TightLined

Van Staal & Lamiglas Pairing Advice

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Learning the sport still but at a point where I am ready to invest in better gear. 

Planning on buying a Van Staal VR150 or VR175 and pairing it up with a Lamiglas GSB. But not sure what to ultimately choose. 

Targeting stripers and blues. Will primarily be fishing the jetty at the Shinnecock Inlet, and the surf, wading off the surrounding beaches, and taking some trips to Montauk throughout the season.

For that application would you suggest a VR150 or VR175? What Lami GSB would you choose? 9’ , 10’ , Skinner 9’2?

Main goal is to upgrade my surf and jetty gear, but if possible, would love a versatile set up that I could also use in the back bays. 

Any sage advice is much appreciated! 

I have a GSB10MS paired with a VR200 (actually a 201, I’m a lefty) and it feels great to me. For lighter stuff I have an 8’ Avid with a VR51.

Retrieve rate is the most important difference. Decide what will enhance your typical fishing.  I prefer a fast retrieve. The larger spool will be faster. 

I don’t know your specific area, but I find myself using a 9’ moderate 3/4-4oz action rod with a VS150L 75ish% of the time on NJ beaches, inlets, and jettys. I have plenty of other stuff from light 7’ up to 11.5’ on the heavy side. 9’ goes with me most of the time for tossing bucktails, tins, and plugs. 

I always buy based on what I am doing 80% of the time and then make it work the other 20%. Sounds like for most of your fishing a 9’ GSB in the 1-4oz range would be perfect most of the time. Sorry but I don’t remember the blank number. Paired with a 175 you will have a great setup. My go to is a 9’ Arra with a VSX 150. The 9’s are light enough to throw all night and not get too tired. 
Now if you were fishing places like Montauk most of the time I would say go with a 10-11’ and a 200. 
Still, all a matter of personal preference. I would try to find someone with each kind of outfit and ask if you can make a few casts on the beach just to see the difference. Take your time deciding unless you just won the lotto. You are going to be forking over a lot of $$$. Every bit of it well spent absolutely!! But if you take your time and have a little patience you won’t be second guessing yourself. My 2 cents. 
Mike

Fishing the inlet requires heavier tackle ,  2 , 3 or sometimes 4 oz bucktails in fast moving current and the ability to control a decent fish and swing it up onto the rocks is no place for anything less than a 10 foot mh blank. Nothing worse than fishing in a lineup with someone who’s undergunned and shuts down the rotation because he can’t handle a 10 lb fish. 

I would recommend the GSB 10 M for any jetty type fishing even although the L is my favorite rod.

The 175 or 200 would work fine on any 10’ rod but I would go with the VSX or whatever the new one that’s coming out in the 200 size for what you want to do.

I have a 10’ L with a VSX 200. And a 9’ L with a VR125. Both pretty nicely balanced.

I would agree with Pakalolo, a 10’m is probably better for jetty’s for the reasons stated. I
I’m in eastern Suffolk. Hit me up if you want to take a couple of casts. 

pete

Best advise is when you go to the store, try out different combos.  I love the VSX200 paired with the Carbon Surf 10.5.  The GSB in the 10 pairs nice with it well.  The VR series I like the 175 with it.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the great advice everyone! For the applications I specified, what do you all think of the VR175 paired with the 9’2 GSB Skinner 2? 

Edited by TightLined

I use the VR150 on a 9'6" rod.  The line capacity is sufficient and I found with the smaller rotor/spool, I banged my fingers less.

Mine is the 1st generation VR, so maybe the dimensions have changed?

4 hours ago, TightLined said:

Thanks for the great advice everyone! For the applications I specified, what do you all think of the VR175 paired with the 9’2 GSB Skinner 2? 

Sounds good. If the Skinner edition costs more than the 1081L, I would just go for the lower priced rod. Enjoy!

The Skinner rod is just a cut down 10L.  For the rigors of jetty fishing, as mentioned earlier, I’d go with the 10M.