JBstripes

Colorado rockies ??

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Hey guys , has any one here took a trip to the rockies ? I have some air fair credit set to expire soon. Me and my girl were talking about maybe a trip to Colorado . Would be an early spring trip probably . We both love the outdoors .   Not looking to do 8 mile hikes , just driving spot to spot checking things out .   Looking for a little feed back on hotels/air BB’s , local must see spots ,  good little strips of restaurants/bars, etc …    Thanks 

Early spring can mean 60's and sunny or 16" of pow. I'd recomend first weeks of June. Fly into DIA, drive to Buena Vista and use that as a base.  Shitton of outside stuff around the Collegiate Peaks. Hiking, biking, climbing, rafting, its Colorado for ****ake. Day trip south to Garden of the Gods in CoSprings, North to Leadville, Copper, Vail.  You can't do it all. 

If you find yourself near Steamboat Springs there is Strawberry hotsprings. Spend the night there or just the night shift in the pools. Clothing optional after dark. Far enough from town for an incredible night sky. You can also camp in Routt National forest. 

1 hour ago, Kneel said:

Early spring can mean 60's and sunny or 16" of pow. I'd recomend first weeks of June. Fly into DIA, drive to Buena Vista and use that as a base.  Shitton of outside stuff around the Collegiate Peaks. Hiking, biking, climbing, rafting, its Colorado for ****ake. Day trip south to Garden of the Gods in CoSprings, North to Leadville, Copper, Vail.  You can't do it all. 

I was going to mention this so, I second it.

8 hours ago, JBstripes said:

Hey guys , has any one here took a trip to the rockies ? I have some air fair credit set to expire soon. Me and my girl were talking about maybe a trip to Colorado . Would be an early spring trip probably . We both love the outdoors .   Not looking to do 8 mile hikes , just driving spot to spot checking things out .   Looking for a little feed back on hotels/air BB’s , local must see spots ,  good little strips of restaurants/bars, etc …    Thanks 

Beautiful place to go. Durango, Ouray, Mesa Verde, Silverton, Vail, Aspen. Rode the train up to Pikes Peak. Colorado Springs although others places listed are much nicer in my opinion. I to would recommend going early summer as some of the high pass driving roads might still closed for ice/snow. Good luck.

SHB - that's the run I used to do on my motorcycle when I lived in Colorado.  Did two tours at Carson in CS.  LOVED it!!!  All the above recommendations are spot-on.  Just fly in and go.  You won't be disappointed.  I'm taking the fam to Leadville in July for two weeks.  Gonna spend some time in Breck, go see some mountain sheep, mountain goats, climb some "hills," hit some breweries, do some hikes, etc.  No matter where you go you'll have fun.  Recommend the Springs as you won't run out of stuff to do. Hit the zoo; Garden of the Gods; Manitou; Gold-Camp road back through the mountains into the old mining towns; hike some of Pikes Peak up the Barr trail; you really can't even come close to scratching the surface of things to do there.