Gilbey

Retrofit Fan Box Supports

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I need to add fan boxes in a couple bedrooms for overhead light and ceiling fans. There's no overhead wiring now, so I will have to snake a wire from the switch at the door. Yes, PIA, but I can manage that. My question is has anyone used the retrofit fan box brace/supports? Are they sturdy enough to support a ceiling fan? Any tips or tricks? Any paticular brand you suggest? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

yes. i sell them all the time.

the box will say rated for fan use.   if not,look elsewhere

Arlington or westinghouse.    no trick.  put it through the hole ,unwind the bar till its secured to the joists

fan.jpg

fan1.jpg

Edited by coolhandfluke

25 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

yes. i sell them all the time.

the ox will say rated for fan use.   if not,look elsewhere

Arlington or westinghouse.    no trick.  put it through the hole ,unwid the bar till its secured to the joists

What he said :th: 

I do a lot of this retrofitting and I personally prefer to use the ones that mount on one joist if I can, rather than the ones that span 2. There's a plastic box that literally straddles the joist, and a metal one that bolts to the side. Remember to run 14/3 so you can control the fan from the switch rather than the pull chains. If you make a big hole in the ceiling just get a plastic or foam medallion and cover it up!

Thanks all. I plan to cut a hole just to fit the fan box and slip the support thru to attach between joists. Did I mention that I hate spackling? And I am also not very good at it. Less wall/ceiling to repair the better for me! 

11 mins ago, Gilbey said:

Thanks all. I plan to cut a hole just to fit the fan box and slip the support thru to attach between joists. Did I mention that I hate spackling? And I am also not very good at it. Less wall/ceiling to repair the better for me! 

Unless for measurement reasons you need to span the joists or your joist is so old it's wider than 1.5, this straddling type is stupidly easy, slipping the spanning ones in is not.

6287d96a8e715_fanbox.PNG.d8d2251d267d46824f8a039fe1cefb55.PNG

That's another option! This house is only about 25 years old, so standard, modern framing. I just want to be sure I get a nice, solid fan box mounted that will safely support the fixture and fan without any wobble. Thanks Gel. :th: 

48 mins ago, Gilbey said:

That's another option! This house is only about 25 years old, so standard, modern framing. I just want to be sure I get a nice, solid fan box mounted that will safely support the fixture and fan without any wobble. Thanks Gel. :th: 

:laugh: 

The chances of you finding a ceiling/floor joist dead center of a span,....

More numbers than I can think of.

Those boxes are great and my electrician likes that I frame that way. 

But for a retro-fit like yours, use the ones first talked about.

No offense intended at all Alan, but,...

WTF builds a house w/out ceiling lights? 

I thought that went away after the 80's. 

Ha. Yup it’s driving my wife and me crazy. How do you build a house without overhead lights???? 

To clarify. My wife and I are selling my current house and moving into my parents house which is vacant and right down the hill. That’s the house with no overhead lighting. 

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

Baffles me too. Have you noticed hotel/motel rooms NEVER have ceiling lights? As for dead center, meh. I've found lots of ceiling lights that were not dead center and no one noticed for 100 years till I measured! I think it was that they liked to clamp the gaslight pipes to the joist, and the electric was attached to the stub of the gas pipe. I've found these with the gas still live! Guess how....

2 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Ha! There are 200 or 300 homes here built before the Revolution! So a lot more still built before electricity or plumbing. I have to do a lot of work arounds in some of these remodels.... 

I love it when folks complain about homes with no garages too. Cars weren't around yet. And the stable, if they had one, was likely torn down or sold off in a property split.

And I prefer the spanning of two joists to support something that could possibly wobble. But I overbuild in some folks' eyes.

That first fan box posted is what want . 

and switched outlets were all the rage here in Long Island . I do a lot of hi hats and ceiling fans to replace that . Good money in that but attic crawl spaces suck balls and sometime hard to avoids . I do almost all the wiring with the sticks minus the one time I gotta climb there for the switch leg 

16 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Ha! There are 200 or 300 homes here built before the Revolution! So a lot more still built before electricity or plumbing. I have to do a lot of work arounds in some of these remodels.... 

I love it when folks complain about homes with no garages too. Cars weren't around yet. And the stable, if they had one, was likely torn down or sold off in a property split.

And I prefer the spanning of two joists to support something that could possibly wobble. But I overbuild in some folks' eyes.

I meant, in this case, the O.P.'s home built just 25 years ago.

I know all about 100, 200 years and older homes. I love working on them. 

But when I frame, I always put a cat dead center of each room, so my sparky can use them saddle boxes. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

ceiling lights ?       the most popular ceiling light now are the selectable led waffers.  no need for those big cans.  no need to worry about joists.cut the hole and put it in.

ceiling fans and light kits are also not being used as much.   at one time i had one in every room.  today i have two.

we dont sell nearly as many as we did in the past

Edited by coolhandfluke