John2211

Braided line. 180lb

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Forum... Are there any companies that sell 180lb solid braid in the 100 to 300 yard spools in the United States? Excluding TUF-line. I see there are a few over seas in S.A and Australia. Just wondering if that is available in the states....

Not sure about 180 but “tight line” is made in Texas and they sell 150 pound solid. They go higher in hollow core. If you check The YouTube channel “team hard life” Albert the tackle shop owner does a tour of the facility. He does a bunch of spooling videos and points out frays, and other defects with braids. It seems like tight line is taking these flaws into account but time will tell. 

Definitely interested in the JDB fishing lines in the 180lb. If plan A doesn't work out does anyone know of any reputable websites to buy overseas?

Just now, youngsalt said:

Not sure about 180 but “tight line” is made in Texas and they sell 150 pound solid. They go higher in hollow core. If you check The YouTube channel “team hard life” Albert the tackle shop owner does a tour of the facility. He does a bunch of spooling videos and points out frays, and other defects with braids. It seems like tight line is taking these flaws into account but time will tell. 

Thanks for heads up youngsalt.....

Cortland sells their master braid in 12 strand 130 and 200lb weight.

.026 and .036 in respectively.

150, 200, and 300 yd spools for small amounts.

1200, 1500, 2500, 3500 yd for larger spools.

3 mins ago, ArcticRanger said:

Just curious what the intended use is for solid braid in this lb class? 

Towing a boat, perhaps?

Jerry Brown - Line One Non - Hollow Spectra braided comes in 130, and 200 lb test. Dealers offer it in 300yd. spools

Tuf-Line is a quality Spectra. Never had a issue with it

I used hercules 300lb for magnet fishing.... :)

worked great.

Amazon has it.  Was pretty good stuff smooth, handled well on a tranx 500

4 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I used hercules 300lb for magnet fishing.... :)

worked great.

Amazon has it.  Was pretty good stuff smooth, handled well on a tranx 500

What rod?

2x4?

18 hours ago, John2211 said:

Forum... Are there any companies that sell 180lb solid braid in the 100 to 300 yard spools in the United States? Excluding TUF-line. I see there are a few over seas in S.A and Australia. Just wondering if that is available in the states....

There was a company called US Line Westfield, Ma .that sold 130-180 Irish linen/ braided Dacron. A longtime tuna and marlin line. Think they moved to NJ. Maybe you can locate them. I bought for shark fishing in Florida, Years ago diameter was never a thought , but the US one in 130lb. Was same dia. As 50 lb. Mono:rav:

Posted (edited) · Report post

The main purpose is to advance my spinning rig setup. I've seen some fisherman from South Africa (Youtube) land some 8ft plus sand tigers and bronze whalers in the 400+lb range of spinning gear. One of the was using 180lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line going through the guides. Others stated they used 150lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line. Those fisherman in S.A are at times fishing on high bank rocks so it is needed and those 400lb sand tigers and bronze whalers aren't tail whipping thru that 180lb braid neither. So that has got my attention too. Not apposed to 150lb braid if it aids in tail whip protection. But the fisherman was using 180lb solid braid.

My next fishing trip I want to avoid tail whipping and have an opportunity to land bigger fish in 8ft + range. I have a 13ft custom spinning surf rod (30-80lb rating 6 -16oz)  designed for the sharks with heavy duty low riding Fuji guides....

A 5 to 6ft casting section leader outside the rod guide tip for distance and the heavier braid leader through the guides for bigger fish in the surf zone to help with tail whip protection.

This can be a win win situation for me and the fish. Easy release with my barbless circle hooks and the fish won't be swimming off with all that leader leader in its mouth.

Edited by John2211

2 hours ago, John2211 said:

The main purpose is to advance my spinning rig setup. I've seen some fisherman from South Africa (Youtube) land some 8ft plus sand tigers and bronze whalers in the 400+lb range of spinning gear. One of the was using 180lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line going through the guides. Others stated they used 150lb braid FG knoted to their braided main line. Those fisherman in S.A are at times fishing on high bank rocks so it is needed and those 400lb sand tigers and bronze whalers aren't tail whipping thru that 180lb braid neither. So that has got my attention too. Not apposed to 150lb braid if it aids in tail whip protection. But the fisherman was using 180lb solid braid.

My next fishing trip I want to avoid tail whipping and have an opportunity to land bigger fish in 8ft + range. I have a 13ft custom spinning surf rod (30-80lb rating 6 -16oz)  designed for the sharks with heavy duty low riding Fuji guides....

A 5 to 6ft casting section leader outside the rod guide tip for distance and the heavier braid leader through the guides for bigger fish in the surf zone to help with tail whip protection.

This can be a win win situation for me and the fish. Easy release with my barbless circle hooks and the fish won't be swimming off with all that leader leader in its mouth.

Why not just buy kevlar cord from tufline and use that?