slim_velvet

daytime stripers

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

what works for you reliably to catch stripers from shore in the daytime?  i know the night bite is obviously superior, but every year i find myself at the beach with family during the day and i want to try and make the most of those opportunities as well.  I usually throw tins/bucktails/mag darters, but wondering what works well for others!

Solely dependent on the bait in the area. But if active at a particular spot I always try a popper. Amazing how often it works. Almost like they react as if they've trying to protect there food source.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sluggos. Never caught one from the beach, but 90% of my intentionally caught shore stripers are on a 4.5 or 6 inch Sluggo. The other 10% are caught on rattletraps and spec rigs while shad fishing. 

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

Posted (edited) · Report post

Goes without saying, but the best hours for daytime stripers are still going to be around dusk and dawn. In the middle of the day, IME, I only catch if it’s cloudy/overcast/raining. To echo others, apart from tins, the same stuff that catches at night will catch in the day (not to say that tins will never catch at night, particularly with a bright moon, but I’ve personally never caught on one at night). The only difference is that, unless it’s heavily cloudy and with dark stained water, I’ll fish white/bone/metallic during daylight hours. If there’s fish and they’re feeling froggy, a white bucktail with a red or white tail will catch at any hour and under any conditions, of course. Top water during the daytime is a blast, but I’ve also had plenty of luck catching even in the dead of night on spooks, pencils, and (especially) red fins.

Edited by Antek