Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I got out Friday morning, fished the outgoing tide until 1pm or so. Got 1 small schoolie, and what felt like a big fish that hit a white Joe Baggs darter, but spit it out quicker than my ex. I seem to have trouble getting a hook set in anything but schoolies. I keep my hooks sharp but maybe it's just a timing thing I need to work on. Was a few other folks around fishing, no one encroaching, but I need to start getting out after dark. 

Edited by johnysmoke

1 hour ago, johnysmoke said:

I got out Friday morning, fished the outgoing tide until 1pm or so. Got 1 small schoolie, and what felt like a big fish that hit a white Joe Baggs darter, but spit it out quicker than my ex. I seem to have trouble getting a hook set in anything but schoolies. I keep my hooks sharp but maybe it's just a timing thing I need to work on. Was a few other folks around fishing, no one encroaching, but I need to start getting out after dark. 

14 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

Why would you hang a fish that big on a 30 lb boga? You already know you aren’t gonna get an accurate weight on it either way…

TBH I was borrowing a friends, I don’t have one. It was only after the fact that I realized it only went to 30lbs 

15 hours ago, Z0rb0 said:

TBH I was borrowing a friends, I don’t have one. It was only after the fact that I realized it only went to 30lbs 

Ahh that makes more sense. Nice fish!

I heard that "the worlds greatest charter boat" (The Little Sister) has been racking up some great flounder in Boston Harbor....

052822gang.jpg

052822jag.jpg

052822johnF.jpg

052922jimpb.jpg

052922ralph.jpg

Headed out for haddock today and fished hard  south of the B-Buoy from 180’ and worked my way in towards Boston. A few really nice bruiser codfish returned back but not a haddock to be found for me. 

Landed first nice mid slot fish of season on the rising tide last night (May 30th). 

Trolled bone color bomber on kayak with super light tackle. Made me remember why I love fishing after a tough start to the season. Tons of herring running through the rivers can make it tough to get a bite but after dark seems to better your chances. There are definitly cows in the metro area for sure.

Tight lines fellas!

Mostly been doing day time fishing and been getting steady slots from kayak. Outgoing tide around herring dumps have been very productive. Need to start fishing at night. Anyone looking for kayak buddy PM me.

Edited by chewwy

Got out in the boat Thursday morning in the rain. Immediately got into a bite of lower slot sized fish in the inner harbor. The fish were on pogies, but we were hooking up on lures fished under the bait schools. The two pogie boats patrolling the area quickly mugged the small fleet of rec/charter boats working these fish (maybe 8-10 of us fishing a small area). They set their nets right in the middle of the action and that was the end of that. 

I understand these guys have a legal right to fish the inner harbor on week days, and that they're just trying to make a living, blah, blah, blah, but this is the internet and its best used for complaining. They have absolutely zero respect for the rec angler.

As I read the regs for inshore net permits, condition number two states: "The use of purse seine gear shall not occur within areas where recreational fishing activity is concentrated". An MEP boat cruised by at one point but didn't seem to have an issue/care, which leaves me questioning how an "area where recreational fishing activity is concentrated" is defined :shrug:? These guys were so close to us at one point I could have easily cast into and snagged a pogie out of their nets.

Edited by brianhfree
clarity

Believe it or not, along with the flounder there seems to be a fair amount of scup around. had over 10 yesterday and over 20 today...

(I kept 6 big ones for my house today)

060122scup.jpg

Didn't go out to salt today, went inside to a pond with the family to mess around and have them play in the play ground. Fling some lures from shore hoping to catch some bass(hasn't fish fresh for 20years). Only saw some smaller one swims by and chase my lure. Some big carps cruising by. Only caught one sun fish. 

Didn't skunk, that's all to it. 

Oh, it's free fishing weekend. No license needed.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, brianhfree said:

Got out in the boat Thursday morning in the rain. Immediately got into a bite of lower slot sized fish in the inner harbor. The fish were on pogies, but we were hooking up on lures fished under the bait schools. The two pogie boats patrolling the area quickly mugged the small fleet of rec/charter boats working these fish (maybe 8-10 of us fishing a small area). They set their nets right in the middle of the action and that was the end of that. 

I understand these guys have a legal right to fish the inner harbor on week days, and that they're just trying to make a living, blah, blah, blah, but this is the internet and its best used for complaining. They have absolutely zero respect for the rec angler.

As I read the regs for inshore net permits, condition number two states: "The use of purse seine gear shall not occur within areas where recreational fishing activity is concentrated". An MEP boat cruised by at one point but didn't seem to have an issue/care, which leaves me questioning how an "area where recreational fishing activity is concentrated" is defined :shrug:? These guys were so close to us at one point I could have easily cast into and snagged a pogie out of their nets.

They probably scooped up all the bass in their nets too. 

Edited by z-man
Typo