Heavy Hooksetter

Black @ night?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Black is the best night color, of course bring yellow or white etc. but you should always start with dark imo, the darker the better... 

Edited by Snook_Slayr

This thread is kind of a head scratcher for me considering there are multuple long-time members in here that don't fish black at night.  For me the amount of nights that black out fishes the lighter colors (yellow and white) for striped bass far outweighs the anomaly when the lighter colors are better.  This may be attributed to the fact that I go out of my way to avoid bright moonlit nights.

Also, I am talking strictly bass here.  If you want bluefish, by all means keep fishing your white and yellow plugs at night.

Very interesting replies, I would like to hear more! 

I, similar to @Heavy Hooksetter, have not had much success (if any!) with black! So reading others feedback in interesting to hear. 

I remember years ago a couple of my buddies had a spot that they continually caught at and only at night and only apparently with black bombers. I gave it a go (not at the exact same spot- but at places with fish) and didnt catch anything! I always did well with white at night or brighter colors or natural colors. 

I also found it curious as to why black? to me it didnt make sense, i guess using my human eyes and senses anyways. but i know fish eyes and senses are totally different- so we cant rely on that! And i remember people saying to hold a black plug up to a dark sky and it has better contrast then white. idk if thats true or not... BUT im not discrediting anyone here- its just not been my experience.

Burple on the other had has continually produced for me, even at dawn with some light. maybe i will give black a go again, when ever i have time maybe i will make a black and white plug identical and see if i notice a difference. if i catch on one- switch to the other...

I have read some interesting research on fish eyes specifically striped bass- they 'see' by using their eyes and lateral line combined. and apparently the one color they see best is chartreuse (a study looked at different light wavelegths and found that the wavelengths closest to this color where recognized easier) but im not sure if this test was at night or day.... 

my thought is this- if the fish uses the lateral line and eyes combine- maybe the fish finds the plug by feeling but cant really see it until its right on top of it- and ends up kinda getting smacked on the side of the mouth and hooked? do you guys who catch often with black ever notice irregular hook locations, like on the side of the mouth? instead of the front set of hooks right on the corner or top of the mouth?   

25 mins ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Very interesting replies, I would like to hear more! 

I, similar to @Heavy Hooksetter, have not had much success (if any!) with black! So reading others feedback in interesting to hear. 

I remember years ago a couple of my buddies had a spot that they continually caught at and only at night and only apparently with black bombers. I gave it a go (not at the exact same spot- but at places with fish) and didnt catch anything! I always did well with white at night or brighter colors or natural colors. 

I also found it curious as to why black? to me it didnt make sense, i guess using my human eyes and senses anyways. but i know fish eyes and senses are totally different- so we cant rely on that! And i remember people saying to hold a black plug up to a dark sky and it has better contrast then white. idk if thats true or not... BUT im not discrediting anyone here- its just not been my experience.

Burple on the other had has continually produced for me, even at dawn with some light. maybe i will give black a go again, when ever i have time maybe i will make a black and white plug identical and see if i notice a difference. if i catch on one- switch to the other...

I have read some interesting research on fish eyes specifically striped bass- they 'see' by using their eyes and lateral line combined. and apparently the one color they see best is chartreuse (a study looked at different light wavelegths and found that the wavelengths closest to this color where recognized easier) but im not sure if this test was at night or day.... 

my thought is this- if the fish uses the lateral line and eyes combine- maybe the fish finds the plug by feeling but cant really see it until its right on top of it- and ends up kinda getting smacked on the side of the mouth and hooked? do you guys who catch often with black ever notice irregular hook locations, like on the side of the mouth? instead of the front set of hooks right on the corner or top of the mouth?   

For me it kind of goes two ways for where they end up being hooked. Some nights color doesn't matter and they are just eating it, hooked in the mouth. Sometimes they are reacting to the presentation(we found them) but not getting hooked in the mouth. That's when I either a) try to drill down a color they will eat versus just react to and b) if that doesn't change results pretty quickly, I will cycle through the bag and try to fine tune the presentation they want(which is USUALLY what does it for me). Typically starting with what I believe to be next best or closest to what presentation and water column drew the first strikes to begin with. 

For example, I've had success switching from a surfster to z lip or from an A-40 to a Danny or Pikie, a SS darter to a mag darters, bottle to bottle darter, etc.

My last few outings(and last spring similar conditions) Ive tried this as its become my routine. Only color has made the most difference, it seems. It's still weird to me when my bag is typically yellow. In my case currently, I think presentation is the leader but color is the deal sealer. I'm throwing the same plugs!  Two weeks ago it was all white and yellow as usual. I can't get them to touch that recently. It goes against my own beliefs, I'm just listening to the fish!

Also as a fault of my own within this thread. I was sorta looping blurple and black into the same (dark) category. But they are different for sure. However, going back to color and shades. I still look at it general like that. Dark, bright, light. I use grayscale on my phone a lot to see for myself. Blurple does come in lighter than black usually...a dark gray. And it provides belly/back contrast on the plug. Where as yellow and white look light. Chartreuse seems to be white with a bright glow.

When you surfcast for a long time you learn and observe some valuable info.  Black plugs are one of the most important things I ever picked up on.  Very few patterns over the years have made an "absolute difference" for me, that being if you did not have the pattern... you did not catch. Plain and simple. 

Solid black Super Strike or Gibbs needle and a solid black loaded C10 Redfin have put me in business more often than not.

clear nights I use black or any darker color. 

I have caught them on light, dark, clear, cloudy, I just throw what gets them to eat and stay with it. Last summer and fall I did very well just throwing a white Ablie Snax for bass over a number of trips.

1 hour ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Burple on the other had has continually produced for me, even at dawn with some light. 

IMHO there is no difference between black and blurple.  I will buy, throw and catch on them interchangeably.  They both serve the dark plug pattern.

18 mins ago, MikeK said:

IMHO there is no difference between black and blurple.  I will buy, throw and catch on them interchangeably.  They both serve the dark plug pattern.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Different color...sure. Same shade/pattern though. "A couple yellow, a couple white and a few black or blurple" is a line I'd say. Lumping the two together...

Honestly would love to hear what SC and DZ have on that in particular.  How they see black/blurple... If they are going to react to blurple, they should react black, GENERALLY?Every instance is unique and really don't know until seeing what the fish want. Understanding that...

2 hours ago, Basswiper said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Different color...sure. Same shade/pattern though. "A couple yellow, a couple white and a few black or blurple" is a line I'd say. Lumping the two together...

Honestly would love to hear what SC and DZ have on that in particular.  How they see black/blurple... If they are going to react to blurple, they should react black, GENERALLY?Every instance is unique and really don't know until seeing what the fish want. Understanding that...

I use black and or black/purple interchangeably.  Both effectively. All depends on what I grab out of my plug supply at the time.  

3 hours ago, MikeK said:

99% of the time this is true, they are equivalents. But I do remember a few times where blurple was the color, toss black and you didn't catch. Toss blur-left and you did. 

3 hours ago, Basswiper said:

I never made a cast with blurple. Solid black never left my bag with all in triplicate

Edited by SC

7 mins ago, Drew C. said:

99% of the time this is true, they are equivalents. But I do remember a few times where blurple was the color, toss black and you didn't catch. Toss blur-left and you did. 

I can recall one time on block where it made a difference, but the fish were small and black still produced.  These outliers don't represent a pattern or trend indicating one color is better than the other.

7 mins ago, MikeK said:

I can recall one time on block where it made a difference, but the fish were small and black still produced.  These outliers don't represent a pattern or trend indicating one color is better than the other.

Nantucket was a good place food odd crap to happen. Some nights they'd only eat one thing and one thing only. Yellow and white - nope, but scratch was ok. Black, nope but blurple got eaten. A beat to hell smokey joe would crush but brand new would get ignored (we would beat new plugs on the sand to scratch them up lol).

I had a blurple bomber with the middle hook removed. That was my go to night fishing lure for years. One day this spring, I rarely fish bass in daylight, i got into some good size girls. While releasing one in waist deep water my line broke and I lost the lure. I was pissed, that lure had the paint wore off on the sides by the front hook. Any how, I threw a blurple mag darter on and never hooked another one that day. Go figure?

The night sky is actually a dark purple not black. So in theory black is the only color to be fully seen against a dark purple background. As far as blurple goes maybe the small amount of light from stars and the moon make the sky a bit of a lighter shade of purple. Making the blurple dark enough to cast a good silhouette again the sky. I would guess picking black over blurple would make a difference only on the the darkest of moonless nights. In theory. 

Edited by Tailslap