recommendation for sprayer

Rate this topic

JimP

Guys, time to spray the backyard fence with stain/weather sealant.  I am looking for a sprayer that won't break the bank but can do a good job on the exterior fence with a stain/weather sealant but can also handle a high quality paint for painting the upstairs.  I'll pay for quality since I'll save in the long-term from having to hire someone.  I'm looking for something I can just plop the hose in the bucket and not have to reload it every quart or so.  

Edited by JimP

Hi Jim ,

Here is  my repost from recently when Gray Gables asked a similar question. It should get you going in the right

direction...........

I like this one. I've gone through a few of them over the years, but it has a lot going for it. It is the smallest airless graco in the line. It is very small and light, yet powerful. It stores and moves around with ease. It is fully capable of doing a whole house inside and out, which I've done numerous times. It also good for doors and such. I normally use a finer tip than the one provided. It comes with a 515 tip, which puts out a butt load of paint. I use a 411 alot of the time, as the output is finer with less overspray and is easier to control. There are lots of tips and it is kind a world of it's own.

It cleans up mostly very quickly, as it attaches directly to your garden hose and you power spray it clean. Then you drop the hose in the storage fluid for a few seconds. Often that's enough, but sometimes you take apart the gun ect..

It's nice to have a little something around that is so capable.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 8.24.26 AM.png

21 mins ago, Seakarp said:

Hi Jim ,

Here is  my repost from recently when Gray Gables asked a similar question. It should get you going in the right

direction...........

I like this one. I've gone through a few of them over the years, but it has a lot going for it. It is the smallest airless graco in the line. It is very small and light, yet powerful. It stores and moves around with ease. It is fully capable of doing a whole house inside and out, which I've done numerous times. It also good for doors and such. I normally use a finer tip than the one provided. It comes with a 515 tip, which puts out a butt load of paint. I use a 411 alot of the time, as the output is finer with less overspray and is easier to control. There are lots of tips and it is kind a world of it's own.

It cleans up mostly very quickly, as it attaches directly to your garden hose and you power spray it clean. Then you drop the hose in the storage fluid for a few seconds. Often that's enough, but sometimes you take apart the gun ect..

It's nice to have a little something around that is so capable.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 8.24.26 AM.png

I have one of those and they work decent.   I put a 50' hose on it and was amazed at how much stain it drank from a gallon bucket before it started to spray.  

Clean up is easy and quick.   Just buy the proper tip size for your coating you want to spray.  

33 mins ago, JimP said:

Guys, time to spray the backyard fence with stain/weather sealant.  I am looking for a sprayer that won't break the bank but can do a good job on the exterior fence with a stain/weather sealant but can also handle a high quality paint for painting the upstairs.  I'll pay for quality since I'll save in the long-term from having to hire someone.  I'm looking for something I can just plop the hose in the bucket and not have to reload it every quart or so.  

JP, if you go the airless route treat it like a loaded gun, getting injected with any type of paint at 3200 lbs can kill you if not taken care of ASAP . I've painted for a long time and still dont take anything for granted when using my Airless. I have a Graco XR9, came on a wheeled cart. I think I paid $700 for it 10 or so yrs ago

already ordered from the 'zon.  with the 411 spray tip.  Told the wife I was gonna paint everything including the dog.  "You're not painting the upstairs...;"  the hell I ain't, you should see what I just ordered!!!!  

1 hour ago, DMacLeod said:

I have one of those and they work decent.   I put a 50' hose on it and was amazed at how much stain it drank from a gallon bucket before it started to spray.  

Clean up is easy and quick.   Just buy the proper tip size for your coating you want to spray.  

So this is one question I have; since it empties half a gallon to fill the hose, before you even start to spray paint, aren't you losing a lot of paint in the cleaning process??? And with the price of paint.....

6 hours ago, nightfighter said:

So this is one question I have; since it empties half a gallon to fill the hose, before you even start to spray paint, aren't you losing a lot of paint in the cleaning process??? And with the price of paint.....

You spray the paint or stain back into the can when cleaning.

11 hours ago, JimP said:

already ordered from the 'zon.  with the 411 spray tip.  Told the wife I was gonna paint everything including the dog.  "You're not painting the upstairs...;"  the hell I ain't, you should see what I just ordered!!!!  

Watch some vids on how to spray properly and practice a bit on some cardboard or such.

You should do some spraying with the gun without adding an extension 1st to get the hang of keeping it mostly squared up, straight at the wall. Then consider getting a 10inch extension to start with the extension business. It means in a lot of rooms you can spray the ceiling without a ladder and you then can do the lower wall with very little bending.

I also have good bonus tip for ya. I've found that instead of straining paint to get the boogers out you can just tie a 5 gallon straining bag, over the in take screen. Ever since I started doing that I haven't had a  booger clog up my gun yet.