John2211

Braided line. 180lb

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, EricL said:

:lost:

Just drone a bait out with a tuna 50w setup.

Don’t know where this guy is but this isn’t always an option. Assateague Island doesn’t allow drones so it’s either you yak it out or use heavy spinning gear.  

19 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Don’t know where this guy is but this isn’t always an option. Assateague Island doesn’t allow drones so it’s either you yak it out or use heavy spinning gear.  

RC boat.

I considered going this route for my casted baits also . I picked up some tuff line in 130lb and 200lb, 150 m spools. Pretty inexpensive. 
I quickly gave up on the idea. I just couldn’t get that braid to braid fg knot to work. 
   I run a 13’3 heavy surf rod . It’s just easier to handle sharks with a long 400 lb mono rub leader . I keep the entire rig around 6-7 feet . It all stays outside the guides . 6CF74A54-6C43-487F-A8A8-DEA01FDA6D63.jpeg.59ecd653f49b240022fc0ed92b9222f4.jpeg

1 hour ago, EricL said:

RC boat.

The Aqua Cat. It's as expensive or more expensive than the drone. The "fully loaded" kit is $2800. The base kit is $1200. Probably better than a drone, as it's made for dropping baits. Pretty sure it's South African. Neat idea.

Rc boats are the best to skirt the drone ban in some places. But if usable, id drone drop baits 100%.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:52 PM, John2211 said:

The main purpose is to advance my spinning rig setup. I've seen some fisherman from South Africa (Youtube) land some 8ft plus sand tigers and bronze whalers in the 400+lb range of spinning gear. One of the was using 180lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line going through the guides. Others stated they used 150lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line. Those fisherman in S.A are at times fishing on high bank rocks so it is needed and those 400lb sand tigers and bronze whalers aren't tail whipping thru that 180lb braid neither. So that has got my attention too. Not apposed to 150lb braid if it aids in tail whip protection. But the fisherman was using 180lb solid braid.

My next fishing trip I want to avoid tail whipping and have an opportunity to land bigger fish in 8ft + range. I have a 13ft custom spinning surf rod (30-80lb rating 6 -16oz)  designed for the sharks with heavy duty low riding Fuji guides....

A 5 to 6ft casting section leader outside the rod guide tip for distance and the heavier braid leader through the guides for bigger fish in the surf zone to help with tail whip protection.

This can be a win win situation for me and the fish. Easy release with my barbless circle hooks and the fish won't be swimming off with all that leader leader in its mouth.

Now that I know what you are trying to accomplish I would use mono Wind On. Pick the pound test for your needs, You can purchase them in any pound test at any length to suit your needs. Eighteen feet of 150lb mono to some wire should get you there. Just make sure your shoes are tied on tight... :laugh:

Just tie a triple surgeons loop to the braid your spooled up with.        

Then attach the wind on. The triple surgeons loop is a strong effective knot if properly tied that wont pull out. 

I used the triple surgeons loop on a tuna trip; the line was 100lb. Jerry Brown hollow core attached to 130 pound fluorocarbon wind on leader. Didn't want to mess with needles on the boat and that knot held up to the pull of 30 pounds of drag from a tuna north of 250 pounds making multiple runs...:)

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

Now that I know what you are trying to accomplish I would use mono Wind On. Pick the pound test for your needs, You can purchase them in any pound test at any length to suit your needs. Eighteen feet of 150lb mono to some wire should get you there. Just make sure your shoes are tied on tight... :laugh:

Just tie a triple surgeons loop to the braid your spooled up with.        

Then attach the wind on. The triple surgeons loop is a strong effective knot if properly tied that wont pull out. 

I used the triple surgeons loop on a tuna trip; the line was 100lb. Jerry Brown hollow core attached to 130 pound fluorocarbon wind on leader. Didn't want to mess with needles on the boat and that knot held up to the pull of 30 pounds of drag from a tuna north of 250 pounds making multiple runs...:)

He wants this for casting baits off the beach with a long spinning rod . Braided main line to heavy braided rub leader via fg knot is the South African style he is going for .

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, justafisher said:

He wants this for casting baits off the beach with a long spinning rod . Braided main line to heavy braided rub leader via fg knot is the South African style he is going for .

Know what he said; he originally requested, any companies that sell 180lb solid braid in the 100 to 300 yard spools in the United States

Just thought this was a better option.

Used wind on application on all my tuna rods. All are popping rods are equipped with spinning reels and over sized guides. The surgeons knot is small, passes through the guides well, easy to tie and it's strong.

It will catch a shark, and there is no better abrasion resistance material than mono, that I know of.

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

The main purpose is to advance my spinning rig setup. I've seen some fisherman from South Africa (Youtube) land some 8ft plus sand tigers and bronze whalers in the 400+lb range of spinning gear. One of the was using 180lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line going through the guides. Others stated they used 150lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line. Those fisherman in S.A are at times fishing on high bank rocks so it is needed and those 400lb sand tigers and bronze whalers aren't tail whipping thru that 180lb braid neither. So that has got my attention too. Not apposed to 150lb braid if it aids in tail whip protection. But the fisherman was using 180lb solid braid.

My next fishing trip I want to avoid tail whipping and have an opportunity to land bigger fish in 8ft + range. I have a 13ft custom spinning surf rod (30-80lb rating 6 -16oz)  designed for the sharks with heavy duty low riding Fuji guides....

A 5 to 6ft casting section leader outside the rod guide tip for distance and the heavier braid leader through the guides for bigger fish in the surf zone to help with tail whip protection.

This can be a win win situation for me and the fish. Easy release with my barbless circle hooks and the fish won't be swimming off with all that leader leader in its mouth.

I have tried a few brands and Bullbuster 200lb has been my #1 since last year. The FG knot is definitely the way to go and the difference from 180 to 200 is un-noticeable on the 20' leader. I have 5 reels set up this way with no failures and we are on the beach about  every weekend from April to November. That FG knot goes through the guides smoother than any other knot, one note is after the ~5 half hitch knots use a Rizzuto finish to secure everything. I use two 1'' wooden dowels with shrink tube over it to really cinch down the knots. 

43 mins ago, MDsurffishing said:

I have tried a few brands and Bullbuster 200lb has been my #1 since last year. The FG knot is definitely the way to go and the difference from 180 to 200 is un-noticeable on the 20' leader. I have 5 reels set up this way with no failures and we are on the beach about  every weekend from April to November. That FG knot goes through the guides smoother than any other knot, one note is after the ~5 half hitch knots use a Rizzuto finish to secure everything. I use two 1'' wooden dowels with shrink tube over it to really cinch down the knots. 

Thanks for response MDsurffishing. Did it take long to to receive that 200lb bullbuster braid after purscase?

they were pretty quick but I just checked their website and it appears to be having some issues or they don't have a web presence any longer. I do see the fishing shop has it in 500yd spools for $75 in yellow, you can try giving them a call to check availability and shipping

I just sent the owner of Bullbuster an email and he replied they are no longer selling braid. The next suggestion would be power pro or AFW downrigger braid, you can get it from Amazon next day

Here’s another idea, use 130 braid and with a longer rod you could use 9-10’ of 100 lb steelon  leader. Fished hammerheads and lemons for years using a 12’ rod and this set up never failed. After a large shark is fought the leader is trash, but holds . Largest was a 10.6 hammerhead pushing 400 . I did use a convential 6/0 but you could get same results swing casting instead of overhand

On 5/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, Lou T said:

Know what he said; he originally requested, any companies that sell 180lb solid braid in the 100 to 300 yard spools in the United States

Just thought this was a better option.

Used wind on application on all my tuna rods. All are popping rods are equipped with spinning reels and over sized guides. The surgeons knot is small, passes through the guides well, easy to tie and it's strong.

It will catch a shark, and there is no better abrasion resistance material than mono, that I know of.

Lou T

Thank you for posting this. Had to watch the clips a few times . Seems so simple . I’m goin to give this a try . 

John,

The heavy braid leader set up does work. If you can only get 150lb then use it it will be fine. It casts well.

The guys who sell gt icreams in the USA sell JDB and Gseon braid into the USA too - gticream dot com

You will be using 1.5m of heavy mono or wire up front anyway.

FG or PR to join the braid main to braid leader.