Chief2

Jigging Sea Bass

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am an experienced guy, but never owned my own boat(big enough) to target black sea bass.  I've gone a handful of times on head boats, but that was always with a big chunk of lead and just more dumb luck.  Now I intend to target them jigging.  I have got some vertical jigs, and assist hooks.  I intend on throwing a strip of clam or squid on the jig, and then have a dropper loop about 2 ft up from that with another bait.  I have some numbers where i'm going to start, but anyone have any pointers?  Should I concentrate on rock piles?  Concrete?  Sunken Ships?  Will drifting produce, or should I really gear up the wreck anchor?  We looking at a 2 ft jig?  More?   Thanks so much!!

Have usually drifted for seabass, and find them mainly around structure. Don't know why you would add squid or clam to the jig, might interfere with its action. Maybe try jigging first and if no takers do another drift using bait. Key is to be on or near the bottom, so if your line starts to scope out, put a heavier jig/weight on. I find colors are not as important as getting the right weight jig. And on reeling up, have had them hit the lure off the bottom so I suspect they'll follow it up from the bottom a ways. Be ready.  And once you find what depth they're at stay at that depth, obviously. I've caught them from 20 feet to as deep as 125', but the sharpies on here may have better advice. Tight lines!

I use bucktail jigs with something yummy on the hook.  Gulp or some natural bait (squid etc).  Drop straight down and then jig.  I also drift.  Having said that I only target them in late May, early June.  They are not on structure at that time of year.  I've caught them later in the season as bycatch.  In those cases I find them on structure and they hit a lure I use for striper fishing.

on structure , bounce the bottom and maybe 5' up. Gonna lose a few jigs on sticky pieces but with time you'll feel your way along the snags fast drift = lots more snags. most hit on the flutter down  be alert.

7 hours ago, Chief2 said:

Hey guys, I am an experienced guy, but never owned my own boat(big enough) to target black sea bass.  I've gone a handful of times on head boats, but that was always with a big chunk of lead and just more dumb luck.  Now I intend to target them jigging.  I have got some vertical jigs, and assist hooks.  I intend on throwing a strip of clam or squid on the jig, and then have a dropper loop about 2 ft up from that with another bait.  I have some numbers where i'm going to start, but anyone have any pointers?  Should I concentrate on rock piles?  Concrete?  Sunken Ships?  Will drifting produce, or should I really gear up the wreck anchor?  We looking at a 2 ft jig?  More?   Thanks so much!!

where are you (in general).  advise will be much more helpful.

n jersey, s jersey, long island, rhode island, southern ma ???

also, what time of year - aka, may in buzzards bay is a completely different world than off nj.

Sorry, good point.  Leaving from Manasquan Inlet NJ.  We're currently talking about Sunday, but Primarily Spring season where you can keep more than 2 fish.  Our current season is May 17-June 19th.  

6 mins ago, Chief2 said:

Sorry, good point.  Leaving from Manasquan Inlet NJ.  We're currently talking about Sunday, but Primarily Spring season where you can keep more than 2 fish.  Our current season is May 17-June 19th.  

i’ve only fished bsb around manasquan a couple times the last few years.  we’d hit reefs, wrecks, or rock-piles in 80-90’ (?).  usually on the way in from tuna fishing (looking for some bar b q variety …:)).

i pretty much only jig for bsb.  my fav bsb jigs are direct tied 60g in lighter/flashier colours.  i’ll drop strait to the bottom, reel up any slack, and bounce medium speed up/slack down, 2-3’ “bounces”.  usually a gossa 5k or stradic 4k w/20# pp to a 4’ 30# fluoro or mono leader on a trevala or terramar 6.x’ med rod or similar.

never took very long.

Thank you for the input.  Was just looking to see if anyone had any specific current advice.  I've heard in general the larger sea bass hang near rocks, where the smaller ones hang out in boats/trains/other similar wrecks.  I am hoping for a dual purpose trip, going out in the am for Sea Bass(starting at 12 miles, on the shark river reef in 120 ft) then working my way inshore, hopefully filling the cooler, then go after some stripers when i get inside 3 miles.  Just trying to hope to minimize trial and error by targeting rocks, or reef balls, or wrecks, whatever people have been seeing lately.  Thank you very much.

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, for anyone keeping track of this figured I'd give a report.  Original goal was to go to the shark river reef about 15 miles out, in 100 ft.  However, the very rough 3 ft seas kept us well inside of that. (On a plus side, saw LOTS of Tuna chicks out about 7 miles east of MI, before we decided to turn around.  Heard reports of bluefin offshore)  Went to the north end of Sea Girt, saw some keepers mixed with mostly shorts, and one doggy.  Switched to the lower edge of Sea Girt, where we picked up 8 keepers, mostly in the 15-20 inch range.  Got my best ever, at like 5 lbs.  I purchased jigs for this trip, and I noticed the fat ones worked far more than the long thin ones.  Used Squid and Clam to dress the jigs and dropper hook, hook-up was almost 50/50 jigs to dropper hooks.  Catch was also 50/50 for clams and squid.  The heaviest I got was I think 4 oz, and we needed every bit of it even with braid and 60-70 ft, with a 1 knot drift.  I got some 2's and 3's, which are basically useless at that depth.  Maybe at 40 ft.  Got 11 fish, 2 men fishing, I'd call it a great day, and great first gig at hitting sea bass on my own boat.

Edited by Chief2

4 hours ago, Chief2 said:

I purchased jigs for this trip, and I noticed the fat ones worked far more than the long thin ones. 

Glad to hear you got on 'em!  The fatter (wider) jigs will fall slower & with more flutter, which was probably the difference.

I was out with two other googans and got one keeper seabass.

Can you share some info on the jigs please? Need help!! Thanks!

2 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

I was out with two other googans and got one keeper seabass.

Can you share some info on the jigs please? Need help!! Thanks!

my most successful were: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D5BP7RQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1 

I also had success with: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MYNHRQV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1 

The biggest similarity was the larger/wide profile.  Also, they're pretty aggressive.  If you find structure and marks, and no takers, make a move.  

I like the Spyro jigs.  I fish in RI and Mass, usually 30-40 feet.   Spyro jig with gulp or soft plastic.   If you cut off the hair it will drop down quicker and you'll need less weight.   Pink and white are the colors that work best for me.   I don't use teasers but should probably try it.  No bait.   Bait is a pain and leads to smaller fish and more time out of the water as the bait gets stolen and you need to replace.   Plus you can not know the bait is gone and your jigging with nothing.  Not that gulp doesn't get stolen but stays on a lot longer.   That is also why I use grub or other type plastic.  They stay on a long time.   

7 hours ago, Chief2 said:

my most successful were: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D5BP7RQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1 

I also had success with: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MYNHRQV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1 

The biggest similarity was the larger/wide profile.  Also, they're pretty aggressive.  If you find structure and marks, and no takers, make a move.  

Cheif what size are you using with these jigs

11 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Cheif what size are you using with these jigs

I was drifting 1 knot, 61-70 ft of water, using the 200 gram(7-1/4 oz) and it was the right weight.  I was shocked, as I got most in the 4-5 neighborhood, but the 7 was really what was needed.