JBstripes

Colorado rockies ??

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, JimP said:

SHB - that's the run I used to do on my motorcycle when I lived in Colorado.  Did two tours at Carson in CS.  LOVED it!!!  All the above recommendations are spot-on.  Just fly in and go.  You won't be disappointed.  I'm taking the fam to Leadville in July for two weeks.  Gonna spend some time in Breck, go see some mountain sheep, mountain goats, climb some "hills," hit some breweries, do some hikes, etc.  No matter where you go you'll have fun.  Recommend the Springs as you won't run out of stuff to do. Hit the zoo; Garden of the Gods; Manitou; Gold-Camp road back through the mountains into the old mining towns; hike some of Pikes Peak up the Barr trail; you really can't even come close to scratching the surface of things to do there.  

Salida has a top notch gun shop.

And it's a rare mtn town today that doesn't have a brewery,  and or good steakhouse. 

South Park, or The Bayou Salade was popular wintering area for mountain men.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_(Park_County,_Colorado)

Edited by shb

I grew up in CS. All good suggestions. The shb route above is good. I’d recommend a detour into Westcliff and the Wet Mountain Valley. 

On the East Slope I would recommend Estes Park & Rocky Mtn National park.

I prefer the West Slope a bit more. I have wonderful memories of Lake City (hence my screen name) and Ouray. Do a jeep tour. Telluride is great but I lived there in the 80’s and I was a bit dismayed by the development when I went through a couple years ago.

Have fun. 

3 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Try google street view :) 

:)

I first noticed this thread last night and wasn't paying much attention, was watching the Mets game.  Just realizing now he's talking about visiting the Colorado "Rockies," as in area, not baseball team. :laugh:

Denver still smells like pot.  Dirty hippies.

Thanks for all the great replies guys .. after further talking with the ladie , she wants to go late September/early October.    She was there a few years back for the beer festival at that time and said the weather was perfect.  Been googling all the recommendations, all look awesome . We’ll see what happens and if I actually book something 

On 5/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, Kings over Queens said:

:)

I first noticed this thread last night and wasn't paying much attention, was watching the Mets game.  Just realizing now he's talking about visiting the Colorado "Rockies," as in area, not baseball team. :laugh:

Denver still smells like pot.  Dirty hippies.

And nothing wrong with the smell of pot , I’ll fit rite in …

1 hour ago, JBstripes said:

Thanks for all the great replies guys .. after further talking with the ladie , she wants to go late September/early October.    She was there a few years back for the beer festival at that time and said the weather was perfect.  Been googling all the recommendations, all look awesome . We’ll see what happens and if I actually book something 

Early to mid-October is when the Aspens turn and is an excellent time to go. Unless you get an early snowfall of course.

As I mentioned before, find a jeep tour. However since you moved your trip to October you might want to book something like this early. 

Yup - Aspens explode 2d week of October.  My favorite time to be in the mountains.  The Elk rut starts, you can get up into the alpine meadows and hear them bugling.  

23 mins ago, JimP said:

Yup - Aspens explode 2d week of October.  My favorite time to be in the mountains.  The Elk rut starts, you can get up into the alpine meadows and hear them bugling.  

Perfect time to run into a Sasquatch 

10 hours ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Perfect time to run into a Sasquatch 

There's no ****ing sasquatch!

If you're going early spring bring your skis. First week of May we drove over the mountains in a blizzard on two occasions.