, spanish, and sharks off the sand.   I'm going to Wildwood NJ the second week of June to visit family.  I've never been this far north but certainly plan on bringing my surf gear.   I've already swapped my two surf spinning rods to braid and ordered a few of the staples I've read about (SP Minnow, Hydro Minnow, Pencil Popper).   Before I go crazy buying lures I have two questions:

1. What are the chances fish will still be around to throw at out front?   I prefer fishing open beach to back bays.  I know there will likely be smaller fish in the bays.

2.  If you could suggest 3-5 lures that you'd recommend to a northern noob - much appreciated.   Was thinking of getting a few rubber sand eels, swim shads, etc.   

I'm hoping my Dad and I can go out to the beach and at a minimum maybe smack a few big bluefish.  Would be very cool.  

Thanks in advance!

Forget the surf.  Bring a variety of small soft plastics and small poppers and go get yourself muddy in the backwaters.  You might get a bass in the surf soaking clams in mid june but if you prefer artificials mid june is when the marsh bite kicks in.  Fish first hour of daylight and last hour of daylight.  Fish around the bridges and docks at night.  Just my humble opinion as a resident of the Wildwood area

1 hour ago, mako capt said:

Forget the surf.  Bring a variety of small soft plastics and small poppers and go get yourself muddy in the backwaters.  You might get a bass in the surf soaking clams in mid june but if you prefer artificials mid june is when the marsh bite kicks in.  Fish first hour of daylight and last hour of daylight.  Fish around the bridges and docks at night.  Just my humble opinion as a resident of the Wildwood area

So you wouldn’t recommend fishing the beach at all?   Not even the chance of a bluefish?  I’ll take your advice all day ha.  We prefer fishing artificials but I’ll soak a clam.  I can’t fish at all during the day due to lifeguards and such, busy with the kids.  But early AM I could certainly sneak out to the beach or find a backwater 

30 mins ago, MuskieJim said:

So you wouldn’t recommend fishing the beach at all?   Not even the chance of a bluefish?  I’ll take your advice all day ha.  We prefer fishing artificials but I’ll soak a clam.  I can’t fish at all during the day due to lifeguards and such, busy with the kids.  But early AM I could certainly sneak out to the beach or find a backwater 

If you want to fish artificials I'd hit the backwaters or underneath the bridges and docks at night.  If you were here right now or in September-December I'd be pointing you to the beach for stripers.  June July and August your best bet is in the back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

44 mins ago, mako capt said:

If you want to fish artificials I'd hit the backwaters or underneath the bridges and docks at night.  If you were here right now or in September-December I'd be pointing you to the beach for stripers.  June July and August your best bet is in the back.

Thanks for the advice.  I will bring a few of the inshore rods and see what we come up with.  Are there typically big bluefish around in the surf that time of year?   How about sharks?   Maybe a big flounder?   

Edited by MuskieJim

16 hours ago, mako capt said:

This

Lots of places to try at night if you are quiet 

Maybe you will find weakfish as well.  Think pink

Another vote for the sod banks/ bridges. South Jersey southern beaches are parking lot flat and feature less. Grab some lead heads from 1/4  - 1/2 oz and a couple packs of bodies. Smaller sized plugs and poppers are good as well. First light, last light and of course night time are best. Shadow lines are awesome.

If you’re really looking for big blue fish and sharks then you will have to chunk!

There are still very BIG bass coming down the beach in June!

You could also try chunking for them as well!

Now this year seems like things are happening early, so we’ll have to see what happens!

I will still be catching plenty of stripers in June and July and August!

It just turns into a night game when the water gets warm!

And yes the Backwaters are very productive down that way! 
But, you can also catch some very Nice fish in the surf at night on lures as well!

Just my thoughts!

EA

Been frustrated for years trying to get on stripers out of the south Jersey surf. They’re often though not always still around in mid June but clams or bunker heads is the way to go. 

Sharks start to show up by then too. More likely to be inundated with skates and dogfish. 

Blues have been hard to come by for several years. 

We used to have a “home base” in N Wildwood but the in laws sold last Fall. I’ve been exploring Jersey further up from there for years anyway. We will be back that direction a bit this June for family vacation which may include a small window for fishing - I hope.

But it’s always a chillin mode of fishing for me in the surf there. Bait & wait. Drinkin beers. No point otherwise. Go to the bay for tossing artificial. Fluke / summer flounder of keeper sized quality are occasionally around in the back until July. 

if you wanna try artificials in the surf, remember that the surf is very shallow & little contour.

So, aim for light jigs & bucktails with rubber. Half ounce, 5/8, 3/4 at most unless it’s a nor’easter.) For plugs, go with stuff that runs shallow. Danny style metal lips. Hydro minnow instead of SP. 

Most of the bigger migratory bass will be gone by then. Still worth a shot tossing plugs around bridges, jetties, and marsh for bass at night/early AM. I would recommend like others have said bring a 7' inshore rod and jig for weakies and fluke. You will see a lot of guys floating blood worms off the jetties for them. A good run of weakies hasn't hit SJ yet so you should be there prime time. I recommend 3/8 or 1/2oz jig head and either a 3-4" pink bass assassin paddle tail or pink zoom fluke. SJ is a hot spot for dogfish, sharks, and rays so if you chuck off the beach expect a lot of them.

Edited by cec127

Thanks for the responses fellas.  Just got back from the banks a few weeks ago and couldn’t keep the sharks at bay.  

sounds like I should pack all the gear just in case.   If I am going to throw plugs on the beach at night or chunk, what are some decent spots to try?   We will also try the bridges and such like you guys mentioned 

BE94674B-EB3B-4FFA-8691-E95151BD6F8C.jpeg

I'll shoot you a PM with a few spots you can try. Pretty frown upon here to post spots on a open thread. Can also check with Jim's bait and tackle and Sterling harbor when you get there; both are good shops and will point you in right direction.

4 mins ago, cec127 said:

I'll shoot you a PM with a few spots you can try. Pretty frown upon here to post spots on a open thread. Can also check with Jim's bait and tackle and Sterling harbor when you get there; both are good shops and will point you in right direction.

I should have known better ha.  What a goog.  Much appreciated sir! 

Edited by MuskieJim

9 hours ago, MuskieJim said:

Thanks for the responses fellas.  Just got back from the banks a few weeks ago and couldn’t keep the sharks at bay.  

sounds like I should pack all the gear just in case.   If I am going to throw plugs on the beach at night or chunk, what are some decent spots to try?   We will also try the bridges and such like you guys mentioned 

BE94674B-EB3B-4FFA-8691-E95151BD6F8C.jpeg

You have the gear, can’t hurt. I suspect there’s some early arriving sharks that big. I got busted off after an hour long fight from the beach - definitely not your average shark or dogfish given the size of the bunker head I threw & the fight that ensued. That was one two south though. But same idea just slightly shallower water in the wwoods. 

Non fishing related bonus tip: if you have little kids, the boardwalk is fine for rides & such during the day if it’s not too hot. Midweek at night in June is fine too. Don’t put yourself through the torture of being up there on a Fri or Sat night though. By midsummer it’s like Venice Beach (CA) up there.