TheClamGovernor

Respirator Suggestions?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Finally picked up a lathe and some ayc, going to try turning tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions on a respirator, dont want to go too crazy just something simple to protect my lungs. Thanks in advance!

One of the most overlooked aspect of wearing a respirator, is PROPER FIT and seal 

on your face.... if its loose, sagging, you have a beard, etc... and there are gaps, 

you are actually sucking in dust/vapors etc. in through these gaps, and they are not trace amounts...   

any mask is better than no mask.... and mask + proper fit /seal is what you need. 

also, dont keep taking it off and on.   

3 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

One of the most overlooked aspect of wearing a respirator, is PROPER FIT and seal 

on your face.... if its loose, sagging, you have a beard, etc... and there are gaps, 

you are actually sucking in dust/vapors etc. in through these gaps, and they are not trace amounts...   

any mask is better than no mask.... and mask + proper fit /seal is what you need. 

also, dont keep taking it off and on.   

100%   I always shave myself when I know I will be wearing a respirator. When you get a chance try to invest in a dust collector & air filtration unit.  The Dust collector will pickup the fine dust that you dont see (if setup properly)  and the air filtration system will pickup the floating particles of dust that lingers and can end up in your lungs.  I invested deeply into my setup, wasn't cheap but I only have 1 life.  I have a 6" cyclone dust collection system and 2 air filtration units.  I am not saying you need to go that route right away but if you can afford it why not, that should be priority one.  if you cannot afford it look for a used unit online and at least have something.  The last thing you want to do is become allergic to a wood because of over exposure or damage your lungs.  

I used the 3M Pro, swap out the paint filters for dust filters when I go from chemicals to pure saw dust.  The most important aspect of the mask is fit, fit, and fit.  Just make sure you have the correct filter for what you are doing or using.