Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

What's current in your bag? Please help me pack.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey folks,

I've got a very rare opportunity to fish the OC surf (very popular and well known spot) latter this week. Unfortunately I'm moving to the opposite side of the county and this will very likely be my last opportunity. I want to make the best of it and appreciate a little help.

I'm getting older and will be with my wife so my fishing will not be at night.

The tides look like dead low at dawn and coming till mid day.

Though I'll have some limited access to the back, I'll be fishing out front. While chunking is a possibility, I much rather plug. Trying to figure out drifting bugs may be a good option. 

That being said, what are current must haves for the plug bag?

PM's are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Edited by jjdbike

since your wife will be with you it's unclear to me if you will be on the move. if not, i suggest a bait rod out with clams and plug away to the sides of it. for lures, cant go wrong with some metals, bucktails, and soft plastics (whip it fish, keitech paddle tails, etc). i would also bring a couple poppers/pencil poppers for any bluefish that may show. good luck

17 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Pack a hobkins and some buck tails …if the wind kicks up at least you can still fish 

Yes a couple Hopkins & bucktails are a giving. Thanks.

16 hours ago, surfstryker said:

since your wife will be with you it's unclear to me if you will be on the move. if not, i suggest a bait rod out with clams and plug away to the sides of it. for lures, cant go wrong with some metals, bucktails, and soft plastics (whip it fish, keitech paddle tails, etc). i would also bring a couple poppers/pencil poppers for any bluefish that may show. good luck

Unfortunately, I missed getting a pass this year for first year in decades. I'm walking on, carrying gear. I will be as mobile as I can walking and  carrying my gear.

Yes, I'll have bait & plugs. I'll bring metal and poppers incase blues show up.

7 hours ago, Foureel said:

I am not much of a bait guy but i have been hearing clams are king right now, especially during the day 

Fully agree. I so much prefer plugging, but as you say, clams seem to be king right now.

To make matters much worse, the forecast is calling for sustained south wind..... NOT what is needed.

Thanks everyone!!!!

JD