Richard_the_Aughth

Best time to fish the canal

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

After getting munged out of my favorite spot, I decided to try the canal,  which I haven't bothered with in a couple of years. Much to my surprise, there were very few people there! I got a good spot with plenty of room to my left and right, and I barley had to walk far from the lot. What I learned from this experience? The canal is still a great place to fish, you just need to go when no one else is there!

Disclaimer: I did not actually catch anything

15 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

After getting munged out of my favorite spot, I decided to try the canal,  which I haven't bothered with in a couple of years. Much to my surprise, there were very few people there! I got a good spot with plenty of room to my left and right, and I barley had to walk far from the lot. What I learned from this experience? The canal is still a great place to fish, you just need to go when no one else is there!

Disclaimer: I did not actually catch anything

I think lots of people fish during the dark. That's why you might find openings during the day. Also the scup are moving in soon in full force. Wait another week and you won't find parking.

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Much to my surprise, there were very few people there! I got a good spot with plenty of room to my left and right, and I barley had to walk far from the lot.

There haven't been enough social media posts yet of people catching slot fish or bigger to motivate the report chasers to swarm the canal. The crowds will be back...very soon. 

Edited by zak-striper

No fish in the Canal......................

Portable kiosks are being put in place to collect parking fees..........

No more free restrooms................

Behavior is now monitored by drones...........

Bell Rd., MMA, Scussett fish pier and Sandwich bulkhead are now residents only.............

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

Bell Rd., MMA, Scussett fish pier and Sandwich bulkhead are now residents only.............

You should post this on Facebook. I think everyone here knows 

54 mins ago, b-ware said:

b-ware knows his s__t.:witty:

go back during the next couple new moon tides and report back what you find.

You might find lights out fishing.

You will likely not find a place to fish if you don't like fishing elbow to elbow with strangers.

Back in the day, any time there was an east turn an hour or so before sunrise was a good time to go.

The best time to fish the canal is 2 hrs after sunset to one hr after sunrise. That's for stripers. Of course things could happen outside this time period such as early spring, fall, and if there is a storm or push of bait. The crowds will be there soon. When the fish show up and social media spreads the word. It's most crowed in the early mornings like 3am to 7am. 

1 hour ago, K Foley said:

Everyone should listen to b-ware. All these secrets coming out. OMG!

I am no expert by any means, listening to some of these internet heros with 5 or six years experiance those are the ones in the know.....................I'm so backwards I can drive a manual transmission car or truck, still plant my garden in the ground and change my oil and spark plugs...................

5 mins ago, b-ware said:

I am no expert by any means, listening to some of these internet heros with 5 or six years experiance those are the ones in the know.....................I'm so backwards I can drive a manual transmission car or truck, still plant my garden in the ground and change my oil and spark plugs...................

I hear you are so backwards you even drive in reverse

16 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I hear you are so backwards you even drive in reverse

Say's he who has said that he has not caught a striper for years. Go to Red Top and buy some Mackerel Pellets that should help you. Tell them Walter sent you.

6 mins ago, K Foley said:

Say's he who has said that he has not caught a striper for years. Go to Red Top and buy some Mackerel Pellets that should help you. Tell them Walter sent you.

I guess jokes aren't taken too lightly around here! Are mackerel pellets used to attract bait?