irishexit

Fishing at Night

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Given you have the right tide/wind/bait/moon...etc.....
Does it HAVE  to be 2 or 3 in the morning?

Or does it just need to be dark ?

4 mins ago, pakalolo said:

I prefer the creature hours , less ass hats to deal with. 

This!!

Something special about being alone on an open stretch of beach in the middle of the night.  

Dark for at least an hour, and then the right portion of the tide, whether it's 10pm or 3am.  I work off the tide I want more than any other factor.

Even during the day.

37 mins ago, irishexit said:

Given you have the right tide/wind/bait/moon...etc.....
Does it HAVE  to be 2 or 3 in the morning?

Or does it just need to be dark ?

I like the TOF to be around 11pm,after that it's all academic.

HH

8 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Dark for at least an hour, and then the right portion of the tide, whether it's 10pm or 3am.  I work off the tide I want more than any other factor.

Even during the day.

I agree and just like to add, now you got to find out if there biting on the incoming or out going and then you fish it till something changes.

I was only on one bite in my life that went 24 / 7 for 75 days in the same spot, and I'm 68. I would get there at sunset and fish till sunup

It’s whenever the fish show up, only way to know is if you fish all the tides. Usually there’s a pattern so you can just time it right and show up when they do, but you should be there early in case there’s other people.

I agree with one hour also. Seems like the bite slows up around last light then fires back up if fish are around. 

One thing I've noticed regarding fishing at night from shore...

Just 10 years ago, heck 5 years ago, I was usually alone at almost any spot besides a few obvious inlets/jetties.

Now at times, I'm seeing people all over at 3am and find myself running away from headlamps and highbeams! 

Lights on the beach!!!! Don’t even go there, headlights and headlamps ? Shut that sht off. 

Night time is the right time!!! I have to admit that all my nightshift cow bass I've landed were all before 1AM.

Posted (edited)

I don’t normally fish at night in the salt unless I’m on the beach or pier, and I have yet to catch a striper from the sand. It’s mostly sharks I catch at night on the beach, and it normally doesn’t even matter what tide it is. So I’ll speak about my freshwater night fishing experiences.

90% of my night fishing is for walleyes. The other 10% is for carp. Walleye fishing generally (at least for me) tends to fire up 30 minutes to an hour before dark and will continue through the night, but sometimes they are super finicky and won’t bite all night. Sometimes they’ll smash baits from 9 to 7, and sometimes you’ll get one every other cast for 30 minutes and nothing else the rest of the night. And the best part is there is no way of telling how the fish will behave.

I fish with a guy who says he HAS to be  there at midnight-3 am because that’s when they bite the best. They might, but all of the walleyes I’ve ever caught were before midnight. Normally I’m worn out by 11 and I don’t want to be out there until sun up, and I still catch plenty of walleyes. 

One thing about night fishing for walleyes is sometimes some stupid b*stard with a bow trying to shoot whatever fish legal or not will come out with a 5 billion lumen spotlight and light up the whole river or lake. Normally people will get pissed at him and curse him out, but I stay out of it. I just pack up and leave. Once that light hits the water, no chance you will catch anything. I want to throw those sunsabitches into the water sometimes lol. I HATE bowfisherman when I’m night fishing. Shine that light somewhere else. They have no respect for others and shine the light right in your eyes. Then a lot of the carp bow fishermen leave the carp they shoot to rot on the bank. I once saw about 15 carp lining the bank, and guess what, there was a guy bow fishing. Once those corpses rot, they STINK. But I’ll stop here, because if I kept talking about dumb bowfishermen with portable car headlights and no regard for other people’s noses this would be an hour long read.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

Night is always right ! Plan ahead and just grab the tide that you think you’d have the best chances. Just go a bit earlier to secure your chance of someone not taking your spot.