slim_velvet

daytime stripers

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

what works for you reliably to catch stripers from shore in the daytime?  i know the night bite is obviously superior, but every year i find myself at the beach with family during the day and i want to try and make the most of those opportunities as well.  I usually throw tins/bucktails/mag darters, but wondering what works well for others!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solely dependent on the bait in the area. But if active at a particular spot I always try a popper. Amazing how often it works. Almost like they react as if they've trying to protect there food source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sluggos. Never caught one from the beach, but 90% of my intentionally caught shore stripers are on a 4.5 or 6 inch Sluggo. The other 10% are caught on rattletraps and spec rigs while shad fishing. 

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Goes without saying, but the best hours for daytime stripers are still going to be around dusk and dawn. In the middle of the day, IME, I only catch if it’s cloudy/overcast/raining. To echo others, apart from tins, the same stuff that catches at night will catch in the day (not to say that tins will never catch at night, particularly with a bright moon, but I’ve personally never caught on one at night). The only difference is that, unless it’s heavily cloudy and with dark stained water, I’ll fish white/bone/metallic during daylight hours. If there’s fish and they’re feeling froggy, a white bucktail with a red or white tail will catch at any hour and under any conditions, of course. Top water during the daytime is a blast, but I’ve also had plenty of luck catching even in the dead of night on spooks, pencils, and (especially) red fins.

Edited by Antek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.