codfish

Lightest highend spinning reel?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I'd say the Daiwa Ballistic series, even though I don't consider them high end. High end wise I'd say a Stella 5K. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

High end ultra "lightest" spinning reel, for me, I would say top, is Daiwa 22 Exist.  

The 3k ,a scant, 6.2oz, 4k 7.1oz, and the 5000D 7.4oz.  An 1oz on average lighter than the Shimano Exsence the other major high end ultra lightweight.

Of course you have the Stella FK which is also equally light and certainly  highend..  4k is 9.2oz and the C3k 7.4oz.  The Stella SW-C 4k 12.5oz

Just as an exampke: Pair the 3k-5k with say a  BH Suzuki Spl II UL 9'6" which is 6.2oz  Your looking at as light as 12.4oz combo. 

The Certate LT 4k 8.3oz and SW 5k 13.6oz  IMO, including the 20 Saltiga SW, there are no smoother reels and the Certates are light.

Comes down to what's important to you and what you are willing to shell out for it.

Edited by RiverShoulders

14 hours ago, RiverShoulders said:

High end ultra "lightest" spinning reel, for me, I would say top, is Daiwa 22 Exist.  

The 3k ,a scant, 6.2oz, 4k 7.1oz, and the 5000D 7.4oz.  An 1oz on average lighter than the Shimano Exsence the other major high end ultra lightweight.

Of course you have the Stella FK which is also equally light and certainly  highend..  4k is 9.2oz and the C3k 7.4oz.  The Stella SW-C 4k 12.5oz

Just as an exampke: Pair the 3k-5k with say a  BH Suzuki Spl II UL 9'6" which is 6.2oz  Your looking at as light as 12.4oz combo. 

The Certate LT 4k 8.3oz and SW 5k 13.6oz  IMO, including the 20 Saltiga SW, there are no smoother reels and the Certates are light.

Comes down to what's important to you and what you are willing to shell out for it.

I got a 2022 exist 3000 from digitaka for 82,000 yen with free shipping bought May 12th arriving today straight from Kobe Japan. Usd wise it was $632. Ill update when i unbox it later after work. I also have a stella 5000 fj in my arsenal i guess thats my best comparison to give off of later.

Look forward to the Exist review.  I have only held one.  It was a 2500 I think.  It was scary lightweight.  It's finish was fantastic.

Bit of a story with the point being Digitaka's customer service:

For my trip to FL, leaving this Thursday 19th night, I ordered a pile of line and a reel from Digitaka on the 7th.  Got the 6000-H Daiwa Certate SW $361, IIRC.  Also, Varivas Avani Casting SMP x8 braid 600m each, 30lb and 50lb, few 60m spools of various Seguar Grand Max leader. 

Digitaka was closed for a holiday?? from, I think, last Thursday 6th and opened again Monday 10th.  They stated all orders placed during that time would ship Monday 10th.  Monday came and went along with Tuesday with no shipping notice.  Finally, Wednesday the 13th came around and I left an email message thru the site.  Politely asked what was the delay and my main concern was that it was for a trip this Thursday 19th.  Was there anything they could do to get it to me.  (Normally orders from them take about a week to arrive from order to at  my door)  Within about 6hr I got an email back.  They sincerely apologized and stated it was shipped immediately after reading the email and would be there before my trip on the night of the 19th.  So that's either late the 13th or early 14th when it actually shipped given 12hr? time difference etc.  I just received , now yesterday, the 16th @ 12 pm.   

I have placed countless orders with them.  They have always done a top notch job.   Even in this incident, where they had some sort of "bump in the road" they responded quickly, given the time diff, and got it to me days before my trip.  This allows me to have time to load reels, tie rigs, etc.  They also seem to consistently have the lowest price on reels barring some big sale of the other popular Jpn shops.  I highly recommend them and you can save significant money on fishing line and leaders from Jpn based companies as well.

One thing I want to know, that sort of rubs me wrong,.....how is it Digitaka can get me a package that has to travel 6965 miles, past two customs inspection depots, in just 2-3 days!!  Yet, Fedex overnight delivery from NY City to my home, a mere 250 miles, multiple times lately has taken 2-3 days and another time took 7 days for "guaranteed" 3 day shipping.  The USPS standard first class mail is only 2-3 days from those locations!?!  

Anyways Digitaka is highly recommended and from my experience will do whatever can be done to make any mistake they make right.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, RiverShoulders said:

Look forward to the Exist review.  I have only held one.  It was a 2500 I think.  It was scary lightweight.  It's finish was fantastic.

Bit of a story with the point being Digitaka's customer service:

For my trip to FL, leaving this Thursday 19th night, I ordered a pile of line and a reel from Digitaka on the 7th.  Got the 6000-H Daiwa Certate SW $361, IIRC.  Also, Varivas Avani Casting SMP x8 braid 600m each, 30lb and 50lb, few 60m spools of various Seguar Grand Max leader. 

Digitaka was closed for a holiday?? from, I think, last Thursday 6th and opened again Monday 10th.  They stated all orders placed during that time would ship Monday 10th.  Monday came and went along with Tuesday with no shipping notice.  Finally, Wednesday the 13th came around and I left an email message thru the site.  Politely asked what was the delay and my main concern was that it was for a trip this Thursday 19th.  Was there anything they could do to get it to me.  (Normally orders from them take about a week to arrive from order to at  my door)  Within about 6hr I got an email back.  They sincerely apologized and stated it was shipped immediately after reading the email and would be there before my trip on the night of the 19th.  So that's either late the 13th or early 14th when it actually shipped given 12hr? time difference etc.  I just received , now yesterday, the 16th @ 12 pm.   

I have placed countless orders with them.  They have always done a top notch job.   Even in this incident, where they had some sort of "bump in the road" they responded quickly, given the time diff, and got it to me days before my trip.  This allows me to have time to load reels, tie rigs, etc.  They also seem to consistently have the lowest price on reels barring some big sale of the other popular Jpn shops.  I highly recommend them and you can save significant money on fishing line and leaders from Jpn based companies as well.

One thing I want to know, that sort of rubs me wrong,.....how is it Digitaka can get me a package that has to travel 6965 miles, past two customs inspection depots, in just 2-3 days!!  Yet, Fedex overnight delivery from NY City to my home, a mere 250 miles, multiple times lately has taken 2-3 days and another time took 7 days for "guaranteed" 3 day shipping.  The USPS standard first class mail is only 2-3 days from those locations!?!  

Anyways Digitaka is highly recommended and from my experience will do whatever can be done to make any mistake they make right.

I 100% agree with this after this experience with them (this being my first experience) i was highly pleased. I got my exist 3000 (i got the last 3000 available on their site which happened to be a shallow spool) but i loaded it up with 15lb it holds 200m of 15lb 8 strand. Gonna fish it today, overall impressions out of box are amazing, reel quality and looks 10/10. And when you turn the handle there is absolutely no resistance, smoother then butter. I was dumb founded. Now it should correlate and fish the same way with a fish on the other end, ill have to report back on that one. I am inshore saltwater fishing with it. Its extremely light, i have it paired on a Black pelican custom century weapon jr 7'6" ¼- 1¾. This combo weighs in at 11oz flat with line on the reel

Edited by ImBigNate