Surfinator

New 7WT

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I want to add a second 7wt to my collection. Budget is 600$. I will be throwing streamers in the 2-5" range in fresh and saltwater from a boat. I have a TFO Axiom 2x which I like, but want to try a different brand..if not Id be happy with another 2X. Only issue is I wont be able to cast it before buying since there are no fly shops within 100 miles. Any suggestions on models I should check out ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I recently (several months back) splurged on a new 7 weight G Loomis NRX. I test cast that rod next to a Scott Sector and chose the NRX. But my reason was pretty specific - while I plan to use a variety of lines (floating and sinking), it was most important to me that it handled the integrated shooting head lines (250 grain specifically). That rod loaded just right without feeling like a broomstick, and that was it.

So with that said, what do you want to do with the rod you're looking for (in terms of lines you'll be throwing)?

Edited by albacized

I'm looking to mainly throw intermediate or sink 3 type lines with a floater mixed in for topwater. Lines that I currently have are Airflo Coldsalt 8wt Int, SA Bass Bug 7wt, SA Sonar Titan sink 3 7wt. 

53 mins ago, Surfinator said:

I want to add a second 7wt to my collection. Budget is 600$. I will be throwing streamers in the 2-5" range in fresh and saltwater from a boat. I have a TFO Axiom 2x which I like, but want to try a different brand..if not Id be happy with another 2X. Only issue is I wont be able to cast it before buying since there are no fly shops within 100 miles. Any suggestions on models I should check out ?

Trident offers a test casting program, you can try a rod for 7 days and return it at no cost. I don't know much else about it tho.

ps - They call it their castability guarantee. 

Edited by Drew C.

5 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Trident offers a test casting program, you can try a rod for 7 days and return it at no cost. I don't know much else about it tho.

Really. I was just on their site a few days ago and didn't see that. I'll check it again. That would definitely help me out.

20 mins ago, Surfinator said:

Really. I was just on their site a few days ago and didn't see that. I'll check it again. That would definitely help me out.

Click on 'rods' and it is towards the bottom on the left.

8 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Click on 'rods' and it is towards the bottom on the left.

Yep I see it! Thanks!

They have 3 of the ones on my short list..IMX Pro, T&T Zone and Streamer X

Edited by Surfinator

1 hour ago, Surfinator said:

Are you looking new or used?

Sage Maverick - I have both the Maverick and axiom 2X in 7wt - both are great rods, but I find the Maverick to be more accurate and a better for sight casting. If you like the Axiom, you will like the Maverick. 

I used Trident’s castability guarantee in a situation like this once and was quite pleased with their ability to let you use a rod and return it—I forget the time period it was. That might be a decent way to solve the problem of not having a shop close 

51 mins ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

Sage Maverick - I have both the Maverick and axiom 2X in 7wt - both are great rods, but I find the Maverick to be more accurate and a better for sight casting. If you like the Axiom, you will like the Maverick. 

I will have to check that out. I never tried anything Sage

41 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I used Trident’s castability guarantee in a situation like this once and was quite pleased with their ability to let you use a rod and return it—I forget the time period it was. That might be a decent way to solve the problem of not having a shop close 

I read its 7 days which is plenty of time. I wouldn't think of fishing it though. A few days casting should be good to decide.

On 14/05/2022 at 9:18 PM, srm413 said:

orvis recon $598

I loved the old Recons. I can't get over the fact that I never paid more than $400 for one and I have 4. Now they are $600 for a 'mid-priced' rod that is heavier than the old version puts me off. But I have never cast one so I could be talking c**p?