Recoil Rob

Abu 7000 for Mo Jo work?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I want to set up a couple Mo Jo rigs for fishing LI Sound, minimal investment.

I have a couple MH 6-1/2' Shakespeare WonderRods sitting around and 2 Standard Abu 7000 red reels c. 1985 & 1990, that have had the drags replaced with SmoothDrag kits.

Any reason I shouldn't load them up with 50lb braid and go fishing?

Posted (edited)

I see the 7000s as more opf a casting reel, that might not stand up to a steady diet of cranking mojos over an extended period.  But if you're willing to use them as long as they last, and then move on to something else, feel free.  

Personally, I'd look for a couple of Penn 112Hs, preferably of the solid, old Philadelphia-made variety, but as you con't want to commit any cash, you use what you have.

Edited by CWitek

Ive been casting a abu 7000 with level wind removed , mono mag with 40 lb braid for 5-8 years … no issues it will hold jjust fine .. just lube the level wind /pawl …. Olive oil works fine if you don’t have anything else …

The old 7000’s will do just fine. I know guys who deep drop off the English coast for Conger eel using these reels for years and they have held up very well.

Agreed, I don't think an abu 7000 will have any problems with a striped bass. I've used 50lb braid on them with no problems.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:53 PM, BobBarker said:

Agreed, I don't think an abu 7000 will have any problems with a striped bass. I've used 50lb braid on them with no problems.

Not so much problems with the bass as with repeatedly cranking mojos.

The reels were designed for retrieving lures, a relatively low-strain activity, while grinding out lures, perhaps still being pulled by the boat, puts more consistent strain on the gears.  They'll last for a while, but the added stress will probably shorten their working lives,.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Not so much problems with the bass as with repeatedly cranking mojos.

The reels were designed for retrieving lures, a relatively low-strain activity, while grinding out lures, perhaps still being pulled by the boat, puts more consistent strain on the gears.  They'll last for a while, but the added stress will probably shorten their working lives,.

Yeah I see what you are saying. I've trolled with my abus for over 30 years and they are still going strong. But I don't troll with a locked up drag either so the line just slips before there is a problem.