Hokahey

PB SURF PERCH let’s see em

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I can't find the picture but 17 1/4" is my PB.... Taken on a Hopkins Shorty while striper fishing about 1 1/4  miles North of where you caught that one pictured.... I recognize that back ground... Back then I thought I had a state record so I did some checking & the record was 17 1/2"...... Since then I believe some 18" BSP have been taken around Morrow Bay & further south... Mike  p.s.  Back in the mid 1950's  my dad & I were fishing at Bird Rock about 1/2 mile North of Lighthouse point & we saw a guy get a Red Tail perch that I am certain was well over 18".  I have speared Pacific White perch & Rubber Lips over 18"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

I can't find the picture but 17 1/4" is my PB.... Taken on a Hopkins Shorty while striper fishing about 1 1/4  miles North of where you caught that one pictured.... I recognize that back ground... Back then I thought I had a state record so I did some checking & the record was 17 1/2"...... Since then I believe some 18" BSP have been taken around Morrow Bay & further south... Mike  p.s.  Back in the mid 1950's  my dad & I were fishing at Bird Rock about 1/2 mile North of Lighthouse point & we saw a guy get a Red Tail perch that I am certain was well over 18".  I have speared Pacific White perch & Rubber Lips over 18"

The only reason this one was 17.25 is cause it had a long body with long tail . I’ve caught 16inchers that dwarf this fish that had huge block  heads like a pit bull. The funny thing was when I caught that fish I was striper fishing it swallowed a red head sp minnow and I didn’t know perch were good eating .  the pinoy fisherman fishing on both sides of me walked up to check out the fish and I gave it to one of em he was so happy haha .now I wouldn’t give that fish away at all it would get cooked and eaten quickly . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bass11 said:

Yup! Background is a giveaway.:D

Only you sharpie locals know where that is I’m not worried anyone will find my footprints haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, Hokahey said:

The only reason this one was 17.25 is cause it had a long body with long tail . I’ve caught 16inchers that dwarf this fish that had huge block  heads like a pit bull. The funny thing was when I caught that fish I was striper fishing it swallowed a red head sp minnow and I didn’t know perch were good eating .  the pinoy fisherman fishing on both sides of me walked up to check out the fish and I gave it to one of em he was so happy haha .now I wouldn’t give that fish away at all it would get cooked and eaten quickly . 

Hmmmmmmmmmm.  My best was also taken on a red headed SP at night a little north of you.  A little over 17" or slightly under the 18" marker on my rod.

Edited by bass11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, bass11 said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm.  My best was also taken on a red headed SP at night a little south of you.  A little over 17" or slightly under the 18" marker on my rod.

Wow at night interesting I didn’t know perch would hit at night 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Hokahey said:

Wow at night interesting I didn’t know perch would hit at night 

Yeppers.  Kinda surprised me, too.  Always good to learn something new.  Have not caught any smaller perch at night, tho.  The few I've caught at night have been pretty good size, but that may be because they're striper by catch.  That was a good evening as the stripers were biting, also, and small perch would have been real nervous or cleared out.  Kept a 19 and released a 12 & 8.

BTW, I meant to say slightly north of you.  Not south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've posted this before, but here's my wife with her PB barred surf perch at 17" a few years back. 

IMG_20160429_121834.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2022 at 1:10 PM, bass11 said:

 Kept a 19 and released a 12 & 8.

BTW, I meant to say slightly north of you.  Not south.

when you say "kept a 19" was that a perch or striper? small striper, but HUGE perch. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

I've posted this before, but here's my wife with her PB barred surf perch at 17" a few years back. 

IMG_20160429_121834.jpg

Geeze Louise uncle Stu now That’s a fatty. There is some hungry jumbos around lately nothing that big yet my buddy caught a fat 15 on the dot and gave it to me it fed me and my wife and 2 year old son 

BEC288AA-8952-49E9-9661-DF14DD147FD8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

when you say "kept a 19" was that a perch or striper? small striper, but HUGE perch. 

 

Stripers.  Kept a 19 lb and released a 12 lb and 8 lb.  The perch was a surprise bonus which I kept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bass11 said:

Stripers.  Kept a 19 lb and released a 12 lb and 8 lb.  The perch was a surprise bonus which I kept.

 

ha!! and here I was thinking 19 inches ... silly me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a pretty satisfying evening.  A lot of guys like dark colors at night, but for some reason a mostly red & white (lots of paint loss) SP works very well for me at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.