Passing of Dave Browne

Rate this topic

Sorry to hear of the loss. He was a really nice man. 

Funny story of how I met him.

I was just learning how to fly fish and after my third Albie by luck and sticking him in the vest with a fly, he turns to me and says isn't it time for you to go home.

We both laughed and from that day on I enjoyed conversating with him any time I had seen him.

Shared many a tide with him. He could bust balls with the best of them. Id like to believe theres a beach in heaven and him and Jimmy tshirt are fishing for eternity. 

RIP and keep stripping Dave. 

Screenshot_20220520-201835_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-201826_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-201816_Photos.jpg

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

Dave was a dear flyfishing friend of ours. We will always miss him.

David Browne, 85

May 20, 2022, 2:07 pm

David Browne of Laurel died on May 18, 2022. He was 85 years old.

The family will receive visitors on Wednesday, May 25 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the DeFriest-Grattan Funeral Home in Mattituck. The Liturgy of Christian Burial will be held following the visitation at 1 p.m. at Our Lady of Good Counsel R.C. Church in Mattituck. Interment will follow at Sacred Heart R.C. Cemetery in Cutchogue.

So impressed with all the visitors at Dave Browne's wake this morning. Friends, neighbors, fishermen we knew and didn't even know but all agreed that Dave Browne was a great among us all, friendly, knowledgeable and always happy to offer advice + flies that he'd tied. All of us who have fished with Dave on both the North Fork of Long Island + Montauk/Shinny know, he will always be remembered. We even made close fishing friends of Dave's, because of him:)

On his memorial prayer card we selected at the funeral home showing his mega redfish caught in Florida, there was a notation on the bottom along with the "Fishermen's Prayer" : Most fish caught in one day: 105 striped bass @ Shinnecock, Long Island (2006). 

We, personally, were there on the Shinny Jetty one fall when Dave caught, right next to me, his 100th albie, in just the one month they showed up at the S.Jetty! He later caught 118 albies from that Shinny Jetty he loved that fall season. 

While he loved catching albies, he really did love catching stripers the best, he told me. At his wake, I saw a beautiful photo of his largest shore flyfishing caught striper, caught around Pike's or other south shore surf beach in the fall he told me about but I never saw the photo. It looked to be almost 50", shore caught,  ON A FLY ROD!

RIP, old pal, Dave! We'll really miss you and your Irish spirit!

Always a pleasure to meet and fish with. Tough old bugger he would walk, fish,walk,fish, walk....repeat. Even when he was on chemo, walk, fish, walk.....Dave had a high end Irish import business up west. He told me that his best customers were Jewish? Because they knew quality. Go figure. All the best fishing to you sir.