ProSkateFisherman

Is it worth driving to OBX to fish over AI? And any tips for a OBX noob?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I’ve never been down to OBX, nor have I even been outside of a car in the Carolinas. Used to pass by on the way to Florida, but over the past 4 years I’ve started getting into more serious surf fishing. I take 3 or more trips to AI MD/OC every year, once in the spring, once in the late summer, and once in the fall for redfish, which I have yet to catch. This year I’ll be going down to AI once again for redfish, and hopefully I’ll finally get one. But I always wonder about OBX. I know the drum fishing down there is pretty serious, and I’ve read it’s pretty different from surf fishing elsewhere. Problem with OBX is that it’s pretty far away, and AI MD is way closer. I can’t make it down to OBX even if I wanted to this year, but next year it’s a possibility. So is it that much more worth it to drive down to NC over MD? 

I have the appropriate gear I think. I have a 12’ heaver with a squall 15 CS and another 12’ heaver spinning rod with a 6500 SSVI LL. I think I have a general idea on how to catch drum. What I don’t know is how far down I should go. I remember reading about how northern OBX is all touristy or something and the farther down the better. So is there a good starting point to drive to and then go from there? 

How is the beach driving? Is it anything like AI? Also a noob to beach driving. Just started beach driving earlier this month on AI and didn’t have a problem. Aired down to 15 and it was smooth sailing from there. I’m still cautious with it though.

And finally, is it better to fish there in the spring or the fall? I remember reading about there being a run of big reds in the early spring but IDK if that’s true. I go to AI in early october for drum up there so I’d assume it’s the same or similar down there. I’ve seen fish caught but I can’t seem to get one myself lol.

Sorry for all the questions. I’d like to go out there and learn for myself but it’s a pretty far drive and I haven’t had the chance to get down there. Any other misc. tips are helpful. Thanks for the help:)

Can't really speak of a lot of experience with AI, but have fished it twice the last 2yrs. Both times early Oct. The 1st trip didn't catch, but my buddy got a 40in red.  Last year my buddy got nothing, but I got a nice 48in red. And from what I've heard this spring has been very good in AI for stripers and black drum. And now the big blues have arrived. I know where to go in the OBX, but learning in AI MD. So I concentrate more on OBX, even though it is twice as far a drive for me then AI. If I was you, learn 1 area 1st and then broaden your horizons. With that being said if you do go down to OBX, stop at local bait&tackle shops. They are more than willing to help/point you in the right direction. Spring and fall are about equal in the places I fish in OBX. Sand is about the same and you should have no problem airing down to 15psi driving on the beach.:hooked:

The point is the place but it’s like a dance. You have a lot in a small area. Right now half of the point is shut down for birds. Spring and fall are productive. The best time to go is the day before I get there or the day I leave. We always miss it by one day. Last year the day we left they caught over a 100 citation drum at the point

You're on the right track with the two rods.  April and November are probably best for drum runs.  I have no experience driving on beaches outside of NC, but if you have a decent 4WD and a little ground clearance you'll be fine if you air down.  Personally, I would aim for the Avon-Buxton-Frisco area.  Fishing is good and great tackle shops,

You should 100% be fishing OBX - specially the southern beaches - Buxton/Avon/Frisco down to ramp 55.  It's only a 6 hour drive and you don't have to deal with a limit of cars on the beach.  If you have the right gear you can get into some awesome fish.  I go with my buddy in April and October purely for fishing.  We do week long family trips in June and September, obviously we are fishing on those trips too.  Heading down on 6/11 for a week - going to be targeting pompano all week.

You are going to need a 12' surf rod at minimum that can handle 8oz plus bait.  Mainly everyone is throwing conventional set ups for bait and we are throwing spinning gear for metal.  

If driving on the Beach to Hatteras Island/Buxton it can be a little challenging for the first time. Best Drum fishing in the country in my opinion. The north end of OBX is about 1.5-hour south drive and about 3-hours south to Buxton from where I live. Definitely worth the time. I try to make it every year when I was in the military home on leave. Not so much anymore over the years.

I was on a flight going back home on Orders from the west coast. Two gentlemen were sitting next to me on a connecting flight from Texas. They were from Missouri, and we got to talking. They were on their way to OBX/Hatteras. They said they travel all over the country through the years fishing famous and not so famous spots including areas in South America. They said they fished OBX and Hatteras the year before for the first time in their travels and it was the most unique and nicest fishing they experienced. Said they made it a goal to go back every year. 

Even if I catch next to nothing, I still have a Great time. When it opens, Driving on the beach is recommended to deflate your tires 15%. (only use a 4WD of course). 

I think I’m gonna try to get down there next year. Really sounds like it’s a fun place to take a trip to. But I can’t decide on the month. So spring vs fall? If you could take 1 trip a year there which one would you chose? I’d rather go in the spring because it’s sooner lol. But I can wait. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I think I’m gonna try to get down there next year. Really sounds like it’s a fun place to take a trip to. But I can’t decide on the month. So spring vs fall? If you could take 1 trip a year there which one would you chose? I’d rather go in the spring because it’s sooner lol. But I can wait. Thanks. 

fall.  the water is warm.....