Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 14 - May 21

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Kooky said:

A few nights ago they would charge back at it till they made solid contact, last night they would not commit. I would follow up with an unweighted Fin-s or something else with a slightly different look but nope.  They would only follow the spook.  Im blaming the big moon tide....

Also PSA if you havent packed your bug spray now is the time, biting gnats and mosquitos were out in force last night.

Lotsa bait present? Nothing more aggravating than noncomittal fish.

It's seaweed city. Tough conditions, but managed one striper this evening. Might start fluking this week.

anybody running into big blues yet in the bay? went out to lower part before sunset last night and witnessed an angler walking back to the car with a decent sized blue. 

They usually start soon, and are around in good numbers by last week in May.... I have not seen any yet

GF and I hit east beach on Sunday evening for a few casts.  
no love on topwater or rubba shads.

Tried Misquamicut but the fog rolled in and I was half naked and needed a coffee.

We were gonna hit a bay spot on the ride home but my bones were froze.

7 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

GF and I hit east beach on Sunday evening for a few casts.  
no love on topwater or rubba shads.

Tried Misquamicut but the fog rolled in and I was half naked and needed a coffee.

We were gonna hit a bay spot on the ride home but my bones were froze.

Naked!? Watch out for the bluefish! :eek:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another great night. Everyone limited out. More schoolies in the mix tonight but threw back multiple slots as well. Left them biting

Edited by LockedDrag

Got the skunk last night.

Went out pretty late last night near the bottom third of outgoing tide through the bottom. Hit three major spots. Lots of weed and water moving at the first, decent sized surf at the second, and seemingly not enough water at the third. All three are pretty new to me so it was more of an exploration than a real try at fishing but it still would have been nice to get a piece of the action.

No one else was out until about 330 when I saw three guys about a quarter mile away. I could see them from a quarter mile away because all three had the brightest headlamps on and didn’t turn them off once.

15 mins ago, AClarke said:

Got the skunk last night.

Went out pretty late last night near the bottom third of outgoing tide through the bottom. Hit three major spots. Lots of weed and water moving at the first, decent sized surf at the second, and seemingly not enough water at the third. All three are pretty new to me so it was more of an exploration than a real try at fishing but it still would have been nice to get a piece of the action.

No one else was out until about 330 when I saw three guys about a quarter mile away. I could see them from a quarter mile away because all three had the brightest headlamps on and didn’t turn them off once.

Concentrate your efforts from Newport to Mount Hope Bay areas. That’s where the hot bite has been. I know traveling long distances might suck but it can be very rewarding. 

Togged today, wing against tide for most of the day. Less than ideal conditions. Still managed a dozen keepers.

Until the June moon I pretty much focus from mid to upper bay.  Not exclusively but focus on areas around herring runs. Things seem to have really improved the last week. Nothing huge but noticeable increase in size and fresh fish.