Frank2104

Best Use of my Rods?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I usually fish on the beaches in DE. I have a 12' Offshore breakwater, heavy, mod fast paired with a Penn Battle 8000; a 10' Penn Squadron with a Daiwa 4000 reel; a 7 ft St Croix med/fast with a Shimano R4000; and an old flea market purchase 7' med heavy rod with an old generic 4000 size reel. 

Planning how I would want to use them this year. I have been throwing a fish finder or drum rig out for distance with the 12'. On the 10' I would either do a fish finder closer in or a hi/lo. The junk rod I would do a hi/lo in close. The new 7' St Croix I figured on using with either a hi/lo or soft baits in the wash for flounder. 

I've been reading that a lot of folks keep a rod on the side for throwing lures if opportunity should arise. Would the 10' rod be the one to keep set up like this?

Thanks in advance! Hope to maybe run into some of you on the beach this year. I drive a grey '21 Taco.

I’d say keep doing what you’re doing with the 12’. No other use for it IMO. You could also use it for medium duty shark fishing if you ever want to get into that. The 10’ would be the one I’d throw metals and plugs on if needed. I don’t use rods less than 10’ on the beach, but the st croix would probably be good for flounder fishing from the beach, at least to my knowledge. I’ve seen guys fishing with rods similar to that on AI. Do whatever you want with the junk rod. Hi lo sounds good for a rod like that. I used to only use a 10’ offshore angler power stick for lighter chunking and I still do and it caught and handled everything. Now I use heavier rods for chunking but I always keep it for throwing fleas in the spring and lighter chunking and mortician rigs in the late summer and fall. Hope this helps, tight lines:th:

On 5/15/2022 at 11:11 AM, Frank2104 said:

I usually fish on the beaches in DE. I have a 12' Offshore breakwater, heavy, mod fast paired with a Penn Battle 8000; a 10' Penn Squadron with a Daiwa 4000 reel; a 7 ft St Croix med/fast with a Shimano R4000; and an old flea market purchase 7' med heavy rod with an old generic 4000 size reel. 

Planning how I would want to use them this year. I have been throwing a fish finder or drum rig out for distance with the 12'. On the 10' I would either do a fish finder closer in or a hi/lo. The junk rod I would do a hi/lo in close. The new 7' St Croix I figured on using with either a hi/lo or soft baits in the wash for flounder. 

I've been reading that a lot of folks keep a rod on the side for throwing lures if opportunity should arise. Would the 10' rod be the one to keep set up like this?

Thanks in advance! Hope to maybe run into some of you on the beach this year. I drive a grey '21 Taco.

Sounds like you have a good set up! The st.croix should be adequate for targeting flounder in the wash up close, sounds like you already have enough bait rods.