Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HopHead

Gun for my moose hunt

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

Chiappa makes some nice looking stainless lever guns. Never fired them but they look nice. They also sell some old school (case hardened) guns. Really sharp looking. 

Prices are stupid right now. 

8 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

If I ever draw a moose tag or elk tag(again) I'll probably get a stainless bolt gun in 300 win mag. Slap a 4-12x power scope with bdc turrets.  

I already have a 7mm-08 for deer sized game. 

I do have a TC encore...I guess I could get another barrel.  

:)

I'd pass on a Henry.

I'd ask the outfitter if the guide carries a rifle. If you get in the last day,  200y shot scenario, I'm sure you could use it ( verify zero beforehand).

You might also take a look at a Model 71 Winchester in .348 Win. 

:v:

13 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

If I ever draw a moose tag or elk tag(again) I'll probably get a stainless bolt gun in 300 win mag. Slap a 4-12x power scope with bdc turrets.  

I already have a 7mm-08 for deer sized game. 

I do have a TC encore...I guess I could get another barrel.  

Exactly what I have already....stainless/synthetic 300winmag.  I swore off that gun when I missed that elk in ID at 180 broadside but it wasn't the gun it was the scope and the operator.  That's what I'm leaning toward now.  I have a 2.5-12x leica on my CZ .308 but ss is the way to go on a hunt like this.  Scope suggestions?

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

.308, '06, .300 Mag, .35, .38-55, .444 Marlin, .45-70.......it's all good.

Absolutely.....but I'd kick the **** outta myself if I picked the wrong one for the task 3500 miles away and umpteen thousand dollars in. I have 3 of those you mentioned but it may have to be the 300.

17 mins ago, HopHead said:

Exactly what I have already....stainless/synthetic 300winmag.  I swore off that gun when I missed that elk in ID at 180 broadside but it wasn't the gun it was the scope and the operator.  That's what I'm leaning toward now.  I have a 2.5-12x leica on my CZ .308 but ss is the way to go on a hunt like this.  Scope suggestions?

Since you already have that Leica on hand...Just make the switch.

That 300 of yours paired with the Leica would a combo hard to beat. Your guide will be pleased when you open that gun case...

Just my opinion.

11 mins ago, HopHead said:

I'm in NJ where scopes ain't used too much and when they are it ain't far. Lol. 

I'm a Leupold guy but also have vortex on a couple ARs. On my TC encore (muzzy) I have a Leupold 3-9x and have never shot over 130 yards. 

I put a 2-7x Leupold on my 7mm-08 on my cow elk hunt. I practiced to 200 yards. Sighted in 1 1/2" high at 100. 180 yard shot, scope was cranked to 6x. 

I have a couple Nikon on 2 slug guns but I think Nikon is getting away from Scopes.  

I'm assuming most of your scopes are 40 or 44mm bell(end of scope). Maybe consider one in 50mm. Would require higher scope rings/mounts.  Some guys swear by them for light gathering qualities. I have no experience with those.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

34 mins ago, HopHead said:

Absolutely.....but I'd kick the **** outta myself if I picked the wrong one for the task 3500 miles away and umpteen thousand dollars in. I have 3 of those you mentioned but it may have to be the 300.

Difference is how close can ya get.............most Moose that I've seen were pretty close...under 100yds. and ya always bring a back up rifle anyway.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

16 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

I'm in NJ where scopes ain't used too much and when they are it ain't far. Lol. 

I'm a Leupold guy but also have vortex on a couple ARs. On my TC encore (muzzy) I have a Leupold 3-9x and have never shot over 130 yards. 

I put a 2-7x Leupold on my 7mm-08 on my cow elk hunt. I practiced to 200 yards. Sighted in 1 1/2" high at 100. 180 yard shot, scope was cranked to 6x. 

I have a couple Nikon on 2 slug guns but I think Nikon is getting away from Scopes.  

I'm assuming most of your scopes are 40 or 44mm bell(end of scope). Maybe consider one in 50mm. Would require higher scope rings/mounts.  Some guys swear by them for light gathering qualities. I have no experience with those.  

I agree with you.

But that Leica already has superb glass and light transmission, even in a 44 mm...Personally, I would not hesitate to take it for a walk...

Cheers

17 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Difference is how close can ya get.............most Moose that I've seen were pretty close...under 100yds. and ya always bring a back up rifle anyway.

Ya my thoughts too but there will be no backup rifle available.

33 mins ago, snapper1 said:

Since you already have that Leica on hand...Just make the switch.

That 300 of yours paired with the Leica would a combo hard to beat. Your guide will be pleased when you open that gun case...

Just my opinion.

Hate switching scopes between guns.  Patient gave me a $500 BPS card this morning.....that oughta be adequate for a wilderness hunt scope.

19 mins ago, HopHead said:

Ya my thoughts too but there will be no backup rifle available.

I'm sure your guide will work the water ways... river bottoms, lake shores and alders, I always have a back up rifle when going on a trip. Usually it's an '06 that I could reach out if need be....not my primary.

8 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I'm sure your guide will work the water ways... river bottoms, lake shores and alders, I always have a back up rifle when going on a trip. Usually it's an '06 that I could reach out if need be....not my primary.

So you think he'd be ok with me showing up with 2 rifles?

Posted (edited) · Report post

You think I'm goin' on a hunt in BC Canada which might cost me $$$$ for days and only bring one rifle.......whenever I leave home on a hunt, whether it be Maine or Pa. I always bring a sighted in back up.......ever hear of Murphy's Law.....he's got a knack of showin' up....and I use an '06 as a back-up 'cause the ammo is pretty much available all over. Last bear I shot had to be retrieved out of his cave where he got back to and died.....left my rifles in camp and tracked'em up the Mtn. with a borrowed 870 with slugs.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal