ZATsol

South Padre Island TX in November.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

We have a family trip scheduled to South Padre Island TX, starting November 6th for a week.

Looking for any information about fly fishing. I’m thinking to take one guided trip and rest will be DIY.

What to expect this time of year? Where to go and what type of flies to use? I’m not looking for anything in particular. If I catch something, I will be happy. I’m planning to bring my inflatable SUP. I hope it will help. Any advice about guides welcome as well. PM me if you prefer.

Thank you in advance!

Umm. If it's generalized information, the knowledgeable person should be able to post it here.

I'm pretty sure we have a Texas poster or two, despite the lack of a Texas forum.

I fished the lower Laguna Madre 5-10 years ago with Kingfisher guide service.  lagunamadre.net  They run out of the mainland side of the laguna using flats boats that are specialized for the very shallow water in much of this area.  They were professional, very experienced in the area, and worked hard to put us on fish.  We caught redfish, sea trout and a few ladyfish.  One factor that is out of their control is the weather.  If they get a strong cold front, the winds will churn up the silt in the laguna and make it unfishable due to low visibility.  The best fishing is generally in the summer months due to the stable, but very hot, weather.

Ted

You can drive the beach looking for fish/bait/ good spots.

Search - reading the water - here on sol.

It works.

Fish a day with Eric Glass he is the best guide down there and leaves out of South Padre.  Other guides leave out of the west side of the LLM.

If the conditions are calm you can fish off the big jetty for reds, snook, trout maybe tarpon.

If its calm and there are no waves and out front is clean fish the beach for all sorts of critters.

DIY flats fishing is tough on foot.  Best bet is the big flat behind the convention center.  If you can rent a SUP its better.  You will see with guide how there are large areas you need go through until you find fish.  The LLm is one enormous flat.

7wt or 8wt.  size 1-4 shrimpy crabby redfish flies for the flats.  General streamers for the surf.

Practice practice practice 30'-60' casts quickly and accurately with a lightly weighted fly. 

good luck

Thank you everybody for good information!

I will be offline most of this week due to work assignment.

But I will check whenever I can.

Thanks again!

DIY is easy.

- Launch sup off holly beach and fish the shoreline north.  use sup for transport and wade.  Good sightfishing.

- go on the island and drive north. Park and walk to bay.  Great sightfishing.  Hard sand and or grass makes easy wading.wade north. 2 wd is fine.  Use google earth to scout a spot.

- go on island an hit beach.  Close for 2 wd or can go a long way with a 4x4.  surf fishing is hit or miss.

- go to north jetty.  Small entry fee.  Most variety here.  Walk rocks. Bring a stripper basket.

Ive fished all and have had good luck.

November is a great month to fish SPI.

scott