Float Tube Fishing the RB - Oh Yeah - Maybe - Stupid

Rate this topic

adobo

I'm thinking of trying float tube fishing the RB for stripers and fluke. There are certain areas that are not that bad in terms of current and it would be a great way to get away from the crowds and maybe into more fish. Here are my pro's and con's:

Pro's:

1. Easier to haul compared to a kayak

2. Cheap and you can do a bunch of modifications

3. A way to get away from the crowds

4. Get to relatively deeper water to get into more fish

Con's:

1. You will be wet for sure

2. Current can carry you, so need to be careful

3. Fish might drag you over the Verrazano 

4. You will look stupid

Paul Matthews (left) and Kirk Smith, both of Edmond, are co-owners ODP fishing float tubes, a product that is linked with the once-popular Fishmaster float tubes made in Oklahoma City. [PHOTO BY PAUL HELLSTERN, THE OKLAHOMAN]

ngcb2

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

(*member formerly known as 'adoboboy')

I've almost been run down by a few idiot boaters in a big yellow kayak with a flag - your lifespan will be extremely short

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

I don't think it would be that dangerous if you are thinking the same as me going ~500 yards out from shore. Relying on swim fins to move though seems like it would get old pretty fast.

If you don't have room for a kayak you could always just get a cheap inflatable boat with an electric trolling motor.

Edited by JerseyJeb

I wasn't planning on going further than maybe 200 yards from shore. 

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

I already have most of the gear for my kayak which I can use. Wetsuit, pfd, fish finder... I also have a trolling motor which would help me get back to shore. 

12 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Do you have a float tube yet?

Because I've got a pontoon style one for sale. It actually sits you above the water.  Has oars and oar-locks.

I do not. I'm trying to see if this is viable or not. Thanks.

Not worth the attempt which isn't what you imagine, maybe for a lake location somewhere, but Raritan Bay is full of big boats and ships and wind and rough waters, just to name a few. Add maybe a night time trip into the equation and its kinda' like a blueprint of planning your own funeral.

That's no place for float tubes, night, day or in between.  Save it for the reservoir.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM