dannyplug1

Spring striped bass

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Curious is there a reduction of striper feeding at night as compared to other times during the season was out a few days ago had some hits.  But when the dark arrived, nothing though I knew the fish were there.  Wonder if night feeding is a pattern that develops as the season goes on.

I found many times that the bite dropped off at sunset then picked back up after a hour or so. As if they were adjusting to the light change.

its about the water temp and feeding temp of both bait and bass during the early spring but this will change rapidly as soon as the water temps push higher, a week  to ten days at most .

Seems like every year about this time I hear shore/bay anglers lamenting the sudden disappearance  of stripers.... Meanwhile.. 100 miles up the Hudson river:  ;)  

20220510_161647.jpg

On 5/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, boulderdash said:

its about the water temp and feeding temp of both bait and bass during the early spring but this will change rapidly as soon as the water temps push higher, a week  to ten days at most .

agreed, early season western sound night bite can be and was real slow... that is why it is important to have 50 plus degree temperatures at night. March and April were horrible this year.

It was a very cold spring and of course with mostly north and North west winds it never had a chance to get warm even if we had a warm day or two thrown in.

Not saying there won't be any night bite but warmer water temps I do feel help the night bite in the early spring, just my .02