RAW

Even hotter! Bigger

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hit the spot at 5 am first cast using a Mylar strip blue black paddle tail produced again. Fished till tide change about 1.5 hours and got 6 nicer fish. Such a great sight seeing bigger fish early. All in back waters. A fly rodder got 7 smaller using a deceiver and barely casting 30’ and never stripped. 2 cigars and lots of action. Could this be a good sign of this years fish? That would be awesome :rav:

690AEB53-AB1B-4D37-88EA-B5B56D80B10A.jpeg

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

That's a nice healthy looking fish right there !!!

Almost all caught last 3 days look like that and bigger, no dinks:rav:

I have had them like this in NJ for the last month and a half.  I have caught some really nice fish in skinny water on spooks and metal lip swimmers.

InkedIMG_0493_LI.JPG

InkedIMG_0494_LI.JPG

Reason these fish are mostly in the 24” and over range is because they’re the product of our last good spawning class, which was 2014. It’s very important to handle these fish with care as the future of this fishery depends on that class passing down a good set of genes now that they’re all just about spawning age. 

3 hours ago, 27conch said:

I have had them like this in NJ for the last month and a half.  I have caught some really nice fish in skinny water on spooks and metal lip swimmers.

InkedIMG_0493_LI.JPG

InkedIMG_0494_LI.JPG

Now those are fish, landhugger fisherman rarely get those ! Kudos:rav:

10 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Reason these fish are mostly in the 24” and over range is because they’re the product of our last good spawning class, which was 2014. It’s very important to handle these fish with care as the future of this fishery depends on that class passing down a good set of genes now that they’re all just about spawning age. 

Thanks for that info, All of us fully respect and care about catch and release carefully. Yes These are special :rav:

Man-o-man, this makes me want to go right now!!  Alas, the wife only gave me Tuesday and Thursday to get out.  So Tuesday will be 1st yak trip for striper season and Thursday, probably somewhere from shore.  1st out of the box will be topwater of course!

I mostly fish south of the nh-mass border. The months not done yet, but so far its been a pretty good may with some size in the mix. Certainly better than last may, for me. It can be an inconsistent month but not this year. 

On 5/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, Ftyer said:

Just hope that there are a few good spawns in the next couple years to help rebuild the cow numbers that we all love