Mr. Bigdeal

USCG....Boaters Beware...

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Boaters beware!! A recent authorization allowing the summer sale of gasoline containing 15% ethanol (E15) at roadside gas stations presents a problem for boaters. This type of fuel is federally prohibited for recreational vessel use, causes marine engine damage, and will void marine engine warranty. Additionally, E15 fuel has been shown to make engines run hotter, increasing the potential of a catastrophic boat fire. Signs or warning labels may not be obvious at the pump as it may simply be marked as “regular 88” or “regular unleaded”. The convenience of filling a tow vehicle and boat at the same time may cause boaters to overlook this potentially dangerous detail. Please ensure the fuel you are dispensing into your boat contains no more than 10% ethanol (E10).

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal
links

On 5/19/2022 at 8:19 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Boaters beware!! A recent authorization allowing the summer sale of gasoline containing 15% ethanol (E15) at roadside gas stations presents a problem for boaters. This type of fuel is federally prohibited for recreational vessel use, causes marine engine damage, and will void marine engine warranty. Additionally, E15 fuel has been shown to make engines run hotter, increasing the potential of a catastrophic boat fire. Signs or warning labels may not be obvious at the pump as it may simply be marked as “regular 88” or “regular unleaded”. The convenience of filling a tow vehicle and boat at the same time may cause boaters to overlook this potentially dangerous detail. Please ensure the fuel you are dispensing into your boat contains no more than 10% ethanol (E10).

Is this E15 crap actually happening. What are we supposed to do if that’s all that is available?

E10 caused $2k in damage to my HPDIs and I had to install 10 micron filters in the fuel line. Alcohol in gas sucks. 

It will be the only game in town for trailer towed outboard boats with portable tanks. 

We will need to keep that fuel cycling and not let it get old. It isn’t so much the tank, but what sits in your engine components. I would say if your not going out every week to run it every weekend with muffs to keep that stuff moving through the system.  Don’t fill up….buy just what you need for the trip. 

I always put Stabil in with my fuel and haven’t had too many problems. No boat issues just lawn mower and snowblower carb issues. Will Stabil be as effective with E15 as E10?

I guess I will have to use stabil with every fillup if E-15 is the only fuel available. I would suggest going to a marina to fill up. Sometimes inconvenient  ,but  but worth the effort. I hate ethanol ..

2 hours ago, John P said:

I guess I will have to use stabil with every fillup if E-15 is the only fuel available. I would suggest going to a marina to fill up. Sometimes inconvenient  ,but  but worth the effort. I hate ethanol ..

There is still a huge debate over whether these additives actually work. 

Edited by aae0130

The best way to have no issue is to use the fuel up quickly, unfortunately I can't go through 50 gals of gas in a few weeks. That's a good thing,but most people who have no issues are high use users,like guides.

In FL no issue with NON ETHANOL GAS READILY AVAILABLE.. Why isn't it available in all marinas ?

Fortunately the Stewart's Company in upstate NY still sells non ethanol, but I still use stabil in all my small engines from 25 Hp zero turn, weed wackers, log splitter, blowers and chainsaws and outboards and quads. Stewart's likes bikers

Fortunately, I don't think many gas stations will actually be getting the E15. And I would HOPE that it needs to be clearly identified

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

Fortunately the Stewart's Company in upstate NY still sells non ethanol, but I still use stabil in all my small engines from 25 Hp zero turn, weed wackers, log splitter, blowers and chainsaws and outboards and quads. Stewart's likes bikers

^ Stewart's was my go-to for my carbureted bike. Now that I'm in CT, I don't think there is a single gas station in the state that sells ethanol free :(

Filled up yesterday on the way to launch ramp. asked the guy about E15 and he looked at me like "What". Made sure it was E10 since he was giving me no answers.

4 hours ago, aae0130 said:

There is still a huge debate over whether these additives actually work. 

With who? It’s pretty clear they work if you’ve seen the difference between the inside of a carburetor with or without Stabil or similar. 

It works for gum and varnish for carbs……It doesn’t do anything with ethanol and the corrosion related to it. Newer systems with electronic fuel injection are the most at risk. 

There are a ton of videos where people rested the claims. 

Edited by aae0130

On 5/21/2022 at 5:55 PM, blastwater said:

E10 caused $2k in damage to my HPDIs and I had to install 10 micron filters in the fuel line. Alcohol in gas sucks. 

What damage was that?

My HPDIs, as all of them are it seems, very finicky for clean fuel.

I blame ethanol for a connecting rod coming out to say hello on one of my carbed yam 200s back when.  I think ethanol ultimately affected the top main seal, leaning out one or both of the top jugs where the failure occured.