Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HopHead

Gun for my moose hunt

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

So it's in northern BC on horseback.....I'd love to use open sights on a .45-70 or something.  Gotta be reasonably close shots no?  Just feel like it would be way more satisfying being up close and personal inside 100 yds.  Next chore is gonna be finding a stainless one.  Thoughts?

I believe Ruger started production on a Marlin lever gun in .45-70 this year.  It's done in stainless but I'm not sure about availability.

My friend in New Hampshire shot a moose  on the other side of the mountain from his cabin, he was up close and personal. You could use the same gun as he used, they make it in 45/70 and other calibers. Thompson Contender Encore with an 18" barrel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Henry All Weather is stainless steel and comes in thutty thutty and 45/70. They're around $1,100.

H010GAWP_Hero-1.jpg

Edited by Bass Ackwards

I've never owned or even handled a Henry but I LOVE the way they sell their guns and everything they make. MADE IN AMERICA OR NOT MADE AT ALL. If I was looking for a 45/70 lever I would first try to find an older Marlin made in North Haven and if that failed it would be a Henry.

Interesting take from a native on another forum.....said what if your shot is at 175 at dark on the last day?  He also mentioned QR rings where I guess you carry the scope in your pack until you need it. No experience with those.

You can't carry everything needed for every "what if" situation. Just carry the gun you want, enjoy the hunt, and don't wait for dark on the last day to shoot.

What do u own already?  

I'll be the Deborah Downer and say it.   Shoot what u have.  Spend the money on ammo and shoot what u have.  

If I understand correctly, as a US resident you will be paying major dollars for that hunt. Probably around 15 K...Or a bit more...

Therefore you should ask and listen to your outfitter's advice.

You should not listen or ask advice anywhere else.

Case closed.

.300 Weatherby with the best optics you can get.You may only get one shot at the trophy of a lifetime.I am a Model 70 guy but there are plenty of nice rifles out there.

CT

Talk to the outfitter.  He can tell you what the terrain is like, what the average shot distant is likely to be, how you will be hunting (spot and stalk, calling), based on the above he will tell you what ballistics he suggests.    For the money you are spending, you want to make sure you show up with the right gun.  Moose can be incredibly tough, especially if they aren't anchored with the first shot.  

Listen to what he tells in regards to all gear.  If its a fly in hunt, you will be limited to the weight you can take on the plane.

Have fun, it sounds like a blast

If I ever draw a moose tag or elk tag(again) I'll probably get a stainless bolt gun in 300 win mag. Slap a 4-12x power scope with bdc turrets.  

I already have a 7mm-08 for deer sized game. 

I do have a TC encore...I guess I could get another barrel.