IamFish

Winter Flounder 2022

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

The bite has been hit or miss on certain days. Got into them pretty good last Saturday and then the next day slow. Lots of boat out last weekend. Yesterday we saw only a few boats on the Deer Island flats. I'm assuming everyone is now focused on black seabass fishing down south.

When you guys are fishing for flounder, what are you looking for?   I used to fish some salt ponds for flounder when I was a kid but like all NE flounder things sucked for a long time.   Been meaning to take a day or two this spring to give it a try at my local salt pond but not sure where to fish.   Any suggestions of what type of areas to target.   Does tide matter?   I assume I want a moving tide, but does it make much of a difference if going in or out? 

3 hours ago, notime said:

When you guys are fishing for flounder, what are you looking for?   I used to fish some salt ponds for flounder when I was a kid but like all NE flounder things sucked for a long time.   Been meaning to take a day or two this spring to give it a try at my local salt pond but not sure where to fish.   Any suggestions of what type of areas to target.   Does tide matter?   I assume I want a moving tide, but does it make much of a difference if going in or out? 

They bite either tide. Boston Harbor flounder populations are the lowest they have been in the past 25 years. There was a resurgence from 1998 to 2012 but then the menza candidate fishery managers decided to up the commercial quotas in 2013 and the flounder once again took a beating. There is less than 5% of what there was in 2008-2012 now and the fish average 1/2 the size. Having said all that, "right now" seems to be the peak of the run with limit catches the past 3 consecutive trips (Friday, Saturday and Sunday.). 

Today we are supposed to have a cold front and that is good for shutting the fish down (what I call an "off bite" at best) but the lull will last a tide or two at the most. You will see boats flounder fishing at the most popular spots like Deer Island Flats, Portuguese Cove and Rainsford. Just that there are only a fraction of the boats making the effort as there were up to 5 years ago.

Like someone mentioned before, the population off the shores of The Cape (Barnstable to Truro) have not been hit by the draggers (YET)...

5 hours ago, jason colby said:

Like someone mentioned before, the population off the shores of The Cape (Barnstable to Truro) have not been hit by the draggers (YET)...

exactly.  saw a couple draggers cruising around over the winter and got really nervous.

i’ve never fished flounder inside (salt pond) - always in the bay.  i’d say tide makes almost no difference. just have to poke around a couple spots sometimes different depths and find a good patch.  too much drift isn’t great either.  honestly, i think the best days we ever had were flat calm.

I am going out tomorrow for first time for flounder on the northshore, Beverly, Marblehead area.  I have never caught flounder up here and would really welcome some suggestions.  I am happy to share my knowledge of Stripers and where to go to find macks when finding macks are hard.

Thank you, very much.

10 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

had a good day in the bay a couple weeks ago

Screenshot_20220516-075623_Gallery.jpg

That’s certainly not ‘good’ from a historical perspective. 

sadly, shifting baselines. 

Boston Harbor spots offer "limits" but the fish are substantially smaller on average than they were a few years ago. The body of fish that goes into the harbor is getting severely over fished by draggers each spring (and again when they move out in July) and they are not allowed to grow. This current good fishing will not last as there are "less than 5% of the mass of fish we had 10 years ago when "the state fishery management menza's" doubled the commercial daily quotas...

The body of flounder that populates southern Cape Cod Bay has not been worked over by the draggers (yet).

13 mins ago, jason colby said:

Boston Harbor spots offer "limits" but the fish are substantially smaller on average than they were a few years ago. The body of fish that goes into the harbor is getting severely over fished by draggers each spring (and again when they move out in July) and they are not allowed to grow. This current good fishing will not last as there are "less than 5% of the mass of fish we had 10 years ago when "the state fishery management menza's" doubled the commercial daily quotas...

The body of flounder that populates southern Cape Cod Bay has not been worked over by the draggers (yet).

Well once the harbor dries up I'm sure they will lobby to drag south cape bay