jettyjmpr

Rod repair question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 3 or 4 year old odm genesis and the heat shrink on the foregrip is not as tight as it used to be from extended use.  It is still fitted nicely but it now is a little loose and will actually slip and spin slighty causing unwanted and uncomfortable play when fighting a fish. Can this simply be reheated and reshrunk to be tight again or are these things usually a one and done. Also is blow-dryer enough or should i use my painters heat gun on a low setting. I just didnt want to damage the blank attached a picture of me giving it a little twist to show how much play it has now

20220515_205047.jpg

Edited by jettyjmpr
Added pic

Caution --- if you don't see it shrinking almost right away stop. You don't want to risk damage to the blank. If you can't remove a grip to apply a new section of shrink you could wrap with paracord or have a rod builder wrap it with thread and epoxy.

27 mins ago, XBMX said:

Caution --- if you don't see it shrinking almost right away stop. You don't want to risk damage to the blank. If you can't remove a grip to apply a new section of shrink you could wrap with paracord or have a rod builder wrap it with thread and epoxy.

Thats what i was worried about

1 hour ago, jettyjmpr said:

I have a 3 or 4 year old odm genesis and the heat shrink on the foregrip is not as tight as it used to be from extended use.  It is still fitted nicely but it now is a little loose and will actually slip and spin slighty causing unwanted and uncomfortable play when fighting a fish. Can this simply be reheated and reshrunk to be tight again or are these things usually a one and done. Also is blow-dryer enough or should i use my painters heat gun on a low setting. I just didnt want to damage the blank attached a picture of me giving it a little twist to show how much play it has now

20220515_205047.jpg

Try the blow-dryer,that's what I would have done already,if that didn't do it it prolly needs repair.

HH

Heat shrink is one and done. You will need to remove and replace. 
Spray adhesive on the blank will help prevent this issue.

When it comes to heat, remember, blanks are heated to fairly high temps when they are made. Can you eff it up - sure, but it going to take a little 'effort'. Apply the heat, keep it moving and you'll be fine. It takes a good bit of heat to get the shrink all the way down and if you don't, you can have issues like the above.

Update...heat gun worked...low setting 4 inches away rotate the rod...still a tiny tiny bit of play but significant improvement that i can live with for now considering im not close to the store with the angry name...thanks for all the imput guys