Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HopHead

Gun for my moose hunt

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, HopHead said:

Farrell mounts

20220518_195914.jpg

20220518_195851.jpg

Good lookin stuff.    

 

Now I'd spend my $$$ and time on scope, mounting & prep, ammo and shooting. 

 

Do what @snapper1 says and zero 1inch high at 100yds. Shoot farther if u can. Don't sweat it if you can't. Just get time behind the rifle.

Make a sissy bag. 

Shoot TF outta that gun.  

Get off the bench.  

 

If your club allows it, start shooting random things off the berm.  I like PEEPs.    My old club had a rule no ground targets.  So I made a bunch of chopstik tripods with a string and screw dangling down.  Perfect size for a swinging peep.  

 

 

 

Eta.   Don't forget to degrease the mount and all screws & holes with 90% alcohol and loctite everything when mounted (i use red, it aint moving without heat)  

 

 

Sissypad.  I use a rolled/folded towel & duct tape.  But there are fancy options. 

 

 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think everyone agrees that you already have a perfect gun for the job and good glass will complete the set-up.  Then it's the consideration of ammo.  I think the 180 grain bullet is perfect for the 300 Win Mag on moose.  Some may have said 200s back in the day, but premium bullets are so good now that a 150 grain could penetrate like an old 200 now.  The solid copper, like Barnes, or bonded bullets like Nosler Accubonds are very good.  Not sure what it's like finding factory ammo these days.  Hopefully you can score a few boxes of good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, jolly mon said:

A good knife or a decent set of Binoculars  isn't a huge amount of money if your making a steady living but the guides I've known and used don't have it very steady when the the season is over they run around looking for more work , They don't guide to get rich they do it for the love of being out there 

been with guides both huntin' and fishin' since '72..........I don't tolerate theft and I don't give away my stuff....I don't invest in cheap equipment......but I'm a good tipper if ya do what your supposed to......I'm no "push over" in the field.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

been with guides both huntin' and fishin' since '72..........I don't tolerate theft and I don't give away my stuff....I don't invest in cheap equipment......but I'm a good tipper if ya do what your supposed to......I'm no "push over" in the field.

Just curious,  how did "I don't tolerate theft" get into this discussion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depending on where you are and who your with, like everything else........it happens.....may I also include drunkenness and/or drugs.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Depending on where you are and who your with, like everything else........it happens.....may I also include drunkenness and/or drugs.

When we were in the NWT on a caribou hunt, they were surprised that our particular guide was home and sober when they called him.  They stay out in the bush for a few weeks at a time, get a nice stash of cash and them paint the town red.  Not all of them, but certainly some of them.  I can see this.  I'm sure it depends on the area, the outfitter and the crop of guides that are available.  I'd say that this is rare, but can happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Mummichog said:

I think everyone agrees that you already have a perfect gun for the job and good glass will complete the set-up.  Then it's the consideration of ammo.  I think the 180 grain bullet is perfect for the 300 Win Mag on moose.  Some may have said 200s back in the day, but premium bullets are so good now that a 150 grain could penetrate like an old 200 now.  The solid copper, like Barnes, or bonded bullets like Nosler Accubonds are very good.  Not sure what it's like finding factory ammo these days.  Hopefully you can score a few boxes of good stuff.

X2. 

Having seen what a 22cal Barnes Triple X bullet can do on deer & hogs, I'd have no issues with a larger version on just about anything else.  But bullet choice is a very personal thing.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

But bullet choice is a very personal thing.  

It is, isn't it.  It's like Ford, Chevy, Dodge with car people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2022 at 7:09 AM, Mummichog said:

I think everyone agrees that you already have a perfect gun for the job and good glass will complete the set-up.  Then it's the consideration of ammo.  I think the 180 grain bullet is perfect for the 300 Win Mag on moose.  Some may have said 200s back in the day, but premium bullets are so good now that a 150 grain could penetrate like an old 200 now.  The solid copper, like Barnes, or bonded bullets like Nosler Accubonds are very good.  Not sure what it's like finding factory ammo these days.  Hopefully you can score a few boxes of good stuff.

The 180 Barnes would absolutely be my 1st choice in 30 cal also. if I could carry two guns it'd be my 45-70 guide gun and Savage 30-06 bolt gun. If forced to pick one I might choose neither and go with the old 7400. 180 Barnes zeroed for 50 with the irons...the Leupold in Warne QR mounts zeroed 1 1/2 high at 100. Wouldn't be too concerned about a stainless rifle either, bring some oil and a few rags and keep it wiped down at the end of each day...all my blued guns have survived wet heavy rain/snow, hell that's what they were made for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just talked to a bud that had a zeiss....traded it for a swaro and said loves it better by a lot. Looking at this one....pretty much same price as zeiss.

Screenshot_20220520-114958_Google.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, HopHead said:

Just talked to a bud that had a zeiss....traded it for a swaro and said loves it better by a lot. Looking at this one....pretty much same price as zeiss.

Screenshot_20220520-114958_Google.jpg

They make GREAT glass,  Can't go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

not sure if you’ve ever watched “Wind River” on Netflix but Jeremy Renner carries a stainless Marlin 1895 45-70 that plays a big part in the movie.  Plus it’s a great movie, filmed in Montana  Wyoming. 

39F5EFCA-AE7C-4534-A17B-963D5BA7428D.jpeg

Edited by blastwater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that this is prolly a one time hunt for me and is so far away and so expensive I've pretty much decided to dispose of the 45-70 idea.  If I lived there I'd only hunt them with a bow or iron sights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.